1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your refined EDC?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by dmattaponi, Jan 5, 2017.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I've been surfing these forums for quite a number of years, and other forums before that. I've accumulated drawers and shelves full of "stuff" that I thought useful for "edc". I still struggle to decide the "best" edc for me, but I can say this...

Out of all the stuff I've tried through the years, I've found a few items useful above all of the others...

1) A Swiss Army Knife. I was hesitant to purchase one at first, viewing them as something of a toy. Once I bought one, I quickly found it to be far more useful than the other knives, and also stronger than I expected (and a better slicer too). It has become a constant companion.

2) A single cell LED Flashlight. I personally like a single AA, but other battery types are fine too. I started carrying a personal flashlight before I ever heard of edc. I've found it to be probably the most used item I carry both day and night. With the coming of LED, the lights just got better.

3) A Pen. It's just something that I need often for a variety of reasons, and its nice to have some sort of pocket pen with me at all times.

I do carry a few other things with regularity, but they are "extras", that I don't use most days, and have often considered leaving at home when I load my pockets each day.

These 3 serve 99.9% of my needs 99.9% of the time (and they do it well). Now if I could just convince myself I need not worry about the remaining .01, I think I'd save a lot of money and free up a bunch of drawer space.

Feel free to share you thoughts about your "refined" edc.

Last edited by dmattaponi, Jan 5, 2017
    #1 dmattaponi, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    313, Redneck Bear, kikaida and 6 others like this.
  2. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Same as you.

A bit different for work, but going out/at home etc I most likely have a 'uk legal' pocket knife, a small torch (single cell also) and a pen. Watch if I'm out, always take them off at home.

I also always have a handkerchief too.

Used to have heavy pockets. Now, not so bad :)

dmattaponi likes this.
  3. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Kershaw Leek -circa 2004
    Streamlight MicroStream -circa 2011
    Zebra F-701 -circa 2014
    White JC Penney Handkerchief I never use them but like having them -Christmas Day 2015.

Of course, I have a smartphone, wristwatch, truck and house key, as well as a wallet.

dmattaponi and kikaida like this.
  4. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Added a TPC Titanium Pocket Clip with LED flashlight to my EDC. The light is brighter than I anticipated.

dmattaponi likes this.
  5. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

When I started in this EDC mania, I thought you had to carry a full medical kit and enough tools to build a house and fix a car. Not to mention carrying at least 2 firearms and enough ammunition to start WWIII. I've come to the revelation that most such gear is not only unnecessary, but also overly cumbersome. I've now pared down to a bit more than I use daily but enough to tackle any reasonable situation. Doomsday probably won't be here this afternoon so I'll keep the BOB at home for now.

That being said, I always have a Vic on my person; usually a Huntsman. It has plenty of tools for me. I carry a larger, although not overly tactical folder just in case and because I like the larger blade. There's always a hank in my pocket because stuff happens. And my phone is honestly the most used piece of EDC, even though many of us don't talk about it.

When I'm not at work I carry a firearm and occasionally an extra mag. Quite frankly, if I need 50+ rounds to keep the bad guys at bay, it isn't too likely that I'll walk away. I keep other goodies in a pocket organizer, which isn't in my pocket. There's always a flashlight, MT and pen from my rotation.

6. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

A handkerchief...now that is something that I used to carry, that I no longer carry, but fairly often have a need for. I might have to add that back in. I keep one in my work bag, but it would be more handy in the pocket. Also, I forgot about the cell phone. I do carry a cellphone everyday, and it doe get a fair amount of use. I've never really considered my watch and wallet a part of my "edc". These are more like my articles of clothing, and although I carry my clothing everyday, I tend to think of my "edc" as those "extra" items that I've chosen to carry because they provide some utility that I've found helpful.

alejestem likes this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Let's see. These are almost always with me, except on Shabbat and other holidays when carrying is prohibited:
    • LF pocket:
      • Altoids FAK
      • pickpocket dangler with:
        • house keys
        • NiteIze DooHickey
        • CountyCom Ti widgy (smallest one)
        • Omron pedometer
        • LM Squirt PS4
      • leather slip with:
        • Fisher space pen
        • Streamlight Microstream
    • Belt:
      • sheath: some type of SAK; usually a Tinker but can vary
      • car key, fob, and NiteIze Tube on carabiner
    • Coin pocket: sometimes a small traditional, e.g., a peanut; other times a Spyderco Ladybug SE of some sort
    • RF pocket:
      • coin pouch
      • brass money clip
      • Altoids 'smalls' tin repurposed as a meds case
      • sometimes a knife on a clip or on a P7; depends what is in rotation
    • LR pocket: wallet
    • RR pocket: bandana
    Even on days when I'm in a suit, I at least have an Alox Cadet with me, together with the money clip and change pouch. Usually a slimmer wallet or sometimes even just a card case for the bare essentials.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

steeps, Redneck Bear and dmattaponi like this.
  8. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

This is what I carry on me:
    Comb
    Wallet
    Keys
    1 or 2 pens, clipped to shirt pocket
    reading glasses
    Case Peanut pocket knife
    Victorinox Alox Mini Champ on key ring
    Loose change
    Cell phone
    Headphones for cell phone

That's it.

