1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your opinion on younger Individuals

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Tyrolee, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Fill your bag of experience before emptying your bag of luck ;)

ManVsLawn and Replete like this.
  2. Butch007

Butch007 Loaded Pockets

I'm a 50 year old father of 2 teenagers. I'm proud of how they are both tuning out, even though I get to brag to them that I have a better dad than they do.
    I enjoy reading interesting statistics about today's youth. The facts prove that kids today are doing far better than we've seen for decades.
    Examples:
    1. Youth violence is declining
    2. Teen pregnancy is down
    3. Drug use is declining
    4. IQ scores/grades are increasing
    5. Teen driving accidents are down
    6. Teens earn more money than previous generations
    7. Today's youth tend to be closer and enjoy being with their parents

Of course, we can see examples everyday of screw-ups. But overall, the facts show a good sign.

ManVsLawn, Mr. Martines and Replete like this.
  3. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Why do you need pepper spray? Use your brains instead. You're smart enough to think about things, simple awareness will take care of many of the problems in your environment.

keith1234 likes this.
  4. Fenris

Fenris Loaded Pockets

As a fellow young'n (19 come February,) I really do understand the situations that we are put into. We're seen either as peers or as social subordinates, which leads to a certain amount of horseplay. Things tend to escalate from there into dangerous situations which are near unavoidable and inescapable, considering the persistent and reckless pushing of boundaries shown by our fellow kiddos. Pepper spray, though, may not be the best solution. I'm not sure how things are over in Florida, but pepper spray here in Utah is seen as a woman's weapon. Combined with the attention you give to your appearance in your role as a modern gentleman, it may entice exactly the kind of situation better avoided.

Mr. Martines likes this.
  5. Alistair Hammond

Alistair Hammond Loaded Pockets

Another 18 year old her, at uni studying Aeronautical Engineering. Being in the UK, I can't really say much about carrying pistols or pepper spray, both of which are illegal here. What I would say is that you shouldn't ignore those who are older and wiser than you. They've gone through life before you and they tend to have few good tips. Also, they often enjoy being around younger people who are mature and willing to show an interest, and you can often find them willing to spend their time and resources helping you.

An example: I'm part of the university gliding club. I go down the airfield most weekends, help with everything from launching and retrieving the aircraft to cleaning and maintaining them. As well as our parent club giving the university special rate, last weekend we were sat in the clubhouse with a low cloudbase stopping us flying, when one of the pilots offered to take us up for a flight in the tug aircraft up through the clouds. He paid for it out of his own pocket! (We did give the tug a good clean as a means of repayment.)

Also, I have to respectfully disagree with JohnJones. Don't take believing in God as a requirement of being a good man, religion and faith are personal to you and you need to make your own choices.

Finally: yes, wear a belt.

Water-Rat, Fenris and Mr. Martines like this.
  6. sharpguitarist

sharpguitarist Loaded Pockets

Hey guys,
    Just wanted to add an observation.
    I work with several younger guys, and most are fairly mature acting in general.
    Some of them actually surprise me with gentlemanly acts and gestures.
    I just think its funny when they ask me what time it is, and I show them my analog watch face, and you can see the confusion on their faces when there's no digital readout.
    Or when I tell them its a quarter after, and they think it's 25 past the hour, and immediately pull out their phone and look to see for sure.
    Hilarious!
    Later,
    Don

Water-Rat and Mr. Martines like this.
  7. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

With all due respect, I have never observed any correlation between a belief in God and goodness, morality, or ethical behavior. I've encountered believers who behaved to the highest standards of their faith, and believers who lived despicable lives. The same for non-believers. I was raised by second-generation atheists to carry on the family tradition of honesty and integrity. I've seen enough (good and bad) happen to believers and non-believers alike that I cannot attribute anything that happens to a deity of any type.

Non-belief can be just as enlightening as belief. Don't let either get in the way.

Alistair Hammond likes this.
  8. Ben Rubinstein

I teach college students and over the past few years this has always been my advice:

"Don’t ever do stuff just because everyone else is doing it. Those who apply the peer pressure do not respect those who succumb and any gains from becoming a sheep are only ever short term. In the long term the only feelings are those of regret and self disgust at not having held your ground, at not having been whom you believed yourself to be. You ever notice that the really cool people are the ones who everyone hangs around not the hangers on? The cool people are the trend setters not those who follow the trend."

I'd add to that, as others have mentioned, read the artofmanliness website. Not necessarily for specific advice but to pick up on a certain mindset.

And if you can get rid of the smartphone and get a regular phone, from someone double your age, you would be my hero. I have not seen anything worse for your generation than the slavery to that device. There's a whole wide world out there to be amazed at and experienced but if you are looking down at those 4 inches of screen, you'll miss it all.

Wydern and BobsBargains like this.
  9. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't say get rid of it, but rather use it with moderation and for usefull stuff. I see my smartphone as a tool for work, school and for entertainement and I certainly could live without it but I found it to be a nice item. The problem is that smartphones are marketed almost as gaming consoles with top of the line CPUs and GPUs, and parents don't seem to give the adequate education about moderation. But I agree, the artofmanliness website is really nice to learn new stuff that has been forgotten or not taught

Wydern likes this.
  10. Ben Rubinstein

I don't know, it's horrendously addictive. I saw work advertised recently specifically for non smartphone users. A lot of employers are getting very fed up of the constant distraction. Myself included, I almost fired one of my employees recently for that, he just wasn't getting anything done because of the constant whatsapp, facebook, etc notifications that all HAD to be read and replied to. He's on probation at present. My students are the same, they can't get through a lesson without constant checking of their notifications. To say that it is disruptive is a huge understatement. Concentration needs dedication without distraction, whether in the workplace or classroom/lecture theatre. You say to use it in moderation but I've yet to see that happen among the majority, even then only among older people. I'd be interested in knowing what larger companies policies are for smartphone use in the workplace.

Wydern and Mr. Martines like this.
  11. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I have to agree that younger people get pretty addicted, but in my workplace (huge company) you just don't have time to play with your smartphone. I sometimes do but it's mostly Friday afternoon, one hour before going home. When people are passionate about what they do (they almost all are where I work) they stay on point. As for company policies, it's forbidden to use it while on the railway, in the company car, even with headphones, but the rest is up to the bosses. But yeah we live in a society where everyones needs to be connected to everybody all the time and I don't think it's going to change for the best...

12. johnny five

johnny five Loaded Pockets