1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Zero Tolerance/Hinderer 0551 vs. DPx HEST/F

Discussion in 'Knives' started by BikerTrash, Mar 10, 2011.

1. BikerTrash

BikerTrash Loaded Pockets

Zero Tolerance/Hinderer 0551 vs. DPx HEST/F

I was asked to do a review since I have both of these knives, so I'll do my best with my first ever comparison review.

I'll start with the size difference. Both knives have the same thickness overall (.570"), but the HEST has a thicker blade (.190" vs .160"), and the 0551 has a thicker titanium scale (.180" vs .150"). The 0551 is slightly longer in the handle and blade, with about a half inch more cutting surface. Speaking of cutting surface, the Elmax blade of the 0551 has about 2" of flat edge, which is different compared to a normal curvy ZT blade. The HEST's D2 blade has only 1" before it starts to curve. The HEST also puts it's thick blade to use and offers a bottle opener that doubles as a "wave" opener (my first experience with a wave, kinda cool). I prefer black coated blades like the HEST, and my next favorite choice is "stone washed", which happens to be on the 0551.

When closed the HEST is much narrower, with the blade almost completely disappearing between the scales. Combine that with the deep pocket clip, and the HEST hides nicely in your pocket, except for the longer shiny clip. The 0551's clip is smaller, isn't as deep, but it has a more secure hold in my jeans, and shows less. I give the nod to the 0551 for the better clip.

The G10 scales are somewhat of a personal preference matter, but anyway, even though the 0551 has a unique brick like pattern, I like the HEST's textured G10 better, which has more texture then the usual G10 scale. The liners under the G10 on both knives are skeletonized, the 0551 has six "windows" and the HEST has one large oval cutout.

The 0551 has beefy stand-offs with big T10 screws, and the HEST has half of a closed back with T6 screws. The half towards the pivot is open, and the blade edge is fairly close to the spine. The 0551 definitely is the more stout of the two.

The locking and pivot are different between the knives. The HEST has a flat, angled ground mating, where the 0551 has a curved grind. My HEST did stick when I first got it, the 0551 never stuck, but I have also heard of cases opposite of mine.

The HEST has teflon pivot washers, the 0551 has bronze. I have heard some debate about this, and supposedly the teflon washers don't fair so well in sandy environments. There are also high dollar customs that use teflon, so as far as I am concerned, the jury is still out.

The HEST has a lockbar lockout, which is nice and works great. The 0551 has a lockbar stop to prevent over extending. The cutout for the lockbar flex is on the inside of the 0551, and on the outside of the HEST.

I am not a big guy at 5'7" 170lbs, and wear a size medium glove, so the HEST feels slightly better in my hand because of its smaller handle.

At the same price point of roughly $200, both knives have their advantages. I say get both! :naughty:

Zero Tolerance 0551 specifications:
    Overall Length: 8.125"
    Blade Length: 3.5"
    Weight: 5.8 oz.
    Blade Steel: Elmax

DPx HEST/F specifications:
    Overall Length: 7.63" (opened / without glass breaker)
    Blade Length: 3.19"
    Weight: 5 oz.
    Blade Steel: D2 Tool Steel

I will update this shortly with some good comparison pictures. I don't have a light box or a DSLR, so I have to wait for the sun to come out and use my decent point and shoot. I'll leave you with one crappy indoor pic that I took and made look presentable with Photoshop.

(If you are using Firefox, you can right click and view image to see them larger.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Thanx,Biker Trash!

Excellent,open-minded review.I appreciate the time you put into this.
    Is there much difference in weight?
    Was the HEST as sharp,right out of the box?
    If you had to choose....nah; that's not fair!
    I'll ask you in 6 months!

~Gnarly

3. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

B. Trash, you are now on my cool guy list. This means you have joined the ranks of such notables as Gnarly, sveqs, GriffenHawks, The man himself, Jonny B., and a few others. No small feat. Thanks for the review. Should you ever need a personal refernce, remember, you are now on my cool guy list. Thanks for the review.

4. ntp3

ntp3 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review.

5. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

Great review. I REALLY want a 0551 but I need to work up the dough to actually get my hands on one.