When I go to work I carry a laptop bag, and within its front compartments I have a larger SAK, couple of LM multitools (Squirt and Juice), and a CR123 flashlight. That's more than I need most days.

dmattaponi likes this.
  9. FA Tre
    • In Omnia Paratus

FA Tre Loaded Pockets

For a while, my daily carry looked like this
    [​IMG] by -FA_Tre-
    I realized that was overkill for me so now a days, it's something like this[​IMG] by -FA_Tre-

10. kottskrapa

kottskrapa Loaded Pockets

Most people think I have to much on me but I am happy with it.

The most important things I EDC is

1. Wrist watch (G-Shock rangeman)
    2. Phone (Samsung Galaxy alpha)
    3. Multitool (mostly SAK and right now a huntsman)
    4. Flashlight (olight s10r 2)
    5. Fieldnotes with a pen
    6. House key (with backup Fenix e05 and Leatherman PS or victorinox classic SD)

The backup MT depends on what primary one I use, if I have a primary with pliers I have the classic SD on me keys and if I have a SAK I use the Leatherman PS.

That way if I am going out to a party or somewhere where I don't want to loose my Mt or are not legal to carry it I will still have something on me.

Car keys are kept separated and are only on me when I need the car

It's not failure if you learn something from it

11. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I keep it simple with just a light & knife.
    [​IMG]

dmattaponi and Tallboyjim like this.
  12. Bearded_Scout

Bearded_Scout Empty Pockets

I have been working on slimming it down I always have a couple of bottle openers in my bag usually my Gaddy Tool and a Ironbull Slinger

1. Knife- I always have 2 one traditional and one locking today it's my GEC Hayn helper and a ZT 0909 and recently a HK Turmoil OTF all three are with me today.

2. Flashlight - Fenix PD35tac

3. Notebook - Field Notes Shenandoah edition in a Grown :censored: Man Equipment cover

4. Pen - Today it's the new Tactile Turn SLider bolt action in Brass

5. Wallet - Grown :censored: Man Equipment ACE wallet

6. Handkerchief - Alienated Supply company Gadsden Hank

7. Prybar - I use the :censored: out of mine Dragoncut Designs PryRambit (custom) Grade 23 Ti

8. Beard Comb - Otto Tactical Tools Beerd Tool in Bronze

9. Watch- Casio Gshock Analog

10. Multi-Tool - Leatherman Super Tool 300 on my belt

11. Misc. - Word 2017 STandard Memorandum in leather cover I made, :censored: PTSD Hate Pig, Burts Bees in copper sleeve by me

I know I carry a lot but I would be lost without what I carry and everything has a specific purpose sometimes it's just for fun or it has a special meaning but you can bet that my core items, ie. Pen, multi tool, Knife, notebook will be top notch

dmattaponi likes this.
  13. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Off-duty EDC is just the basics for me: Phone, keys, wallet, gun with extra mag, and knife. Sometimes flashlight if it's warranted.

Now my work EDC is a whole different story: personal phone, work phone, keys, wallet, knife, flashlight, Raptor trauma shears, Field Notes, extra gloves, O2 bottle opener, two pens, piece of paper with all my licenses scanned on it (so I don't have to carry them all). Plus my work bag with more stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malraux72 and steeps like this.
  14. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

At the end, things have to be used, to be usefull. So, in my pocket, there is - nothing than a handkerchief and the keys to my house and my car.
    When I go out, the pockets of my jacket are filled with my purse and mobilephone.
    On my way to work, I have a toploader case full of everything, that I could use during the 12 hours, while I am away from my house and my car. And due to the fact that I have to carry it, I try to keep it as light as possible.

15. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

Pocket knife which is usually a Victorinox Camper. Sometimes an ALOX. But the other items are a small AA or AAA light. A lighter and chapstick. Becuase of this forum, the ubiquitous bandana, hanky or shemaugh is riding in a rear pocket. My edc bag is usually in the car or at work with me and within arms reach.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  16. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

I used to carry a bunch of stuff but got tired of having stuffed pockets and items scattered about my person. I found I was constantly doing pocket checks to make sure everything was there. Feeling weighed down was getting old too so my EDC has been refined. I need to carry the essentials of modern life - wallet, phone and keys. The keys have been pared down to three essential keys - Jeep, home, Tuffy security glove box in the Jeep. In the glove box are other keys that aren't needed everyday. Beyond that I carry a knife clipped in my front right pocket. On my keychain is an Atwood Ghost tool which is the size of a key and maybe double the thickness so it's not very bulky at all for the utility it provides (opened many a beer with this tool!) and a custom leather case that houses a Surefire Titan plus AAA flashlight. This little light is extremely bright and more than enough light for EDC. All in all the keychain is not too bulky and rides in the front right pocket with the knife.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Water-Rat likes this.
  18. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

NO DOG TREATS ?:censored:! That is simply selfish ! DOG TREATS-BASIC EDC !

GatorMedic likes this.
  19. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Lol my truck always has two frisbees and at least two balls in it. That is what she prefers over treats by a long shot as play is a much higher reward for her than treats. But I do have a clip on treat pouch that I can take when training. Fits plenty of treats as well as a ball. Nice to see you looking out for Coda though ;)

Gary Gross and malraux72 like this.
  20. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

I am sucker for babes with big brown eyes.... My girl lived by the ball. But I still remember taking out my phone at a meeting and some home made venison dog treat flying from my coat pocket...

Gary Gross and GatorMedic like this.