1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your perfect multitool...

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by severdhed, May 29, 2017.

1. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I've been searching for years, but so far, I haven't been able to locate the multitool that perfectly fits my needs. A few come close, but they are always lacking something, or have to much extra crap. I don't need a can opener, or a bottle opener, or any weird little things that can sometimes work as a screw driver.

Here is what I want, that nobody seems to make.

I'd start with the basic design of the Leatherman Skeletool. I want something that carries like a knife and it is the closest I've found to what I'm looking for.

The pocket clip is good

I want a plain edge instead of half serrated blade

The pliers are good

I'd like a single reversible screwdriver bit instead of two separate ones., Ideally standard hex bits.

I'd get rid of the caribiner/ bottle opener

Then, I'd like the following items added:

Scissors. This is a must for any multitool.

Awl.

Saw

Tweezers

Toothpick

And in a perfect world, and additional small, thin Victorinox style blade.

I guess I'll just have to continue carrying a Skeletool and a SAK until someone makes one of these.

I really wish Victorinox would make a line of Skeletool-like tools.

What would you wish for?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Maybe try a vic multi tool?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

3. outbackwack

outbackwack Loaded Pockets

I love my Leatherman Surge but it's a dang heavy tool. The Wave is the one I carry most. I don't mind having a serrated blade on my tool because I also carry a knife that can serve its purpose if needed. And I couldn't agree with you more... "Scissors. This is a must for any multitool." I use mine OFTEN.

4. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

A bigger choice of multitools with slipjoint knives, and more with spring pliers. There isn't much past a few of the heavier SAKs and the juice range which is pretty expensive in the uk for what it is.

5. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I think I'd like to have a Skeletool CX with a pair of Juice or similar scissors instead of the knife blade.

lessershoe likes this.
  6. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

The Vic multitools look nice, but from what I can tell, the blades aren't one hand opening. I want something I can carry like a folder in my pocket.

I have a Leatherman surge with the optional pocket clip. It does have most of the tools I require, but is still missing the toothpick and tweezers. Also, at 12oz, it is pretty heavy for pocket carry.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

7. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

skeletool plain finish with scissors as well as half-serrated knife. Even without the scissors for non outback use it is close to perfect. I often marvel at its iconic design.

tbzbbt

8. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

A mini Victorinox Spirit - the size of a Squirt, or just a wee bit bigger. With traditional SAK scissors, not the Spirit version.

Radioactive_Man likes this.
  9. ArkansasFan30

Cool. I don't want a knife blade in it. I want a quality tool for air travel plus day to day use.

10. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Here are the must-haves on a multi larger than keyring-size, for me:
    • Pliers -- the Rebar or (new) Surge pliers are close to the Platonic Ideal of multitool pliers for me
    • A really good plain-edge blade, preferably a clip-point and S30V or M390 steel (although D2 would work)
    • A file, one side for wood and the other for metal
    • A saw for wood
    • At least a flatblade and phillips screwdriver
    • Can opener (you don't need one until you REALLY need one)
    • Bottle opener (this I use regularly for barley soda)
    • Scissors
    These are nice-to-haves for me:
    • Eyeglass screwdriver
    • Awl
    • Serrated blade

Other than the pliers and the 440C plain-edge blade, I am describing the LM Wave. I've modded mine with a Rebar head and an S30V aftermarket blade and I'm pretty happy with it. I'd like for Leatherman to do something like this for a Wave 3.0.

eduardotta likes this.
  11. bfitz

bfitz Loaded Pockets

Either a Swisschamp without the small pliers but a small light like the midnight manager, or the Wave with an awe or pry bar type tool in place of the fixed large flathead screwdriver and replaceable wire cutter with spiring loaded pliers. Maybe add some sort of hammer like tool to the wave like the Mut.

12. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

IMO, if the LM Charge ALX had scissors and a decent bottle opener, it would be perfect.

13. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I want a tool about PST size and form factor, though this is very much negotiable, with rolled edges, a good three sided file, a good Phillips driver in number two size (a bit holder would work as well provided it didn't hog too much room), a dedicated large flathead that's sturdy enough for light prying, of course the rest of the typical PST/PPP tool ensemble, one hand opening fine needle nosed pliers with, and here's the kicker, a decent set of non-insulated type electrical crimpers which don't get in the way of the plier jaws. I don't need a wire stripper because I prefer to use a knife anyway. I don't need an insulated crimper because I can fudge it with pliers if I have to. I certainly don't need a blasting cap crimper. But I can't make a good neat crimp on a non-insulated connector with a pair of pliers.

If SOG made a pocket power plier with a better file, a Victorinox style "strong crate opener", a better Phillips driver, moderately rolled edges (even the Powerlock covers would be decent), covered gears, and a plier head with a good electrical crimper where the Powerlock's cap crimper is, I'd be a happy man.

Especially if they kept the price the same as a normal s44 or at a reasonable markup for the better features and construction.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

14. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I do. In answer to your original question "What would you wish for?"

15. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

It's interesting to see the importance given to scissors and Skeletool love. It is completely anecdotal but LM are you listening? I have no idea :censored: they were thinking with the new wrinkly Juices and the Signal of despair.

Tbzbbt

16. ArkansasFan30

Wasn't my question. I just answered. ;)

17. akvHFS

akvHFS Loaded Pockets

Gerber bluntnose one handed opener.

[​IMG]

NelsonIII likes this.
  18. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Spring loaded pliers
    Scissors
    Precision bit driver (eyeglasses size)
    Reversible bit driver
    A stout dedicated flat head bit that can be used for prying
    No blade.

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I carry a US military style P-51 can opener in my coin pouch. Cheap; takes virtually no space; weighs next to nothing and I've never found a can it won't open!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

chaosmagnet likes this.
  20. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

Skeletool is still my favourite multi tool. But I did feel compelled to mod mine to add scissors: https://www.edcforums.com/threads/scissors-in-skeletool.113354/#post-2302854

But I do also carry an Alox Solo.

pvsoriano and WillAdams like this.