1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Zt or spyderco?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by soundlessnut, Sep 17, 2015.

1. soundlessnut

soundlessnut Loaded Pockets

Hi guys, I have the opportunity to purchase a decent knife and I've narrowed it down to the spyderco delica 4 titanium Damascus or a ZT 0350KW.
    I've never owned either brand so I'm kinda in the dark about them. The reviews on both seem pretty decent.

I like assisted openers but I'm not too hung up on whether my main blade has one.
    As for Damascus, I don't know, is it practical or just pretty?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

QuodErat and BigKurtHaze like this.
  2. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

You couldn't pick two more different knives? There is a big size difference between the two, do you prefer larger or smaller knives?
    The correct answer is BOTH!

McGoose, Civilian, gemini and 6 others like this.
  3. BigKurtHaze
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

BigKurtHaze Loaded Pockets

+1

4. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

+1

gemini, Dorian and soundlessnut like this.
  5. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

Damascus is in the same league as 154cm steal, so its more than adequate (i suppose it wouldn't be still a thing if it wasn't useful). But I've heard that it can rust easily, so regular oiling and keeping it dry will keep it more than safe. Can't comment on the ZT since i don't have one, but i would get one anyway :p if you don't like it you can always sell it

soundlessnut likes this.
  6. soundlessnut

That's another problem, I don't mind large or small. I like the zt for its blade design (it's vain I know) and I like the spydie because it's aesthetically appealing.

ZT is a good brand though right? It's more heavy duty looking for sure.
    Both would be ideal, I wear a suit for work so the spydie could be my weekday, and the zt could be my weekend beater. Only thing holding me back on getting both are the prices

7. ric1975

ric1975 Empty Pockets

Hello!

did you hold them in your hands already?

i like the look of spyderco police and the reviews are fine BUT i had it in hands and there i noticed its not for me.

too heavy
    not fingerflickable
    too expensive (we in europe pay nearly double prize for the knives)

have them in hands and if you like them buy both (maybe not at the same time - XMAS is coming)
    bye ric

soundlessnut likes this.
  8. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

Well anyone who knows me here knows what my choice would be, just something special about that hole in the blade. Have you considered a paramilitary 2? Such a fantastic knife for the money.

Liquid Pogy likes this.
  9. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Both brands are excellent. Save some cash and buy the Delica without the Ti and Damascus. The Damascus is about three times the price.

10. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

That ZT is a big blade in comparison to the Spydie, since i already got a big ZT (0560) i would go for the Spydie.... pretty and not too eye-browing.

soundlessnut likes this.
  11. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

You're at the wrong place to ask This one or That one? You know the answer must be, Both!
    And share the pictures! ;)

gemini, Dorian and soundlessnut like this.
  12. soundlessnut

Unfortunately I have to rely on what the Internet tells me, stores in my city are limited in what they sell so I have to buy online. The more I look at the spyderco line that's available here the more I like them.

I'm adding more to my list as I type!

13. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

What's your budget, also do you have specific use requirements or is just for EDC. This might help narrow down models that fit.

14. soundlessnut

I'm aiming for around $250-$350nzd. Just looking for an edc folder. I've just watched a review on the spyderco and I've gotta say I'm leaning in that direction

15. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

ZT's are too overbuilt for me. They are too much knife (for me) for a pocket knife. As in, they are a 'tactical/heavy duty folder', and I don't feel the need for that...

on the other side of the coin, I own multiple Spyderco's and enjoy them all, they all get carried. They are great slicers, and are quite tough for 'medium' duty knives.

Hertz33 likes this.
  16. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Those are very different knives, pretty much all they have in common are being knives and having pocket clips lol. Basically though if you're hard on your knife and abuse it some the ZT is the better option. If you prefer lighter carry and better slicing the Delica wins.

17. Hertz33

Hertz33 EDC Junkie!!!

Than you ought to try the 0450. One of the slickest, thinnest, lightest ZT's yet. And on the other hand it feels very substantial. I'm not a big ZT guy. In fact the only one I've owned was the 0560 and I almost never carry it. Like you I don't like big, overbuilt, tactical folders.
    The other one I really enjoy is the 0900. I can carry it for days knowing it can perform any EDC task I throw at him. The action is amazing and I love the design, beefy blade and lots of belly. The 2015 offerings by ZT really put them in all around category other than tactical overbuilt. I hate to say it but those two had pushed my Spydies out of my pocket for a while now. And they won't break the bank either. Around $150 for the 0450 and $180 for the 0900.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

18. The Last Crow On The Wire

The Last Crow On The Wire Loaded Pockets

Zt 0808...built like a mini-tank!

Bubba stump and ManVsLawn like this.
  19. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hertz33 - that 0450 is sleek.

How do you like it compared to your Spydie Southard?

20. Hertz33

Hertz33 EDC Junkie!!!

It's hard to compare them really. I thought that the Southard was the perfect EDC for me but now start to question myself. I'd even put the 0450 in a gentleman's folder category being it so thin, slim and light profiled. But it's only method of deployment is with the flipper only and with snappy detent and low profile blade you can't really open the blade by pulling it out. It flies out with authority which can be intimidating in some circles. It's really light to medium EDC folder. The Southard seems to go beyond that with the thicker blade stock. I still prefer the 0900 to both above though. Helluva little big knife. Curses ZT for making me prefer you over Spyderco. But they still fresh to me so that might change...

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn likes this.