1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Zero Tolerance 0550 in depth review & discussion

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by RBid, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Quikclot

Quikclot Loaded Pockets

I found and went with a 0550BLK...super low serial number, from kershawguy. Great snag and not disappointed!

[​IMG]

ManVsLawn and gemini like this.
  2. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Considering the Benchmade MPR 755 is 5.30 oz. The 550's 6.00 oz. wouldn't bother me in the least.

The Gen 2 550 moved the relief cut for the lock bar from the inside to the outside and enlarged it to make the deployment a bit easier.

If I were ever to get a ZT, the 550 would probably be it.... with a clip and scale upgrade to follow shortly thereafter.

ATB,
    Sam

3. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

indigo_wolf - Would you be so kind as to direct me to some clip upgrade options? I'd like a deep carry option of some sort. Or at least a more lengthy clip that had a longer 'hold' on a pocket.

I see you offering tons of info on other posted questions, so I'd figure I'd ask the almanac himself. lol

The current clip is nice and strong, holds fine to my RF pocket.. It just seems a little short for a big knife? Maybe it's just me.

I do not mind the scales. I actually like the black/silver, kinda rough/ugly look. 8)

gemini likes this.
  4. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I am assuming you have a Gen 1 550. In addition to the location of the lockbar relief, the other thing ZT changes between versions of the 550 was the location, length, mounting hole orientation, and style of the pocket clip.

This picture was posted on BladeForums by Avira, and since it shows the differences so clearly, I thought I would rehost and post it here.

The Gen 2 pocket is longer, leaner, and of the deep carry flavor. The have also flipped the orientation of the mounting holes and moved the position of the tip-down mounting holes.

Top: Gen 2 ZT 550, Bottom: Gen 1 ZT 550
    [​IMG]

As for aftermarket clips for the Gen one, the only clips I know of are the G & G Grip Clips. For the Gen 2, I assumed it would have to be a custom one-off. The 550 would look dead sexy with a milled billet clip.

ATB,
    Sam

5. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I think the more you flip it, the more you get used to it. I thought maybe it was getting smoother but it must have been me that was smooth ;)

6. gemini
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

gemini Frog Eggs

The detent in mine is quite weak, the opening is smooth like silk. No blade play whatsoever. I would've liked tougher detent, though.
    [​IMG]

7. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I have two 0551's from the first run a few years ago. I found that cleaning the blade and detent ball will change the deployment. I also traced the detent ball and hole with a pencil lead to make it weaker. Same goes for a sticky lock.

Sent using Tapatalk... embrace the typos

8. ManVsLawn

gemini likes this.
  9. FighterZak

FighterZak Loaded Pockets

I think the weight is an issue only when it comes to putting the knife in loose clothing , a small SAK wouldn't flop around but the 560 would flop and probably pull your pants from 1 side.

RBid, ManVsLawn and gemini like this.
  10. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

Thank you for the feedback and for the continued discussion! There has been some great Q&A for future readers to learn from!

gemini and ManVsLawn like this.
  11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mine is a 1st gen model and I got it for such a good price knowing in advance that the clip was not as nice as the 2nd gen,but it was well worth the savings for the knife!

I would snag another for the same deal if it cam along.
    I don't have any issue with the scales either.

RBid, gemini and ManVsLawn like this.
  12. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I was gifted a 566BW by dalewa. I totally agree with the scale being something only a mother could love!
    I'm thinking canvas micarta or something.....

gemini likes this.
  13. Quikclot

Quikclot Loaded Pockets

Ok so after using it for a week.....this opening detent issue while putting pressure on the lockbar is killing me. Ive tried shifting my grip but I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THAT! My natural grip after draw puts a slight pressure on the bar. If I cant figure out a way around this...it may get sold.

#0080...man I hope not.

Any layman fixes are appreciated. Im not going to pound on the detent ball with anything and mess up the resale.

gemini likes this.
  14. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Load up the detent recess with graphite. That may change the force required to overcome retention.

gemini likes this.
  15. Quikclot

Quikclot Loaded Pockets

Thx for the info. I think the detent was as loose as possible without shaking out. It was 100% positioning and I just couldnt get past the lockbar issue and my gorilla fingers.

I returned it and will be getting a 0560 instead. I think the flipper will solve my issue and grip when opening.

adnj and gemini like this.
  16. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

i like my 0550 a lot, but don't have room for it in my pocket. so it stays at home most of the time. Skyline on the other hand, is light, small, and slices great.. it lives in my pocket. i think lot of the folders are overbuilt, but not sure why. they look good, feels good, but just ruins proper drape of my pants.

gemini likes this.
  17. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I carry a Leek for slacks but other than that, a knife about the size of the 0550 is about as small as I go with a folder. Of course, I carry at least a 7 inch fixed blade when I'm tramping in the woods so go figure.

RBid and gemini like this.
  18. ManVsLawn

I tightened up my ZT 0550 pivot screw a few days ago.

I went to the hardware store and their Torx screws (T6, T8) were waaay over priced. I acted like I was going to buy it and tightened the knife, in store, as I shopped. I then returned it to the proper location on the shelf. No harm, no foul. 8)

I came home and bought them on fleabay. lol.

I purchased the WIHA brands Torx that are recommended to avoid any chance of screw strippage..

This was due to my flipping it open repetitively just because I liked the feel, the click, and the action. This is the first knife I've done that repetitive action of flip open/close.. Did I mention the lockup?!? Jeez.

After tightening, I'm even happier with it.

RBid and gemini like this.
  19. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

The action on this knife is sooooo satisfying. I even like closing it! I'm not much of a flick & close for fun guy, but I have to admit that I sometimes do it with the 0550.

20. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

I have a second gen and it has opened like a dream from the start, although I have also have a habit of satisfyingly and intimidating flinging my knives open (safely of course) so I may be more accustomed to the action. To contribute to the in pocket feel of the knife, I wear 501 Levi jeans, not too tight but not loose either. Now don't get me wrong I love a slim, light, carry knife that literally disappears in the pocket (my all time favorite being the Kershaw leek) and the 550 is not that by any means. You can definitely feel its presence, you know its there which is also not a bad thing in its own right, but is it uncomfortable? No not my any means, It is a big bastard that of course takes up more pocket than smaller knives but it's profile hides it size about as well as is probably possible. I will also add that while I'm just under six feet tall and just under 200 pounds I am by no means In good shape like some of you guys, I suffer from chronic pain so heavy exercise is difficult to accomplish, and I still love to carry this knife.

BobsBargains likes this.