6. BikerTrash

BikerTrash Loaded Pockets

New pics added! :dance:

You will notice I used the Sharpie trick on both. The HEST needed it, and the 0551 stuck on me just slightly once, but never again!

7. jforbush

jforbush Loaded Pockets

Nice review...I had both and the 551 won hands down IMO.

8. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Great review.
    Due to funds, I had to choose between these knives, and went with the ZT. Nice to see how they stack up.

9. swrdply400mrelay

swrdply400mrelay Loaded Pockets

awesome review! been thinking of getting one

10. senfinger

senfinger Loaded Pockets

<-- Had the option of both as well... ZT 0551 EDC and LOVING IT-

11. retrospeaks

retrospeaks Loaded Pockets

gotta love the bottle opener and optional glass breaker on the hest folder. i was debating between these two myself. looks like pretty much a win/win for a stout folder that i doubt i could break if i tried to under everyday (or even emergency) activities.

anyone know the ETA on the 0551's or the second run of the hest folders? i know such dates are ambiguous when talking about quality products, just figured i'd ask anyway.

12. jforbush

jforbush Loaded Pockets

I know a place that has the 551 in stock....not sure if I can post as it might be viewed as deal spotting...if you are interested pm me and I will send you the link.

13. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

awesome knife review,, my ZT350CB has become my main knife..

14. Ppub101

Ppub101 Loaded Pockets

I received the Hest as well and I was writing a review but I wanted to carry it for a few weeks first.

In my opinion of the Hest:

Pros:
    Sharp blade and I love the design with the shape and thickness. Great G10 handle and it just feels great in my hand. Feels good in my pocket and I forget it's there. Love having a glass breaker (never had to use one but just the fact I know it's there).

Cons:
    The clip SUCKS, it may be long but I have more secure feeling clips on 30$ knives. My blade still sticks when I try to open it even though I have adjusted the tension which did not help in any way. The pivot lock on the frame lock goes on almost every time by itself which is starting to get old. There doesn't seem to be enough tension and it rolls just enough to lock on.

For the amount of money it cost I was hoping to have less Cons but in all it is still a great knife. My biggest fear is the clip will catch something and bend because it's garbage i will sit down and the knife will slide out. Since I can barely notice I am carrying it I will end up losing my most expensive knife. I really hope they offer an upgrade of this clip because It provides almost zero tension against my pants pockets.

15. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Ppub101,
    Might try contacting STR,over on Blade Forums,to see if he's making his Titanium low-rider clips for the HEST/F.
    If you don't find him on Blade by searching @ 'STR's Backyard Knifeworks', just PM me.I'll dig out his email address tonight.
    Worth a try!
    Otherwise,sheath carry? to keep from losing it.

16. Ppub101

Ppub101 Loaded Pockets

Hey Gnarly thanks for the heads up on that. I will try to get in touch with him, if I can't locate him I will send you a PM.

17. Ppub101

Ppub101 Loaded Pockets

Hey Gnarly

Just a heads up I did find STR over on BF and sent him a message asking about a titanium clip and if he does make one the price range and possible dates.

I will let you all know what he responds with. Thanks again man.

18. Ppub101

Ppub101 Loaded Pockets

I received a very detailed letter from STR and I sent him specs, and serveral high detailed photos of the knife / clip next to a tape measure. When I get a response from him I will let you all know.

19. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Don't mean to co$t you more ca$h,nor $idetrackl this fine thread,but didja look @ STR's fine Titanium pry bars,while you were over there?***He sells 'em too cheap!***
    I have two.
    I had a 'problem knife' that was NOT an EDC...until I got my very first Ti lowrider pocket clip from STR.Steven is a scholar and a gentleman.And a craftsman.
    He advised me: the screw holes are too close together,else my ZT/H 0551 would be wearing one of his clips!
    ~Gnarly

20. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Loosen the pivot, Way loose. Put a drop or two of Militec-1 (or your lube de jour) onto the pivot friction surfaces on both sides of the blade. Open and close at least a dozen times. Now re-set you tension.

Let us know if you get a new clip, price function, etc.