1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Zippo Insert Normal or Jet?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by sino2, Mar 20, 2014.

1. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

My New Zippo Slim is on the way. I dont smoke so i will use a butane insert like Zplus or Tristar, but which Type of Butaneinsert would you recommend to me and why?

My thoughts:
    i like the flintwheel of normal flame inserts,and also a visible flame.Its more authentic to the original zippos.But i'm not sure if the gas mechanism is reliable. I have old gaslighters here which loss gas when the lid is only slightly raised.A pantspocket full of gas is a security risk and the lighter is empty when i need it.

one the other hand, a jet flame is windproof, and you can heat up things more directly.And gas comes out only when to push the button,which is an extra safe option. But these things a so "unzippo".

Last edited by sino2, Mar 20, 2014
  2. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

I have a few zippos but never carry them as they always seem to be empty. The fuel evaporates no matter what so not really reliable unless I fill them all the time.

sino2 likes this.
  3. tamaders

tamaders Loaded Pockets

I've got one with zplus extreme double and one with a vector thunderbird. Both jet flame.

Use it for lighiting fires not cigs .. so I like the jet flame better for what I use them for.

The zplus double extreme seems more robust to me ... but they both work fine. I know the vector has a lifetime warranty.

Fuel retention is like any other butane based lighter ... no problems with leaks that I've seen.

sino2 likes this.
  4. John Lee Pettimore
    • In Omnia Paratus

John Lee Pettimore Loaded Pockets

I have a zplus single flame. Works fine for lighting cigars.

sino2 likes this.
  5. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

I have the pipe insert in mine. Jet flame and briar don't go so well together.

sino2 likes this.
  6. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I got a Z-Plus torch insert in mine:

[​IMG]

It has been working flawless for over 4 years now, no leaks whatsoever neither. I do think the regular flame insert look a bit better, but as Tamaders already stated these burn a hotter which comes in handy when you use it to light fires. I did notice it works better with butane that carries the "zero-impurities" label though, it won't always light up on the first try with other gas.

sino2 likes this.
  7. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

ps: do they make inserts that fit the "slim" as well? I don't think I've seen those before.

8. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

I've never noticed either of my soft flame Thunderbirds to leak any, and the lid has to be about 3/4 of the way open before you can hear either one release fuel.

Both of mine are the pipe lighter side flame. Because I smoke a pipe, and also because I find it easier to direct the flame hen its on the side, the angle works better for me, don't have to turn the lighter itself as far onto its side sometimes.

I prefer soft flames; lighting a pipe with a torch will scorch the tobacco and ruin the flavor, and you can easily scorch the pipe itself. Also, for my more EDC related tasks, like electrical shrink tubing, fire lighting, lighting propane and oxy/acyt torches to name a few tasks I've had, I need more heat control, than pin point extreme heat.

I prefer to have the lower heat flame and just use it longer for more heat, instead of the torch that is hard to apply a small amount of heat with.

Thats why we're talking about butane inserts ;) best of both worlds, the great Zippo style, but without the leaks, naptha burn when it leaks on you, and smell. Butane also cost about 1/4 or less of what the liquid fuel does. :cool:

Here Comes The BOOM and sino2 like this.
  9. AK Adventurer

Yeah, they're out there! I had searched and searched and found Nothing currently available, but @sino2 was nice enough here a while back to show me a few sellers on ebay that have them. As far as I can tell, there are None directly available to the USA/english speaking market, but are pretty easy to find in some European markets... So far all the sellers I've found that have them are in Germany.

here is the info I saved and stuck in my edc thread, so I could find it again later; :cool:

Here Comes The BOOM likes this.
  10. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I have both the zplus and thunderbird jet inserts and they both work well.. Was looking at a soft flame one but heard some had issues with shutting off correctly

sino2 likes this.
  11. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

Thats also my concern

12. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

Thats a good point,i forgot that there a more tasks then just buring a tealightcandel (where pointy heat from a jetflame is better). Tasks where less heat on a bigger surface is better. i think i order both version, jet and regualr and check what fit my needs more.

13. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

My Zippo Slim Insert arrived. They where currently no Flitwheel regularflame Model availiable, so i got a clickbutton regularflame one.
    Its has the advantage that i can play around and lift the cap without loosing gas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nick4305, warchild, scbubba and 2 others like this.
  14. AK Adventurer

You'll have to post back after a while and let us know how reliable it is. (Please! :) )
    :cool:

15. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Being able to fiddle is an advantage.

Sent by Owl Post

Nick4305 likes this.
  16. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

My First Impressions:Its well made for around 6Euro(+Postage).The Top part is shiny polished Metal, but i guess(!),like some cheaper Lighters i have, its chromed/silverpainted metalmix or metal alloy with a copperish tone.The bottom part fits neatly and tied in the Zippo,no wobbling.In fact it sits that good, that i have trouble to get it out, with all that slippery chrome.The Gasflame output is big after the first fill but after a dozen ignitions its stabilized on a medium level. I make more pictures soons guys

AK Adventurer and warchild like this.
  17. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

18. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

May I ask which insert brand you purchased and where? Thanks!