1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Zippo lighters

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by dimeotane, Jan 23, 2011.

1. birdzman

birdzman Loaded Pockets

The Zippo is an icon, they have even saved a few lives stopping a knife or bullet.

2. Jerk

Jerk Empty Pockets

Get a vector butane insert for zippo. All the good things of a Zippo (including your favorite case) without the evaporation. And it has adjustable flame.

3. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

I love Zippos and have had many over the years but something I noticed lately really irks me :(

On TV, you always see bad guys starting big "blow up the plane" type fires with the wonderful icon that is the Zippo. However, they always just throw it in to the fuel and leave it to burn.... this is very mean! I know they aren't that expensive, but why the terrible abuse?

4. Zini

Zini Loaded Pockets

Zippo's are pure Americana. I have a Zippo riding on my EDC bag, comes in handy. I really would like to get a Zippo Blu but I can't find one in any local shops and I don't want to order one online, would rather handle it in person before I put forth the cash.

5. Zoot Allures

Zoot Allures Loaded Pockets

I always had Zippos since I'm a kid, I lit my first smokes with it. At the time I got them from US Forces people in Germany…

About their reliability, as a smoker: I only lost one, broke an other —by misuse— on a total of say 6 pieces in 30+ years. I don't collect them, I replace when the spring got too floppy or have replaced the hinge rod when necessary —never used the lifetime warranty, cost more to me and the factory with shipping.

But I carry a butane disposable lighter in my bag as backup. You can secure the gas-release button, secure it with some bike's tire-tubes rings from falling of the bags/pocket or slip from your hands (mostly for the tiny mini-Bic).

I don't have my own pics of the secured gas-release:

[​IMG]
    (photo by Vincent at Vie Sauvage et survie forum)

6. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Oddly a comment made to me by a friend while watching an action film of some form recently.

I guess they figure they can just rescue the carcass later and ship it off under the lifetime warranty...

7. Zoot Allures

Zoot Allures Loaded Pockets

The same reaction here watching I forgot which movie. I like the way bad or good guys throw their weapons when empty…
    Like they never lock their cars, find a place to park just in front of the place they want in etc.

About this Zippo problem: when you pour down a tank of gasoline and light it, you maybe don't want to stay to close, bending or kneeling over it with your matches or fire-steel, huh?
    With a butane lighter, you need to keep the button down then throw your finger on/with it… not very handy. :)
    I'd rather put a tissue on flame and drop it on the gasoline spread around but it's not very romantic.

8. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

Here's 3 little containers I've found for carrying lighter fluid. Good for storing in a survival bag or whatever. I have a little 8ml chemistry vial, a 15 ml Visine eye dropper bottle, and a 40ml travel size mouth wash bottle.
    All three of these containers I've tested do not leak, evaporate, and just in case you can keep the container of fuel in a zip lock baggie. I like the Visine one the best with its little nozzle for squirting the fuel in the lighter.

[​IMG]

And regarding the rubber glove vapor barrier, the test Zippo had finally run out today, almost 10 weeks later. I've burned the lighter a couple dozen times since I first filled it on Jan 23rd and used the rubber glove as a vapor barrier. I tested it every weekend to see if the lighter still held fuel, last week it was burning fine. So it certainly lasted me 9 weeks, with dozens of uses. I think next I'll have to try filling it, sealing it, and then setting it aside for 6 months and then testing it out.

Justinicus likes this.
  9. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Empty Pockets

Why are there so many :censored:s on here? And I don't care if that's against the rules... There is way too much of this elitist mentality with this forum. And why?? The whole point is to help others find what they need for their day to day?

10. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

Agreed! That's what keeps me coming back, and I'd like to think is the true spirit of EDCF!
    :smitten: :dance: :smitten: :dance: :smitten: :dance: :smitten: :dance:

So let's ignore the crankypants :lolhammer: and do what we love most.

Go ahead Subject Zero, tell me your thoughts about Zippos, their pros and cons... any thoughts on my mini refill fuel tank ideas? I'm interested.

11. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I like the Visine bottle. Does it leak? I buy VM&P naphtha in those qt. cans and use a dropper bottle to refill. I'll have to look around for a Visine bottle.

12. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

No, it doesn't seem to leak at all. I screwed the cap on tight and gave it a really good squeeze and no leaks. I keep it in a ziploc baggie just in case. Mark the bottle clearly so no one tries to squirt it in their eye LOL.

13. MartinDWhite

MartinDWhite Loaded Pockets

I have a few spare bike inner tubes lying around. If someone want a short section (1.25 inches long) to fit on a zippo I could send you one or two for $1.50. That should cover cost of envelope, postage. Let me know if you want one. I will take paypal.

I put one on my edc zippo and the fuel is lasting a lot longer. I don't smoke, so it only gets used to melt the ends of paracord once or twice a week, and it used to be empty every two to three times I went to use it. It has not been empty for the last dozen times I have gotten it out.

14. Atlas

Atlas Loaded Pockets

ive been keeping spare fluid in those tiny MRE tabasco bottles, a month so far and they are still holding up\

15. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Empty Pockets

I just tries the rubber glove on my edc zippo and it doesn't hold up and with in two days it wore holes in the rubber... I'll bet the inner tube works Better... My conclusion is glove would only be for a bob or in a bag

16. spaz

spaz Empty Pockets

I'm just curious, is there any risk that the lighter fluid would melt/eat away at the bottle if it warmed up? I like the Visine bottle idea, but I leave my bag in my car some days and with summer approaching my car is going to be heating up way over 100+degrees with the windows shut.

17. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

Subject Zero : thanks for the feedback .... I assume you're carrying it in your pants pocket or something where it moves around often? Also, some types of rubber gloves are more thinly made than others. I'll try a different type of black rubber glove, saran wrap, or tinfoil... It'll probably work better.
    (I'm giving up on the yellow rubber glove... it slows evaporation down to three weeks, but it's still allowing too much evaporation.)

spaz: thats a good question... the MSDS for naptha (petroleum distillate) says
    "Auto-Ignition Temperature: 232°C (449.6°F)" So unless your car heats up to 232c inside, it shouldn't suddenly catch fire.

None of the bottles are dissolving in any way after weeks of holding naptha. But I'll ask some chemistry teachers and see what they say.

18. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

My current three.
    The matte green one was bought years ago, and works perfectly until you drop it in the long grass when camping, at which point it vanishes.
    The 'The Who' lighter was bought as a more visible replacement, being polished and yellow, which has been obvious enough not to get lost, though the image is flaking off after some time being carried in pockets with other junk.
    Finally I bought the 'framed' brushed steel and black lighter to replace the Who one as the peeling image was annoying me, and I found it in a local shop and it looked cool... So far there are a couple of scratches on it, pretty much as I would expect on any finished metal.

At home spare fuel lives in the can as normal, on the road it lives in one of the small Zippo containers - sealed, nice and tough and perfect for a couple of refills on a camping trip if a lighter is getting a lot of use. I prefer it over plastic bottles or vials mainly for the toughness - I know I could quite happily stamp on it without worry, which I wouldn't want to do with most of the plastic alternatives I have seen...

01bugtruck likes this.
  19. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

I'm now trying saran wrap and tinfoil wrapped lighters to prevent evaporation so my zippos are ready to use when I need it. Today someone wanted a lighter to light candles on a birthday cake, and my zippo I'd filled three weeks ago, covered with the finger from the rubber glove ran out of fuel during the lighting. The yellow rubber glove I've used does appear to still allow too much evaporation for my liking.

Justinicus likes this.
  20. calebklyne

calebklyne Loaded Pockets

I really want a thunderbird insert for my izula and ESEE zippos