1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Zippo Slim, experience?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by sino2, Feb 7, 2017.

1. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

Hi guys,
    i'm interessted recently in zippos again. While i like small,slim edc gear, I not much in love with my zippo slim, polished chrome: its so slippery and unsecure in my hands, i almost drop it instantly. The regularsize Zippos feel better in my hand i can lit it up easy. Also important: the regular is aviable in millions of cool designs, so its a can match to my taste and i can rotate the lighter to my mood.

Life could be so easie, but : in the wintertime its not a problem to put the regular in my jacket, but when the summers comes it could be not much for me, so i would like to use the slim more.

So my questions is, if the problems i experice with my slim zippo is due to the small size or the polished chrome finish? Should i check an other zippo slim with a different finish?

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Put a piece of bicycle innertube or even some painters tape around the lower body for a little while and see if it still falls. If it does then the size is the problem, otherwise its the slipperiness....

What sized hands do you have?

sino2 likes this.
  3. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

I dont know the correct size no, but small with small fingers.

Rubber or taper would make the grip much better i guess, but that wouldn't be a real solution.And the question is, if the slim is better to grip with a different surface, e.g venetian brass or does that make not much difference here; something more experienced users can tell me

4. THERoxyStarr

THERoxyStarr Loaded Pockets

I used to carry a Zippo slim, and have small hands compared to most on this forum, and I had the same experience. The full size Zippos just plain feel better in the hand. I would suggest trying to carry it in the winter, and seeing how important it becomes to your EDC. If you enjoy carrying it, you'll find a way to work it into your EDC.

sino2 likes this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

One more consideration with the Zippo slim; and I think also with certain re-issues of some of the older Zippo models. Many of us like to use a butane insert in a Zippo rather than the classic Zippo fuel. (Clean burning for cigars & pipes; eliminates the historic Zippo problem of fuel evaporation.). Unfortunately, these inserts do not seem to fit the Zippo slim.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

sino2 likes this.
  6. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

I have a Butaneinsert with piezo-ignited softflame for my slim, but its true that i couldnt find a flint-ignition softflame for it. The standardsize zippo has a benefits here.

7. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I have a slim also. My problems are not with the size and difficulty manipulating it, I had/have other problems. First is, even though I have several of the slim models, I have the continual problem that the slim models seem to run out of fuel even faster and more annoyingly often than the full size models. I generally go a week between filling the full size models while the slims seem to run out in two or three days.

It may be a due to my hand size, but I find the slim models to be more difficult to light, even when full. I know a Zippo isn't a bic that lights the first time every time, but it seems that all my slim models take several flicks to get lit.

I love the small size and pocket friendliness, just wish they worked better for me.

Grizz

8. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

Same here. I tried my slim with the petrol insert and it has not lite up,even with a full tank. Perhaps its was because of the old wick (have bought the slim used via the bay). I use my Zippos with butaninserts now. The inserts have also a low capacity,compared to a bic, due to the electric mechanics that need space.

BTW: i wish i could find a seller who has a flintwheelignited butan insert for the slim, i only have the piezoinsert. That would be cooler.

9. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

I take your advice, but i didn't use rubber biketube, but my beloved "tesa" textiletape that i used to make my own wallets. My Zippo slim is way better to use now. Thanks westerdutch.
    Perhaps there is something like a adhesive leatherlike tape that can be used for such DIY projects.

THERoxyStarr likes this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@sino2: broadly speaking, there are two types of the butane inserts. These being the hard flame or 'torch' style and the soft flame. IIRC, the torch styles almost always use the piezoelectric starter. If you take a look at the products branded 'Thunderbird', they offer both the torch and the soft flame; their soft flame does use a flint. I have one and it works great.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

11. topazbullet

topazbullet Loaded Pockets

I have the slim in a brushed finish. I actually stopped using it because I had to refill it too often. I switched to an electric "arc" lighter for slim carry; you have to recharge it, but it's water/windproof and like $10 on amazon.