1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Zulu Watch Strap Recommendation

Discussion in 'Watches' started by ArnieJB, Mar 6, 2015.

1. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

I am planning on picking up a Zulu / NATO style strap for my Seiko Black Monster and I am looking for some input. I definitely prefer the Zulu style with the rounded hardware, but I'm torn between the basic 2 ring versus the 4 or 5 ring that loop back under the watch. My wrist is about 7" and I don't want too much extra strap. Secondly, the Monster uses a 20mm band, but I am contemplating getting a 22mm size and squeezing it just a hair. This will also then fit my SKX watches that use the 22mm size. Anyone else do this? Thank you in advance for your input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

These straps make your watch sit a bit higher than usual. Im a real fan of big watches but having a big watch sit on top of a little hill on your wrist just feels very awkward to me and the 4-ring bands i think you are referring to make the watch (obviously) sit twice as high on your wrist as the more simple 2-ring band. For that reason i prefer the more simple NATO's. Also, i never understood the extra strap under the watch anyways.... it doesnt add a whole lot to the equation.

And dont use 22mm straps on a 20mm watch. It will just look mangled.

ArnieJB likes this.
  3. Foxwalk

Foxwalk Loaded Pockets

Concur. Zulu straps use thicker nylon and can make the watch on your wrist look big and bulky. I tried to do Zulu's on my SKX007 and it just didn't work. NATO's are the way to go, and I've grown to like the squared hardware quite a bit. On the plus side, NATO's are very affordable, I have 5 different straps for my Seiko and it set me back about $40.

4. Foxwalk

Foxwalk Loaded Pockets

Forgot to mention, make sure you get extra lugs and a lug removal tool.

5. Westerdutch

Nah, you don't need tools for a Monster, they have fully drilled lugs so all you need to remove any band is a paperclip.

If you want some awesome springbars get 'rolex-type' springbars (they probably have an official name but i always fine em fine by searchin for that). They are quite a bit stronger than regular ones.

'Rolex-type'
    [​IMG]

Regular ones;
    [​IMG]

As you can see the rolex bars have the thick tube over the full width between the lugs so there's no thinner wobbely bit that can bend or work itself undone.... not that its a problem with a nato/zulu strap as unlike with a normal watchband the watch will stay on you wrist fine even with one bar completely gone but since you have drilled lugs you might as well go for the stronger ones. Now that i think of it, could be that Seiko fits these on monsters standard, i dont recall...

Little warning for people reading this and think these bars are awesome; If your watch does NOT have drilled lugs do NOT use these bars. Especially with metal bands as you will NEVER GET THEM OFF AGAIN! Just a heads up ;)

ArnieJB and Foxwalk like this.
  6. karlito
    • +1 Supporter

karlito Loaded Pockets

I like the rounded hardware of the zulus over a nato, but can't do the 4/5 a zulu, the watch can only be positioned in one location on the strap as opposed to anywhere on a two ring. Due to my wrist size (6.5"), when I use a 4 ring strap the buckle is placed on my wrist bone. The 2 ring strap allows my to place the watch so that the watch and buckle are on opposite sides of my wrist. The 4 ring zulu also looks crowded in my opinion. It may be better on larger wrists but not mine.
    I also wear my watches on the underside of my wrist so the added thickness of a zulu or nato is not really an issue for me.

I think a 20mm strap on a Monster looks a bit thin, but don't squeeze 22mm strap between 20mm lugs, it may put too much strain on the pins. You may want to notch the 22mm and heat seal the cuts.

Last edited by karlito, Mar 6, 2015
  7. Westerdutch

Yeah i ordered a 4ring zulu once just to try it out but could not live with the bulkyness and the awkward placement of the rings like you said.... so i ended up cutting the 'double' part off and now i have a single strap zulu. Every zulu i bought after that one i just went for the 2-ring variant straight away. I now have em in black, green and orange all with metal and black hardware. Orange is my fav, here a quick phonepic from my old tissot with pretty worn zulu;

[​IMG]

deeker and Nighted like this.
  8. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

I ended up getting the 4 ring Zulu in olive green. I loved the look of the combo with the black monster that I saw others on this forum sporting. In fact, it was this combo that prompted me to buy the monster in the first place. I trimmed about an inch off the end so there was less material to have to tuck back in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camit34 and EXCALIBUR like this.
  9. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

My orange monster is regularly on a heavy duty orange NATO from natostrap. It's square hardware which I prefer, but the current site picture shows round.

Zulu NATO. Whatever you like. Either way get the proper size something to small can sometimes carry a pin out of socket. Something to wide will rub the edges against the inside of the lug as you take it on and off (and a little while wearing) and fray the strap over time. (I've also read reports of the extra material bunching between pin and lug and preventing a pin for seating properly, but that seems strange unless you are setting the band and then inserting the pin)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Westerdutch

Looking sharp!

Foxwalk and ArnieJB like this.
  11. dan1876

dan1876 Empty Pockets

I recommend daluca straps. They are heavy duty and they have 3 ring and 5 ring available. I use wire cutters to remove the 5th ring making it a 4 ring.

[​IMG]

ArnieJB, camit34 and Foxwalk like this.
  12. bitonebit

bitonebit Loaded Pockets

I always buy Nato straps and cut the extra part off. I like it because the watch sits much closer to my wrist (I don't like any wiggle room). And I can position all the metal pieces under my wrist.

This is where I cut:
    [​IMG]

This is about how far I position the watch below the rings:
    [​IMG]

All the 'hardware' is then located under the wrist:
    [​IMG]
    Instead of right on top of the watch which I always thought felt/looked weird.

Resulting in:
    [​IMG]

ArnieJB and camit34 like this.