1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Zebra light SC5 - 535 lumens on an AA

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Blerv, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

In light of Surefire's Titan Pro (or whatever it's called :)) pushing a claimed 300 lumens from an AAA there has been some skepticism. At least I've been skeptical because 1.2v is only a third of the voltage needed for optimally operating most LEDs. In other words, that battery would be working very hard.

Well Zebralight has been known to be optimistic in the past but this latest email teaser (subscribed to their newsletter) had me believing driver tech has changed for the better.

If this is the case the bottleneck will be battery technology. Most off the shelf XML2 lights with an 18650 can get close to 1,000 lumens which is a soft-cap for the LED. Ie: the curve of lumens for amperage is on a quick decline. Still, the aspect of EDC lights on conventional cells pushing massive amount of light is within our grasp despite your brand of choice is very exciting!

I still think Surefire is a bit optimistic and I won't be a fanboy of theirs overnight but we will see. ;) :p

[​IMG]

ManVsLawn likes this.
  2. Ben Rubinstein

535 for how long before it drops to considerably less? A minute? The Thrunite Neutron 2A V2 will do 408 lumens in single AA battery mode however the drop off is very fast.

3. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Some quick & rough calculations would put that over 6 watts (!)

But eneloops can take pretty heavy current draw ... :D

Only 300 lumens not looking so impressive now, huh ? LOL.

4. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

500+ lumens on 1.2v is insane even if for a minute. I don't know when the thermal cut will kick in for the light or when the Eneloop will be forced to step-down due to capacity.

I've never really looked into Thrunite due to the F&F/QC mentions here and there. Performance wise they have always been impressive though. The Mopar of the flashlight world perhaps :).

You are very right though. Regulation wise where Ni-Mh tech won't touch Lithium is regulation due to voltage. Peak numbers vs a very flat and usable curve. Perhaps I was bamboozled by marketing. :(

Even if they ran the XM-L2 at 2A it would be 1c for the Eneloop AA. True though, question is how long it can hold that output. My guess is 535 to an AA is about 300 to an AAA. A very short fuse but what a fun one to light. ;)

5. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

On CPF, @HKJ pulled 10A from a 1900mAh eneloop AA ... it lasted about 8 min :eek:

It heated the cell up > +22°C, too (!)

hal_chase, quickster47 and ManVsLawn like this.
  6. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

True but even if it had a 2min (or so) turbo that dropped the output to 60% the heat and battery life would be decent. Heat in mechanical/electronics is a killer.

As a metaphor to racing engines I recall dropping the RPM's by 1,500 multiplies engine life multiple times. The strain at 9k is just massive compared to 7.5k...FAR more than 20%. You can see this by running a 3a+ light on a IMR16340 vs a IMR18650 both in output and runtime. It's not linear since the little cell is getting the crud beat out of it. :(

7. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

Looks awesome. If they bring out an H version I'll have to get it just for the new better clip design.

hal_chase likes this.
  8. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

H1 535 Lm (3min, then 325lm, total 0.8 hr)

ATB,
    Sam

hal_chase likes this.
  9. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Flashlight tech getting better?

Awesome.

Off topic...

You seriously need to clean up your inbox!

hal_chase likes this.
  10. Ben Rubinstein

That's not too bad actually.

hal_chase likes this.
  11. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

Does it still take 14500s?

hal_chase likes this.
  12. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I'm used to deleting instead of "leaving conversations". Just figured it out :p. 15 mins of clicking later... lol

13. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

Ordered one. I've gots ta!:)

hal_chase and Blerv like this.
  14. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

One of the few companies, if not the only company that actually releases neutral and on the first run. Props to Zebralight! Armtek may as well. Another great company!

Blerv likes this.
  15. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Nice! Seems peer pressure is full-circle. I'll prob get one too :p

16. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

I was getting one no matter what! Just needed to know they were actually available for pre-order. :D

Blerv likes this.
  17. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I'm kind of wondering this, as well. The light Ben has mentioned is actually capable of 800 plus lumens on a single 14500 battery (a lithium ion battery that looks almost just like an alkaline, but has nearly three times the voltage - which the Neutron can take (It's rated to 5 volts).

I'm actually about to pick up on of these Neutrons, per someone's recommendation. Even if it were capable of only a few minutes at this level (before step-down), the output would be pretty incredible.

18. david57strat

A visit to the Zebralight website doesn't appear to make it look like it does. According to the website, the operating voltage range for the SC5 is 0.7 - 2.0 volts, which leaves the 3.7-4.2 volt lithium ion 14500 out of the running :|

hal_chase likes this.
  19. david57strat

They appear to be available for pre-order on the Zebralight site :D

20. david57strat

True. Not bad :)

hal_chase likes this.