1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Zero Tolerance 0561 Inital Impressions

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by hawkeye180, May 23, 2013.

1. hawkeye180

hawkeye180 Loaded Pockets

My Zero Tolerance 0561 arrived last Friday. I have not cut much with it, but I have carried it every day since then. Most of my thoughts will be about simply carrying the knife and my initial impressions.

First of all I have one small criticism. The blade did not come as sharp as I thought it would. Do not get me wrong this knife is freaking sharp, but one side of the grind is noticeably more dull than the other.

Intended Use-I bought this knife to be an EDC/Tactical blade. I am going to carry it a lot for a while to get more impressions.

[​IMG]
    Ergonomics- The handle and blade are big. The blade is 3.75 inches long. The handle fits my smaller hands very well. The jimping on top of the spine and top of the blade is fantastic. My thumb gets locked right in. The 3-D machining, as ZT calls it, is great on the G-10 and the titanium side. This is my second framelock knife and so far I really like it.

[​IMG]
    The flipper combined with the new bushing system that ZT is using is super fast and smooth. The thumbstuds are also very well designed. They are sharp and positive, when I open the blade with those it also flies open.

The pocket clip is fantastic. I was afraid it would be flimsy, especially for its size on a knife this big. But I was completely wrong. The clip is strong, locked down and four way positionable. It is a deep carry clip and it allows the knife to sit deep in the pocket. That coupled with the length of the knife keeps the knife very stable in your pocket.

[​IMG]

2. Blaklader Pockets

Blaklader Pockets Loaded Pockets

Nice review. It's a bit heavy and expensive for my tastes, but the thumbstuds look good and it's rather pretty.

UnlikelyEngineer likes this.
  3. UnlikelyEngineer

UnlikelyEngineer Loaded Pockets

Will be following this thread! Very interested to hear your views especially after carrying it for a while. Thanks for sharing!

4. hawkeye180

It is kind of heavy, the strong deep carry pocket clip coupled with the length of the knife keep the knife stable in your pocket. It does not move around or slap against your leg when you walk. The weight is evenly distributed. I don't notice the weight.

5. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I 100% agree with this. I've found the ZT pocket clips to be stout and probably for the reason you state. It does make them a pain to slide into pouch and bag pockets but I'll take the trade-off.

6. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

Nice review! I love my 560!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. UnlikelyEngineer

I'm owning this knife vicariously through you guys... :)

Varmitslayer and jeepsrjason like this.
  8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Heh. I may own this knife eventually, but I'll definitely scooping up a 566 when it comes out. :D

ArnieJB and UnlikelyEngineer like this.
  9. UnlikelyEngineer

Go big or go home. Nah, I'm just messing with ya! I probably would be better off with the 0566, but I like big knives :p

10. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm not adverse to big knives, per se, but I know the 566 will be a good pocket carry - comparable to the 0350 I'm rocking now.

And, to be fair, the 0560/561's respectable price tag is a bit much for a shelf queen, whereas the 566 hits the sweet spot for price balanced against practical use.

Clearly, your mileage has varied. ;)

11. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

I just bought one (pics to come!) and I was surprised at the size. I'm a big guy, about 6'5", and I found this thing huge. I can't really edc it as I work in my office and its quite bulky. However, I can't wait to take it camping, and it is beautifully finished. Currently it's on display at my home office. Cant let it be a safe queen!

12. Varmitslayer

Varmitslayer Loaded Pockets

It's hard looking at something with Elmax steel when you're on a Aus6 budget.

jeepsrjason and UnlikelyEngineer like this.
  13. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

thats crazy talk! i was never even able to open it with the 'thumb studs' which aren't thumb studs. as hard as i tried i couldn't do it. not that i cared, i always used the flipper. i miss that thing :(

14. UnlikelyEngineer

Honestly I wish that on their knives with flippers, Kershaw/ZT would just take off the thumbstuds. They're too small and close to the handle, and downright dangerous to try to use IMO when combined with Speedsafe. My experience lies only with the Leek, but I have heard my thoughts reciprocated with other flipper models.

15. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

I always assumed they were just there as bladestops...

16. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

in most cases i would agree with this....but the kershaw rake's thumbstuds are very useful along with its flipper.

17. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

On the 0560/0561 they are bade stops and the knife isn't assisted anyway those this doesn't apply.
    I have spoken with a KAI rep directly, and there is a bit of variation in the strength of the blade detent on the 0560/1s. Those with weaker detents can be opened with the thumb studs pretty easily. If the detent is tighter, than only the flipper gives enough leverage for most.

I've got an 0560 and an 0561 one has the tighter detent and the other doesn't.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

18. hawkeye180

I guess the detent on mine is one of the weaker ones because the thumb studs work fine. The flipper is still better though.

Although this knife was expensive it will not be a safe queen for me. I have been carrying it every day since it arrived and I will continue to use it. I am going to get all $211 out of it. Interestingly the brown g-10 is being stained blue by my blue jeans that I wear most days. I do not mind at all, its a user for me, it was just an observation.

I am really looking forward to the ZT 0566 as well. I am going to buy one. It will be a great addition to my line up.

19. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

As promised: more eye candy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're a bit washed out... Sorry. Phone camera.

xnyne and jeepsrjason like this.
  20. Blaklader Pockets

Blaklader Pockets Loaded Pockets

Stop making me want to buy a knife that's twice my budget!