1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your preference Pen Vs Pencil?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by WhatMACHI, Jun 20, 2007.

1. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

I always carry a couple of those golf pencils with me to write on my range book. Its a rite in the rain book so the pencil works great. Sharpen it on a rock if you have to. I do EDC something i have never heard of from anyone else.

I carry a black China marker. It writes on anything and I mean "anything". When its dull, just pull the string and unwind some more point. They are really soft and write on glass, gloss paper, you name it. They are even great for tactical stuff such as room clearing, you put your mark on the door with it and everybody on the team knows its been accounted for. It is even good for marking hasty breach points on walls, just mark the spot for the charge and there is no question as to where the charge needs to be placed. you can let it rip with confidence that there is no communication breakdown (i.e. verbal target description only) on where the charge needs placing. And they write on wet surfaces to.

2. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

I write notes and take down information all day. The smoothness and contrast of a Pen is what I need ED. I use pencil for sketches when the creative juices are flowing, for the simple fact that I can shade and (seemingly) create colors and depth with lead that I just can't get with a regular Gel ink pen.

My fav pen right now is a Uni-ball Vision Exact, Micro.

3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

:iagree: White out tape is so much better than the liquid!

4. x59628

x59628 Empty Pockets

As a student, my answer is:

PEN!!!

Mechanical pencils are too dull for fine math numbers, and grey really isn't high contrast enough. Wood pencils are also a PAIN to carry. Wood pencils also are just too troublesome. The constant rotating to get to the sharp side manuver combined with snapping points are not attractive when doing "Timed Writings" Yes, pencil is erasable, but there are many times in the school world when you DON'T want your markings to be erasable. Although...I do have to admit that pencils are good for one thing: computerized answer sheets, simply because thats the only thing you can use it on...
    And, not to mention, to erase pencil, you kinda need an eraser... Most erasers on pencils are garbage, and after lending out polymer block erasers and losing almost every single one that way, I stopped carrying erasers because I found that the pause you have to take to erase something is long enough to throw you off COMPLETELY when copying math problems and such.

Pens (Fisher Space ballpoints to be more precise) write more smoothly, don't smear as easily, and are consistant. If you screw up, scratch it out and move on. Kinda makes you think about what you're going to write a bit more carefully as well. Pens carry easier in the pocket as there are no sharp tips to worry about, and no graphite powder going EVERYWHERE. And mechanical pencils just run out of lead at the most inopportune time. Wood pencils and cheapy plastic mechanical pencils snap WAY too easily (nothing is truly indistructable when you're in highschool...). Most pen cartridges (Parker size) will write MUCH longer than a box of wood pencils or a large lead capacity mechanical pencil. (my Fisher Space SPR-4 lasted this entire schoolyear and is still going strong...ish....)

The bottom line is that in a school environment, pencils are harder to maintain, don't write as well, and are just not as usable. If I can, I even use pen for math.

Last year, I carried a Fisher Space AG7, which worked fine, but I just ordered a Tuff Writer (look for a full review of that in a few weeks, btw) and will be carrying that this year.

just my $0.02 :p

5. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

I've gotten a little fed up with regular pencils and have switched to the thick pencils that kindergardeners use. I have large hands so they fit a lot better and can double as a kubaton if need be :D.

My math teachers insist that we use pencils so I have to use them.

In all reality though, I won't even bother erasing anymore; i just scratch it out. I like pens better.

-vivek

6. adirondack

adirondack Loaded Pockets

I haven't used a pencil regularly in years. Can't stand them.

7. thewae

thewae Empty Pockets

I cant stand pencils.
    I use a Zebra dailey.

8. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I used to use pencils the whole time (more particularly, a 0.5mm Pentel q1000 I have been unable to find anywhere since) but in uni came across the problem of the leads I had available not being dark enough - when coming back to read notes later they were just nowhere near as clear as note written in pen (A Parker Jotter with gel cartridge) so I switched over to pens and haven't looked back (now using the same Jotter at home/work, and a Fisher Bullet as EDC)
    One of the other main points about a pencil is that it is erasable - at university I found that of no help, as when taking down notes you often have little time to get everything on paper so being neat and stopping to erase mistakes and rewrite leaves you getting lost - the way I ended up working was to take down the notes quickly in class (scoring out mistakes) and then afterwards rewrite them neatly which had the bonus of going over the notes while they were still fresh, and producing a neat copy for use later when I can take my time and write neatly in pen.

