1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your perfect tool kit?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by CBRNE, Oct 8, 2017.

1. CBRNE

CBRNE Loaded Pockets

I am making my life ever-increasingly mobile and modular. Eventually everything I own that is not furniture will fit in a series of pelican cases I can load and abuse as needed. I spend a lot of time on the road as it is, all over the world.

If you could put together a tool kit that can fix most problems you could reasonably encounter, what would be in it? This kit would have to fit in a pack, and live in a nylon pouch of some sort. Ive done research and I see a lot of gear online that EOD guys use, which has given me some good ideas. Do a google search for "EOD Tool Kit" for some great kit :censored:.

What are your ideas?

pacrawshaw likes this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Me too!
    I travel a lot with Zero notice sometimes and so I need to be modular and packed to go all the time.
    Between these 2 bags and a few Pelican 1510' I can be on the road to anywhere as soon as I close the lid and get to transport.

I do "Sudden Service" on A/V and Automation.Boardroom stuff as one Gig and service and Install all over the place on a slower schedule too and over the course of many years I have distilled my loadout to be pretty workable and inclusive for my own needs.

I also often buy tools as needed where needed and have multiples of many things which actually just makes this whole thing more simple as long as I have space?

I have 2 fully complete "Road Sets" of tools as well as 2 vehicles loaded all the time and it is a blessing and a curse but I loves me some tools so.......

I will take 1 or 2 1510' and then any number of bigger cases as needed up to a 1660 which can be tough to handle to say the least too!

The nice thing is that I can ship bigger cases ahead if I have time and ship them back too and it is a lot easier than trying to wrestle them through Airports for sure!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 EZDog, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  3. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Still working on mine --- you can see the core of it in my avatar:

- Niwa camera toolkit w/ additional bits
    - Byrd Harptool
    - 2 small sets of hex wrenches

stored in a Levenger "Safety Case" modeled on the cases knitting machine mechanics used to keep their tools in (anyone ever seen a vintage / original toolkit like that?)

to which I've since added

- Fix-it Sticks (removable edition)
    - small Mininch Toolpen mini clone

and I extend that w/ a bag which contains:

- Mininch multipurpose tool pouch w/ Mininch ToolPen and WrenchIt (gotta get the mini yet for the trifecta)
    - Silca ratchet and TI torque tool
    - Altoids tins w/ bits and sockets and adapters
    - Leatherman Pocket Survival Tool
    - Leatherman Crunch
    - Old Timer 6-Blade Wood Carving Tool Knife
    - vintage adjustable wrench --- I'd like a better option for this, and still trying to find the perfect tool for this slot (I'd love to get a Spyderench, but not winning the auctions when they come up)

And I've been working up a small kit in a Katahdin Gear tool roll

- Elemen'tary No. 1 Screwdriver
    - Felo Bit driver
    - Stanley Odd Jobs
    - Stanley brass-bound four-fold rule --- I'd like to replace this w/ a metric/Imperial one, ideally ~9" long which could measure up to 1M
    - digital calipers
    - Nicholson four in hand rasp
    - saw
    - Craftsman Robogrip pliers
    - Snap-On flush cutters
    - brass gunsmithing hammer/screwdriver
    - Schroeder Yankee screwdriver w/ assortment of bits in handle

There's a bit of overlap which I'd like to trim down --- thinking I need to keep a log of which tools actually get used over the course of a year or something.

4. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

A Leatherman has more tools than I use.

Electrical craftsmanship tools, like the guy's EOD kit, sure look neat, but I don't know what to do with most of them. I'm also color blind so wiring and bombs aren't my forte.

The guy that comes in and works on our Telecom systems has some nifty stuff too. We talked about butt phones once. Seems like a neat item for your cool guy operatives kit assuming you don't have an Iridium.

5. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

At my job, my tools are a mix of mechanical and electrical use tools. All together, these would be heavy, but could fit into a 10" x 13" mesh vinyl pouch (barely):
    - Wadsworth Super Deluxe Mini Ratchet set (best bit-driver set EVER!)
    - Metric hex key set, ball-end.
    - 6-in-1 screwdriver, phillips/slotted
    - Wiha precision screwdrivers
    - Channel Lock stubby adjustable wrench
    - LED light with high and low brightness
    - A good knife.
    - Electrical tape.
    - Zip ties.
    - Westward long-handle nut driver (10mm)
    - Sharpie marker(s)
    - Machinist's scale (ruler), metric
    - Needle nose pliers
    - Diagonal cutters
    - Extendable inspection mirror
    - Fluke digital multi-meter.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Whatever you end up putting together, make sure you have a knipex pliers wrench in the set! Its one of the best and most used tools i have hands down, its a full set of wrenches in both metric and colonial guesswork, its a mini vice to hold stuff with, its a clamp to flatten things.. get whatever size fits the things you work on best. It will not disappoint.

7. CBRNE

CBRNE Loaded Pockets

Just a BB. I am looking into an iridium "sleeve" for my phone. Or a hotspot.

8. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I just revived an old thread the other day that was along these lines. I've been "slimming down" the tools that I carry on a daily basis as I've moved out of the field and into almost 100% oversight.

I'm basing my carry off of a Veto ProPac LC. I hadn't thought about putting them in Pelican case.

I'll be back with pictures.

9. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

I just carry a Leatherman Wave with an adapter kit. It handles most jobs, but if I encounter anything more in depth, I'm grabbing my regular toolbox that has full sized versions of everything I need and a drill.

10. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

Great. Now I'm going to mine this thread for all sorts of gear to lighten my wallet. Sigh.... :)

pacrawshaw likes this.
  11. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

What kind of tools you need depends entirely on what you plan to work on. Woodworking, plumbing, automotive, electrical- you could fill a 747 with all the tools you "might" need on a daily basis. It's hard to even pair down what you might need for "jack-of-all-trades" purposes. I live in an apartment and work on cars quite frequently so I built a "parking lot garage" toolkit that lives in my truck toolbox. It's probably over 200lbs worth of tools- A jack, jack stands, 100pc ratchet set, a box full of paints and lubricants, and my main tool bag which contains most of the screwdrivers, pliers, hammers, wrenches, etc I need. It's a lot but also light enough that I can carry the racket set and tool bag around a junk yard when I'm hunting for parts. I could post a comprehensive list tomorrow if you want.

WillAdams likes this.
  12. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

I carry a Wave, the extra bit kits for it, the bit extender, a hex shank 1/8 drill bit, a magnet, a sharpie, a pen, a 16 D nail, two paper clips, two bobby pins, and an eye glasses cloth (all loaded in my Wave pouch). My wallet has a handcuff key, sewing needle, 2 fish hooks, mini ferro rod, some duct tape, a pipe cleaner, and an emergency cutting tool. My pockets have my folding knife of the day, a Gerber Dime, phone, Fenix E-12 flashlight, mini bic lighter, keys, Gerber Shard, and keychain ferro rod.

WillAdams likes this.
  13. pacrawshaw

pacrawshaw Loaded Pockets

What are the red/black, and black, items above the yellow handle wrench?

14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Snapon ratcheting driver and MultiMeter.
    The Driver handle and tube separate and the tube is there too and the meter is a probe style auto-ranging model with bar graph.

pacrawshaw likes this.
  15. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Finally back with some pictures.

Veto ProPac LC
    [​IMG]

One Side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Other Side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

pacrawshaw, Syy and volvoboy like this.
  16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Very nice. Looks like a whole new evolution in (dare I say ) 'tool boxes', for lack of a better term.

What line of work are you in? This pack at least doesn't make me think of carpentry; nor perhaps plumbing? But the lack of sockets sort of precludes vehicle mechanics. Electrical? Just testing my poor powers of deduction out....!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

17. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I own some commercial properties as well as a full-service handyman and general contracting company. All my automotive tools stay in the garage.

The Veto ProPac line has been around for several years. They are incredible tool bags.

18. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Mudinyeri: So much for my efforts at powers of deduction! LOL

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Mudinyeri likes this.
  19. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

6" extra wide Jet adjustable wrench, short cobra knipex pliers, picquic multidriver,in vest pockets. fenix pd35 victorinox spirit tool on belt takes care of most stuff in my old building oh yeah almost forgot, cell phone to call the real handymen

Last edited by flnder, Nov 11, 2017
    #19 flnder, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  20. Syy

Syy Loaded Pockets

I can also vouch for the veto pro pack line. I use the tech pack backpack everyday and don't know how I got along without it. Pricey, but if used often well worth the price, as are most quality items.