1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts on a modular FAK please?!

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by DutchGuy, May 17, 2009.

1. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Loaded Pockets

Hey all,

After lugging my (compact) first aid kits with me anywhere in even crumpled up plastic bags I decided it's no good. It fits like a dream in Camelbaks and other (PLCE) packs but it just does't work great when in a hurry (trying to find something), it doen't protect it contents, and sometimes it's even hard finding the kit itself... I, of ourse, I tried pre fabricated FAK's but they are often to small, to big, to expensive or almpost desintegrate by just looking at them. Nothing new so far imo.

I use my FAK(s) for mountainbiking (Just broke and splintered a bone so i'm sitting at home for a month now. After the crash I used my plastic-bag-FAK and really it's not very handy getting some gauze out :thumbsdown: one handed.), for hiking short and long(er) trips and the occasional geocaching. I'm hauling my Camelbak also in the car as a sort of BOB. I re-pack the FAK sometimes multiple times a day. Not very handy :(.

I'm looking for a system now. Not for every task a different kit :broke: ,because I don't use different bags everytime. So I thought using (for example) two PALS/MOLLE based bags. One basic FAK and an additional FAK for longer trips. I could carry it ín a Camelbak or when it's full ón it using PALS, or fix it on a different, bigger pack or even a drop leg platform (etcetera).

So my question; Do you think a system is handy, could/does it work? What kind of bags/pouches to use? Is PALS/MOLLE the way to go?

I think giving you a content list is not that important (in this thread). If you want a system containing more stuff, use a bigger bag but we'll see what people have to say to this post!

I'm curious what you guys think! Thanks.
    DutchGuy

2. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

I think it's an excellant idea. I just did kind of the same thing-read all about it. Maybe it's just me and you, I got no love on my kit from anyone here :(

3. Kabong30

Kabong30 Empty Pockets

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

hows about one of these:

5.11 Tactical FAK pouch 6" x 6" x 2.5"

[img width=640 height=480]http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr274/Bushman5BFalbum/6e707287.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr274/Bushman5BFalbum/2e2200c5.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr274/Bushman5BFalbum/3f1e5a0b.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr274/Bushman5BFalbum/3f5d1786.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr274/Bushman5BFalbum/191c56e7.jpg[/img]

5. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Loaded Pockets

I was just looking at a couple of those. They are not that expensive; looking good for te money. Think I'm gonna use two of those. Thanks for the pics :cool: !

DutchGuy

6. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

I like these; everything comes with, and in a waterproof Aloksak, in multiple sizes. Ultra small one for travel, larger size for hiking/kids, etc.

7. mr.squatch

mr.squatch Empty Pockets

I carry more fak stuff regularly than most ppl I know, recently I changed over from my red bag to a bob from lapg. http://www.lapolicegear.com/baouttabag.html I got mine for 9.99 on sale, but well worth 4x that imo. It's got a ton of pockets on the outside for fak gear, a modular separation wall inside, and it's small enough to stuff in my glovebox if need be. It's just big enough to fit my netbook in, with a fullsize pistol, three mags, two flashlights and a fullsize roll of tp. .. so it's become my every day bag I take everywhere. It's considerably smaller than it looks in the pics, which for me is perfect size. I have a maxped laptop bag that has most of the same gear in it, but it's too big to take everywhere. This lil guy has become my new bag of evil.

g

[​IMG]
    Size Comparison
    [​IMG]
    With Bigger Brother
    [​IMG]
    Plenty of FAK pockets
    [​IMG]
    Tons of room for other edc goodies
    [​IMG]

8. Neo9710

Neo9710 Loaded Pockets

I know this is an old topic but I think it needs a bump with a little breakdown. I guess there's what I call a standalone pack and a molle pouch. Im looking for a pouch myself....Anyone have pros or cons to each?

9. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

as far as easy acess tacle boxes rule

10. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Yep. The only problem is moving them around

11. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

The downside to modular first aid supplies is I used to either carry an FAK or not depending on if I had a bag etc etc.

That was good when I had it but not so good etc etc. So now in terms of EDC I have a incremental approach to everything including first aid supplies. The minimum I have is a CPR barrier gloves and a few personal meds on my keyring but there are numerous other useful things on there which are not first aid supplies.

If I add my first pocket pouch it has some medi swabs a topper some steri strips and a couple of plasters again alongside some non First aid stuff (But of course so many things can be used for first aid) and so it goes on.

Each level added assumes that the rest of the kit is there. For specific tasks eg day hiking, travelling, the kit that gets added also adds the extras that I think are appropriate but still building on the EDC kit that is dictated by my clothing and the type of bag I have (If any). The downside is that the first aid supplies can be in different places but so long as you can get to them quickly and have done the important work, which is have a plan, then the benefits outweigh the downsides for me. Car and house have first aid kits but that's not really EDC and take into account I may well not be the one using them.

12. Mecha04

Mecha04 Loaded Pockets

I always carry on me a small first aid kit (3 guaze pads, 2 antiseptic wipes, 1 burn gel, a couple of bandaids, and a CPR shield) just in case I don't have my backpack with me. This all fits in a small pouch in my cargo pant pocket.

But my main first aid kit is in my backpack and it is similar to NutNFancy's level I First Aid Pack

13. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

We were always taught to stay well away from burn gels.

14. Mecha04

Mecha04 Loaded Pockets

Could you please explain. Does it do more harm then good? Or because people don't use it right? Thanks.

15. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

They do use some gels in hospitals to prevent infection and promote healing etc. But in the field lot's of water if you have it then cling film is what we get taught and it's the same for UK paramedics. Once they get to hospital they might make matters worse as they will have to get the gel off to assess the burn You can get expensive burn cling film but the food stuff is just as good. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/firstaid/Pages/Burnsbitesstings.aspx
    http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/first-aid-advice/effects-of-heat-and-cold/burns-and-scalds.aspx
    http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4397905_basic-first-aid_-treating-burns.html

16. NAdams65

NAdams65 Empty Pockets

I will only use Silvadene cream on burns unless it is very minor and the some aloe is fine.
    Problem is, Silvadene cream is an RX most places...so not everyone can get it.

I agree with avoiding "burn gels" and other first-aid ointments on burns......trying to keep germs out, not trap them under a bunch of Polysporin.

Okay.....sorry for the off-topic thread highjack......

To the OP,

I really like the idea of modular kits. The problem I have is that I have different kits for different activities:

EDC: boo-boo kit for my kids

Hiking/Biking: upgraded kit crammed in a Maxped FR-1

Household/Travel: Larger still....

Only in my larger kit do I do a modular approach....because I have the room.

17. jfirebalrog

jfirebalrog Empty Pockets

We were taught to use dry dressings once the burn reached a certain size(10%)but smaller wet type dressings make a lot of sense ,especially for partial thickness(2nd degree) burns as these are more painful .Also,there are other methods for long term care,like the use of silver ointments or silver dressings(used as the contact layer of a wet to dry dressing),these take place after debridment,which is surgical in many severe cases.For most small burns the watergel products work very well and are used in some larger applications as well,but follow your training,as it is what will be expected by higher.One other thing when using water on large burns ,watch for hypothermia,as it is a big problem with large burns.

18. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

burn dressing works great!