1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your reason for carrying a knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Wolf427, May 29, 2012.

1. FunctionMode

FunctionMode Loaded Pockets

I generally respond with a humorous, sometimes self-deprecating tone so as to quickly remove any negative connotations they have in their mind.

Things I say:
    My knife is a tool, not a weapon (for the sheep)
    I use it to open things, cut loose threads from clothes, etc...
    I like being prepared
    I just think knives are cool

2. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

^ I've on occasion just shrugged and said, "I don't know... 'cause I like them?" Then they go happily on with their business. Most don't ask more after that. :)

3. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Because not only do we have to cut something once in a while, like plastic blaster packages, string, UPS boxes, but emergencies happen. Twice in my life, I've been the only one there with a knife. In 1985, the better half an I were in a department store, and a little girl who was on the escalator with her mother, got her loose sneaker lace caught in the treads as it got near the top. She and her mother were screaming and the girls foot was being mashed. I was lucky enough that we were close enough in back of them, that I could cut the laces and get her foot out before permanent damage was done.

In January 1991 in Frederick Maryland where rt 15 south goes under the highway, a nut in a blue Datsun 210 passed us like we were standing still. When the Datsun hit the curve it slid out on some ice and rolled, coming to rest agains the guard rail. The battery had shorted out against the engine in the wreck, and a fire was spreading from the engine compartment. I stopped to help, and there was a fat lady screaming about her child, who was in a childs car seat belted in the front. I got the kid out by pushing the seat belt release, and handed the kid still in the child seat to my daughter outside the car. The seat belt release for the mother couldn't be pushed, maybe because of all the weight on it, so I used a Buck 301 stockman to cut her belt. She dropped on her head and it was too bad she didn't break her neck. She had been doing at least 80mph, and if she didn't care about herself, care about the innocent child she almost killed. But I couldn't have got her out of the burning Datsun without a pocket knife to cut the belt.

Sometimes, just once in a lifetime, you'll need a knife very badly. Nothing else will do.

Robz1, sungame, tinker gnome and 5 others like this.
  4. veeks62

veeks62 Loaded Pockets

My three reasons are:
    1. for general utility cutting tasks
    2. for self-defense
    3. 'cause it's cool, and I like playing with them while I watch TV

ChrisJ likes this.
  5. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

Because I got my pants on.

ChrisJ and vegassprky like this.
  6. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Ummm, yup

Me too...

mrlysle likes this.
  7. LoneStar

LoneStar Loaded Pockets

It is what a man does, or lady, and all the people that have ever questioned my knife carry ended up needing to ask for it later for some knife task.

mrlysle likes this.
  8. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Friends and family (and coworkers before I retired) years ago quit questioning or commenting on folder or MT I might have on any given day. In their minds, both are consistent with my "well-equipped" keychain (which invariably gets approving nods and even a few converts :D ).

Only twice that I can recall in recent memory has someone asked "Why?" Call me obstinate (I am), but in both cases I refused to grace their "accusatory" question (the tone and wording earn that characterization) with a defensive reply. In both instances, my response: "Tell me why you think I shouldn't have it." Both times, a pregnant pause while they scrambled to gather their thoughts — because they really didn't have a thought-out reason for asking in the first place. Their question came as a knee-jerk reaction to seeing a knife. Important to note, pocketknives I carry are always people-friendly (unless I'm in outdoor activity). A slip joint. Or SAK. Or small locking folder. Typical blade 2-½" or less. Nothing remotely tactical-looking. Certainly never displayed inappropriately by any measure.

I have little patience for folks "invading my space" with an accusatory or deriding attitude. Ask me in a less-confrontational way, and I'm delighted to have a grown-up dialogue. We don't even have to agree. :)

mrlysle, kertap75 and Pseudonym like this.
  9. Crushmaster

Crushmaster Loaded Pockets

X

#49 Crushmaster, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  10. Phyxiator

Phyxiator Loaded Pockets

Multiple reasons:
    First of all, it is a useful tool. Period. I have experienced that it's not primarily me who needs the knife but other people. Especially among younger people (16-30), it is highly unlikely to find a knife on them. Therefore, Phyxiator comes into action and kindly borrows them a knife.
    It is also common for the people who have asked for the knife to ask me why I am carrying a knife around. Honestly that's stupidity because in fact they have asked for a knife, therefore justifying the carrying of a knife. I usually say (depending on the person, of course): "Some extremely smart person must have forgotten theirs and is now in terrible need of one" or simply point out the various uses of a knife.

Secondly, because I can. There is no law stopping me from carrying one, two or three knives. And since I always carry legally, I simply cannot run into problems.
    Also, there's a nice analogy: Rights are like muscles - if you don't use them, they degenerate.

11. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

How's this for irony?.
    All these people asking stupid questions why you carry a knife and all the "you dangerous" comments, will always call you when they need something cut.

12. tinker gnome
    • In Omnia Paratus

tinker gnome Loaded Pockets

Because I wanna be prepared to cut something and can't borrow a knife from you :p

And, btw, for stabbing I got a pin in my Vic. I'll always remember the face of that nasty kid at the fair when his balloon exploded ... :D

13. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

1. I carry two flat screwdrivers, one philips, cap lifter, can opener and all that happens to have a blade in the same pack. (SAK Tinker)
    2. Because its a tool I can use for several everyday tasks.
    3. I don't carry one. Actually it's more like three (one SAK, two slipjoint for food, three Classic SAK on keychain).
    4. Because the knifes in my workplace are useless and dull.

sungame likes this.
  14. Soup dragon

Soup dragon Loaded Pockets

Honestly no one has ever asked.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  15. RNG

RNG Loaded Pockets

A knife is a versatile tool.

Can be used for:

Freeing yourself from entrapment.
    Self defense.
    Personal hygiene.
    Eating.

16. tinker gnome
    • In Omnia Paratus

tinker gnome Loaded Pockets

I was wondering about this one.
    • Shaving beard / forearms? Nope, latter would be the infamous "split hair test"
    • Hair / nail cutting? There are scissors on my SAKs / MTs
    • Nail cleaning? A bit provocative, and I got nail cleaners on my SAKs for that purpose
    • Cutting toilet paper from the newspaper? I only hope for better quality ink then :frantic:

Please enlighten us.

17. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

I carry a knife because "sometimes I need to cut things".
    -"What kinds of things?"
    "Things."
    Also, sometimes I carry a
    ...flashlight because "sometimes it gets dark".
    ...wallet because "sometimes I have to pay for things".
    ...etc.

18. woolfam

woolfam Loaded Pockets

To pick up the slack for people who don't.

19. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well, I do use a small slip joint to clean/trim my nails. And as for the other things that a knife can do for hygiene that you personally use your SAK/multitool for, maybe the RNG does the same. I personally consider SAKs knives, even if I don't use the knife exclusively. And if he uses a giant tactical fixed blade for these tasks? More power to him.

20. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Because if I didn't, I would be nothing more than a rather intelligent ape with an unusually sparse coat of fur :p.

Seriously, when anyone asks, I normally answer with "once a boy scout, always prepared". This answer is 50/50 truth and tactics. Truth, because I used to be a boy scout and I try to be prepared. Tactics because it's the only half joking answer I know that might paint me as a good guy rather than some knife wielding smart mouth.

And yet, no one asks you why you carry a screw driver, can opener etc.? I guess i could use this answer as well, as the only knife I normally EDC is the blade on my Style CS.

mrlysle likes this.