1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

ZT 0350 review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Wolf427, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Wolf427

Wolf427 Loaded Pockets

So I recently bought a ZT 0350, and have been using it for the past 4 days. Over that time, I have found out both pros and cons of the knife. This is my first review, so I apologize in advance if there is anything I miss, or do wrong.

When I got the knife, I was happy with the packaging. The black ZT box is nice, and inside there is the knife, which is in bubble wrap, and a small manual.

First impressions of the knife were good. I was very happy with the weight, feel, and look. Weight is important to me, and this knife has the perfect weight for its size. The weight distribution is perfect, making the knife feel lighter.The knife looks great, I dig the blade shape, and the handle length. The G10 feels good, but compared to my Manix 2, I dont like it. Not enough purchase, but it is good quality(as it should be). I liked that the knife was a liner lock, and was assisted. The flipper is a good feature on the knife, since using the thumbstuds is very tricky. If you are left handed, you wont even be able to open the knife using the thumbstuds. If you are right handed you should be fine. This shouldnt even be noted, because the "thumbstuds" are actually blade stops. So the flipper is the primary (and I would say only), method of opening the knife. Only issue with using the flipper, is that if you continually do this, your fingers will hurt, since they smash right into the jimping. Speaking of the jimping, it is fantastic on this knife. It is very comfortable, works surprisingly well, and looks good too. This brings us to the ergonomics of the knife, which are great. The knife fits comfortably in the hand in both regular grip, saber grip, and reverse grip. The handle is a little short, but its nice, because you get more control. The spine of the blade has a "dip" in it, which makes the knife more comfortable to hold when you move up on the blade for more precision. The liner of the knife is okay. I was not happy with the fact that the liner lockbar is milled, which I'm sure aids with the liner moving, but reduces strength. The liner is not jimped, so I assume if it was wet or dirty/bloody, it could be hard to disengage. The knife offers a 4 position clip, which is great for everyone. I carry mine tip-up, right hand. The clip is good, probably one of my favourites, because it is short, and holds onto your pocket very well. The knife does stick out of the pocket a lot, but I like this because it allows me to grab the knife more easily. When I removed the clip, I noticed that the part which the pivot screw, screws into, is not black. But I like that, since it gives some contrast.

On to the negatives of this knife.
    The most noticible issues of this knife, is that the torsion bar makes so much noise. However, I fixed this by taking the knife apart, and adding grease.
    The next thing is, the blade stop is not centered, it sticks out about 1mm more on one side than the other.
    The last, and biggest issue with the knife, is the blade centering. The blade was so off center, that it was rubbing the liner, and the DLC coating was starting to come off. I could not see bare metal, but the DLC coating was becoming reflective in that spot.

Overall, this knife is fantastic. I would, and will buy one again. If you are looking for a good tactical folder, and dont want to get ripped off buying an Emerson(LOL), then grab one of these bad boys, you wont be disappointed.

Please let me know if there is anything I left out in this review.
    Also, sorry for the lack of proper paragraphs haha.

derfyled and amdmaxx like this.
  2. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

good review. sucks about your blade centering...i have 3 and they're all pretty close to center. and i agree the torsion bar rattle is a little annoying. i like a beefy blade and this is one of the best looking blade shapes in my opinion.

3. Wolf427

Wolf427 Loaded Pockets

Thanks!
    Ya, I contacted ZT, and they want me to send it in. I cant right now, because I can barely put it down haha. Its good to know they dont normally have that problem. The grease did fix the issue for me, I really packed it in there though. I absolutely agree on the blade shape. It looks fantastic. I am definitely going to buy some more of these knives, I'll probably just buy used though.

4. Wolf427

Wolf427 Loaded Pockets

Well I just found out the the screws on the knife make a huge difference on whether or not the blade rubs. Just tightened down some screws, and the blade was rubbing bad. Then I loosened a few, and the blade is not rubbing anymore. I'm going to send it in once my 0200 gets here.

5. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

Great review, I was also going to suggest sending it, I just picked 2 0302 and they came out dead center right out of the box.

6. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

you could buy blems too, very inexpensive compared to new.

7. Wolf427

Wolf427 Loaded Pockets

Yes exactly. I forgot to mention that.

8. pilote

pilote Loaded Pockets

i've been using an ST version for awhile; was perfect out of the box...with use the blade has gone off center...not a concern in the least; not gonna waste time sending it in; it's been a workhorse for me...

9. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I've been meaning to buy one! I really want the 0350 with the CB blade though...all of them are around $150-$200 :/

10. mrpink

mrpink Banned

their quality control is absolutely horrible, ive had 4 zt 0350s before i finally got a decent one, then i sent that one in for blade centering....AND i had to send in my 0551 for centering. its really :censored:. these are expensive knives. again i am syaing that their quality control f&&king sucks. i dont give a **** where it s mde but make it right. idiots.

11. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

ive been quite happy with my ZT 350 CB the blade is awesome and it has no issues

im thinking to have the clip moved to make it a lefty and tip up

12. Wolf427

Wolf427 Loaded Pockets

Noticed a new thing on the knife today. In the closed position, if you push down on the blade, it will move quite abit. This is because the blade stops rest on the liner lock lock bar, and it flexes. This can be bad if you manage to squeeze the knife together when carrying it, possibly by bumping into something. There's a very slight chance of this happening, but it could damage the backspacer, or the lock bar if its hit hard enough.

13. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

i have 3 0350's, all from different dealers, all 3 where good, with the cbzdp189 being perfect in every way. maybe i just had a run of good luck, or maybe you had a run of bad luck.

14. Wolf427

Wolf427 Loaded Pockets

Little update.
    I've had the knife for almost a month now. I really really love it. KAI sent me some new back spacer screws,a new pivot screw, and a new backspacer (I only asked for the backspacer screws). I replaced a stripped out screw, and used some thread locker on the pivot screw. The black centering issue is fixed. The blade no longer comes in contact with the liners. I am going to buy a few more, probably blems.

amdmaxx likes this.
  15. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

It's a sensible review. I never warmed-up to the behemoth that is the 0300. This one seems more pocket-friendly. I plan to add this to my hiking kit to supplement my Colt Python.

Good luck with resolving the centering issue.

amdmaxx likes this.
  16. Ktowngunner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ktowngunner Loaded Pockets

I've been using my 0350 as my primary EDC blade for a few months now and have been extrememly impressed with it! I tend to use my gear to the point of abuse at times, and this blade has taken it all and asked for me. Really surprised with how well the blade retains it's edge too. It's a little difficult to get the edge I want on it once it dulls, but I don't mind the few extra minutes sharpening for the work I get out of it!

Wolf427 likes this.
  17. Wolf427

Wolf427 Loaded Pockets

Another updated. The DLC coating on the blade is holding up very well, much better than I expected. Been using it every day, and the edge retention is fantastic(as expected). bought another one, just so I have a back up. This knife is in my top 5 favourite knives.

EODPaul likes this.