1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your obsolete items !!

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by clock, Jun 26, 2010.

1. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

With this many (gear ) addicts in this forum , there must be tonnes of old/obsolete gear filling your drawers and closets. So, what do you do with older knives, flashlights, bags ..etc. ?

I don't like throwing anything. And most my gear is cheap and not worth going to flea market to try and sell. So, I move them to "backup" category.

Like many of you, I have some non-LED flashlights ( good old days ), and I have moved some of them to backup kits like the one in my office where the chance of anything bad happeneing is not big , but you never know. So, I have prepared that kit to help me shelter in place in the office for 2-3 days.

Those flashlight are very nice for staying in place, especially if power is out. The flashlight has a rotating head to change light pattern from narrow beam to flood. If you unscrew it further, the head comes off and the flashlight looks like a battery-operated candle (throws light in 360 degress - all around).

Better yet, that head which came off fits the flashlight base ( where you insert the betteries ) and makes the "candle" more stable in standing position.

I thought that after having the LED flashlights , those old flashlight/candles should be moved to where a candle may be needed. And so two of them now sit in the office locker with a bunch of AA batteries. Beside them in the same kit, there is half a dozen tealight candles.

Do you have stories of "new life" for obsolete gear ??

2. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

Most of it I give away to friends and family. I also get a lot items that I purchase as test samples for possible products on my site. Many of these wind up as gifts as well. I also keep a "FREE" box and a raffle box in the stock room. Through out the year I throw items in them. One or twice a year I go to a large camping event and I bring these boxes for the other campers. Unfortunately my wife has a very bad habit of putting items from personal collection into the "FREE" box. She thinks no one can possibly need as many gadgets as I have.

3. RobertRogers

RobertRogers Empty Pockets

I've got a large number of slightly damaged firesteels. Also, various firesteel gear that has newer versions out. Often I give them to scouting organizations, soldiers on deployment, etc.

4. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

I build hand out bags with my old and surplus stuff. Basically I know in a disaster I am going to be dealing with a few unprepared family members despite my best efforts so I put together bags that I can had them to remedy the situation.

5. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

Like the previous comments, I have a variety of incandescent lights, low power LED lights, and other bits of gear which I keep for those who may need to borrow them. If they get returned, great; if not, then no loss.

6. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I give them to my nephew and relatives as simple gifts. The kids like them because they used to belong and used by their Uncle.

7. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

LOL. I used to have a 2-car garage that looks like the unholy coupling of an REI and a surplus store.

Now I have a 1600 sq foot storage building.

My biggest fear is that should I die, my wife will sell the stuff for what I said I paid for it ;)

8. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

+1 to that!!!! REI is AMAZING!!! I have always said that I own at LEAST half of REI!!!

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

No need to fear! Tell her the truth . . . in your will. :)

10. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

Great idea, but then again she might give it away out of spite!!!

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Not if his stuff is expensive enough. :D

12. wilster

wilster Loaded Pockets

I give my old gear to scout groups or to high school outdoors clubs.

13. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I subscribe to the notion that nothing is obsolete as long as it continues to perform whatever function for which you purchased it. Of course my being on the older - maybe even way older - side of things, I have to maintain a very conservation outlook in terms of obsolescence.

14. RickBlane

RickBlane Banned

Used in other BOBs and placed where needed