1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Zebralight H51fw or H502w?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by veeks62, Aug 7, 2012.

1. veeks62

veeks62 Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for a compact headlamp, and am torn between these two models. I work in a kitchen and looking for an emergency headlamp to use in case of power outages, or when light is needed looking into a dark oven or smoker. Something super floody, no distinct hotspot, and renders colors well. I really like the neutral tint of the warm LEDs from ZL. I currently EDC my now favorite SC600w and really impressed with it's color rendering and brightness. I'm wondering if anyone has tried/tested both these models and what your impressions might be. I'm not sure if the H502w is actually released yet, but there is a Neutral version of the H502c on their website. Not sure if it's the same thing.

2. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

The 502 has no distinct beam similar to he h501. 120 degree angle and and avail in high CRI which renders color better than simply a neutral tint cree led.

H502c: LED: Philips LUXEON Rebel Neutral White (Typical CRI: 85, Norminal CCT 4000K)
    This is similar to your SC600w in tint but high CRI. Maybe a touch warmer tint.

H502d: LED: Philips LUXEON Rebel Neutral White (Typical CRI: 85, Norminal CCT 5000K)
    This is between a w and cool white zebralight. Still high CRI but not as warm and a bit brighter.

The h51 (and others) has a real reflector. Some are defused which does blur the hotspot but still leaves a focused brightness instead of even flood. The advantage would be throw for speedy hikes, bikes, etc. The 501/502 will have much less range but way more spread.

Type "h502 beam shot" on Google images. I recall a thread showing them compared to a h51. Hope that helps!

Last edited by Blerv, Aug 7, 2012
  3. veeks62

veeks62 Loaded Pockets

Excellent, thanks! I think the 502 neutral is what I'm looking for. I love that pure full flood for nearby tasks. I already ordered the H51fw, but might do a comparison before sending it back or selling it.

4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a 502 and a 502d. I would say 502d (great color). I use it more than any other light. It's like turning on a light switch in your backyard and so small. I couldn't find a reason not to add one to my gear. At night I do cary a light with more throw.

[​IMG]
    mumbo H502 size by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

5. veeks62

veeks62 Loaded Pockets

Here's a recent reply from Lillian Xu from ZL regarding the H502w. Not available yet apparently. Thanks for your input Mumbo. I'm seriously thinking about that particular model.

Hi David,

The H502d is a high CRI (Color Rendering Index) version. It's different from the H502w, which is not available yet.
    The H502d has a higher color temperature (5000K) that is higher (cooler) than the 'w' lights (around 4200-4300K).
    The 5000K color temperature is still a 'neutral white' by some LED manufactures.

Best Regards,

Lillian Xu