I do realise that using a different lead type or size would have helped matters, but the 0.7mm leads always seemed more imprecise to me, and I didn't have available much in the way of alternate lead beyond HB

9. Gorbag

Gorbag Loaded Pockets

At work, it's the Fisher Bullet for me. With all the various safety forms I have to fill out to prove I'm not poisoning someone with gnarly food, I want my writing to be as dark as can be. Plus it's a handy little pen that doesn't take up a bunch of room in my overstuffed pocket.

At home, it's a tossup between pen and pencil, usually whatever is at hand. I like to scribble with a 0.9mm mechanical pencil with one of the harder leads, so as to cut down on the smearing. If I'm doing something longhand, usually it's in pen.

I've never really had a problem with mechanical pencils running out of lead at inopportune moments. I get the fat barreled pencils and dump a whole container of leads in there, then keep a container or two handy. Being somewhat "heavy handed", I prefer the big lead sizes.

10. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, May 27, 2012
  11. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

I'm definately a pen guy. Favorite is the good ole bullet space pen with black ink. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm a gamer geek at heart I wouldn't even own a pencil. Because I am though, I carry a zebra m301 with .5mm leads. I really like my chicken scrach to be neat and legible (at least to me :D)

12. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

When I dress for work a medium or bold tip pen that writes black goes in my pocket.

At home when I'm making notes or writing down where to send MO I'll pick up a .5mm pencil.

I'm not likely to start EDC a pencil however.

13. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

Pens. I do like sharpening my own pencil though. I do hate mechanical pencils. Too many parts to break, led is too fragile, and its and can't sharpen with a knife :) Pencils fade far too fast. Best example, a house I used to live in, had the electrical panel done with a pencil, by the time we moved in you didn't have a clue what was for what!!!! :lolhammer:

14. greyhaven

greyhaven Empty Pockets

The warehouse that I work at can get pretty cold in the winter (-40 C) so pens are a no no and pencils fade so we all use sharpies. I love them added a thin one to my edc bag recently it works great.

15. Marduke

Marduke Loaded Pockets

Have you tried the Fisher refills? Kept in your pocket, they should work great at colder temps. They advertise to -35C.

16. greyhaven

greyhaven Empty Pockets

I keep those in mind next time we order office supplies at work. Thanks

17. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I can't even FATHOM -40C (what is that in F anyway?) indoors!

18. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Years ago I enjoyed using mechanical pencils with thin lines, but I have found pencil lines to be too light for me. Used to do lots of cartooning and drawing when I was a kid, and so pencils came in handy.

Lately the most legible, trouble free pen I have used is the Pilot G2 clickie with gel ink. Used to avoid gel ink because I found I was allergic to it, but this one doesn't bother me.

For writing in my personal journals, I prefer a fountain pen. I've recently got interested in using and buying them again (a costly pursuit!) I have tried a few different types over the years but my Parker 95 seems to write the smoothest. I also have a Parker 21 and Parker 51 <which some say is the best modestly priced fountain pen ever made>.

I always like to have a small notepad and pen in my shirt pocket whenever I go out. For that I usually grab my Zebra F301 Compact. If I run out of room in my pocket, I can always clip it to my keys or my belt keyclip since it has a thin keyring. Easy to carry, durable, writes well, thin precise line. I already have a Pico Pen on the same lanyard clip that holds my Leatherman Micra, so I'm never without a pen.

I'm also a fan of the Zebra 701, and I have several Parker T-Ball Jotters that I've bought and enjoyed using over the years. CVS now sells a stainless Jotter that is pretty nice. The 701 is good for journals with paper that doesn't accept fountain pen ink or the like too easily. The thin line lets me write fairly small to record a lot of information. But as my eyes age I am now writing BIGGER AND BIGGER :laugh:

For editing manuscripts (I'm an editor/writer) I usually use the G2 lately, although I've experimented with fountain pens, fiber pens, and others. I don't like editing with a pencil because the marks will be light and can fade.

You'd think I'd stick with the same thing over the years but I seem to switch back and forth. Was a big fan of the Pilot fiber pens when they first came out, but haven't used them much lately. I think the G2 lasts longer.

19. greyhaven

greyhaven Empty Pockets

I looked it up and believe it or not -40 is -40 in either C or F, how crazy is that. Yes it is cold, I work in an unheated warehouse (a converted barn) with a concret slab for a floor.
    In the winter the only difference btw the outside temp and inside is that there is no windchil inside. Needless to say we wear lots of layers.

20. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

Definitely pens for me. I regularly use a Pelikan M800 fountain pen and Lamy Dialog2 rollerball.