1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Zero Tolerance heat treat...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Jessie Carter, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

Have any of you experienced any problems with edge retention on your ZT's using CTS 204P? I have a ZT 0456 that seems a bit on the soft side in term of keeping a decent edge in comparison to other knives with lesser or similar blade steels.

2. dabluestuff

dabluestuff Uber Prepared

Never had an issue personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jessie Carter likes this.
  3. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

no idea about their CTS, but the heat treat on every Elmax blade I have had from them seriously sucked IMHO.

Very soft in my opinion, When I was carrying my ZT's regularly I was continually resharpening my Elmax blades. I found the steel had no better edge retention than s30v. General performance of the steel was acceptable, but not approaching a premium steel like s35vn and no where near a proper super steel like 20cv or M390.

I think KAI (like many large volume manufacturers) intentionally leaves their blades on the softer side to increase ductility and reduce the chances of a user chipping or even snapping a blade.

4. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

I have 3 with CTS-204P, a 0562CF, 0804CF and 0620CF no issues with edge holding in any of them.

5. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

Ive never had an issue with my 0350 in s30v

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

6. kdurt

kdurt Loaded Pockets

I have the 562cf with the cts 204p steel. And my experience has been good but my expectations are not that this steel will never go dull or outlast a steel like s35vn by a huge margin. The biggest benefit I have found from high end steels is that they can hold a much more acute angle and say 15 deg per side or 30 deg. total where a steel like vg10 or 154cm will totally fold the edge at that angle. With this more acute angle cutting effort is minimized therefore it then holds the edge longer because it's not working as hard to get thru the material . In all actuality I have found steels like d2 and n690 properly heat treated will hold their edge darn near as well as say s30v while skinning big game but again s30v can hold a much sharper and toothier edge making the work easier . Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adahn likes this.