1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your multitool carry progression

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by freedoom, Jan 10, 2010.

1. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

What was the first multitool you carried? what did you carry after that and why did you switch? what do you carry today?

First i carried a SAK Deluxe Tinker that my grandfather gave me, it mostly didn't get carried because i was still in grade school and schools have problems with things like that. The pliers seemed more decorative than functional so i upgraded.

Second i carried a Bucktool. My brother in law carried one at the time and I like the pliers and the unique way of opening the tool but the novelty wore off and it just seemed awkward.

After the bucktool i picked up the original design of the Leatherman Wave(pre-bit driver). It is one of the best tools i ever owned and fell in love with the easy access to the blades. the only reason i switched was because of the Leatherman Charge Ti, it had the bit driver and titanium handles. I gave the wave to my step brother who i think lost it :mad:

The Charge Ti was my 4th tool and it saw a lot of use. I still own it and it really needs to go back to leatherman for service. But one day i saw the skeletool and counted the tools on the Charge that i actually used frequently. the blade, the bit driver, the pliers and the scissors. i can live without the scissors as i have access to separate scissors most of the time.

I currently carry a Skeletool CX. it's one of my favorites and i use it regularly.

2. Outlander

Outlander Loaded Pockets

Started with a Leatherman Kick and quickly switched to a Swisstool. Perfect Multi for me.

3. millhouse

millhouse Loaded Pockets

Vic Hiker
    Cheap copy of Leatherman PST
    Gerber Multi Plier
    Leatherman Wave
    Gerber MP400
    Leatherman Blast
    Leatherman New Wave
    Leatherman Charge Ti
    Leatherman Skeletool
    Vic Spirit
    Vic Spirit X

4. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

I won't bother getting into the long list of SAKs I've transitioned from (needless to say, it started with a BSA Tinker and a Vagabond, and is now at an Explorer Plus most often and a Rambler), but in the name of a pure multitool, it was:

Ohio Forge PST knock-off
    Leatherman Kick + Micra
    Leatherman Juice KF4
    Victorinox SwissTool Spirit X (with a SwissTool in my bag)

Yeah, not that terribly much, thankfully, and my current set up is nice. :)

5. bzorg

bzorg Loaded Pockets

I was carrying a swisschamp and I have change for a leatherman wave because I find it more practical at work.

6. Larwyn

Larwyn Loaded Pockets

I started out with a Gerber but after I found that the handles pinched my palm every time I used the pliers, I gave that one away and got a Leatherman. Don’t think they had more than one model at the time, it was just an original Leatherman.
    At some point I tried a Buck tool but I did not like needing both hands just to open the thing so it went in the console of the truck as “backup” and I was back to carrying my Leatherman.
    I decided to give the SOG Pocket Power Plier a try several years ago, carried it exclusively for several years, and used it many times a day. I ended up with a couple of different models of the Leatherman Juice, a KF4 and a S2 which I carried sporadically when not on the job as I was totally satisfied with the SOG PPP there.
    I gave the SOG Power Lock a try, as well as the Leatherman wave.
    After all of this I find that when I seriously expect to need a multitool I still put the SOG PPP on my belt. If I’m wearing bib overalls I might put the Wave or Power Lock in the tool pocket but still usually have the PPP in one of my pockets. If I am going somewhere that I do not want a multitool hanging on my belt I will take either the SOG PPP or the Leatherman S2 in my pocket.
    I could have stopped buying multitools when I got the SOG Pocket Power Plier as even though I have bought several more expensive multi’s , both larger and smaller, it remains my favorite and most used of the whole bunch. If I could only have one the little SOG would be it.
    Guess I should mention that throughout most of this time I usually have had a Leatherman Micra in my pocket also, mostly just for the scissors, which I used on the job for cutting wire ties.

7. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I started carrying a leatherman micra, then a micra and sideclip, then a wave
    Eventually I picked up a swisstool, and that has been my carry multitool for a few years

8. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

I've had a few, but the only ones I liked enough to carry were the Leatherman PST II (my first) and my current carry, my Leatherman Ti Charge.

9. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Started with a Leatherman Pulse, and I did a lot of research before settling on that model. Then I bought the new Wave some time after they were realeased, but didn't like it that much so I sold it and bought a Victorinox Spirit. The Spirit is still my favorite and the one I carry (I don't carry it all the time, e.g. at work I don't).

At some point I have also purchased both Squirt S4 and P4, but can't remember when. Oh, and then I have a few SAKs if they count as multitools.

10. kgking

kgking Empty Pockets

I first used a Gerber multi tool, didn't like how it felt. I was luck enough to be issued a Leatherman,(still have/use it)back in '94. I then stepped up to a Leatherman Supertool in '98 and still carry it to this day. I did break the file off, but the rest of the items are still functioning.

11. m0t0rhead

m0t0rhead Empty Pockets

started with Gerber 400 series compact sport....lost it.
    got a SOG Switchplier...broke it. like after a week.
    I now have a Gerber 600 Scout. kinda heavy but well-equipped.

I am still trying to find the right sheath for my 600. any suggestions???
    (better than the stock gerber sheath)

12. MartinTravels

MartinTravels Empty Pockets

Tinker Swiss Arms Knife (had a fold out pair of small pliers)
    Leatherman Original
    Leatherman Juice
    Gerber Multi Plier
    Leatherman Charge Ti with pocket clip (the ULTIMATE) multitool thus far!

13. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Started At 5 with a schrade version of the SAK classic without the tweezers or the tooth pick.
    Then got a sog multi tool then a leatherman charge ti to a juice xe6, to a skeletool to a Blast. And as of now a SAK classic. I am going minimalist. I always have tools around at home or at work so I just carry the SAK now.

14. Doug S

Doug S Empty Pockets

Started out with one of the old Gerbers, back in the mid-90s. Liked it and used it a lot until I lost it in about 2002. From there I purchased a SOG Powerlock. Then I went on a Leatherman binge with the purchase of several Waves, a Crunch, a Blast, a Micra, Squirt P4, and probably some others that I'm not thinking about. Liked all of the previously mentioned multitools, but today (since 2007), I've been carrying a SAK of some sort or another. Prefer the Swisschamp to all of the above.

15. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

My first multitool, like many, was a SAK. I bought a Gerber when then were introduced years ago and went through that whole love/hate thing due to the versatility of the tool and its tendency to pinch the expletive out of ones hand. Later I picked up a Gerber 600 and Leatherman original. Handy as they were I sought something smaller and more suitable for office type carry which led me to a Leatherman Micra followed up by a Schrade Chip, a Seber Tool, SOG Crossgrip & Crosscut, SwissTech and Leatherman Squirt P4 & S4. I now pack a SOG Powerlock in my BOB and either a Squirt or Crossgrip in my pocket. I lost the Micra as well as several replacements, but still have all of them including the old hand biting Gerber.

I will most likely end up adding a Leatherman Charge TTi due to my fondness for S30v and all things titanium, but if someone comes out with a mini-tool with a decent blade and/or titanium handle I will be all over that.

16. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

current EDC tool is the Skeletool. The Skeletool lives in my bag and comes out at work.
    I own PST, Kick, new Wave, Micra, as well as the Skeletool.
    I collect SAKs, and have a fairly large collection of them, mostly Alox. I EDC a Farmer.

17. hungry hunter

hungry hunter Loaded Pockets

My first multitool was a Gerber multipiler (early '90's). It was the "needle nose" style and while crimping a wire connection, one side of the pliers part broke. After mending the resulting wounds and hurt feelings, I purchased one with the regular pliers. About 5-6 years ago I bought a Leatherman Wave and will never go back. Although the Gerber still rides in my fire gear.

18. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, May 27, 2012
  19. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Here is the list of my main EDC multis user history
    ---------------
    SAK 1980 - 1989
    LM PST 1989 - 1992
    Gerber Multiplier 1992 - 1998
    LM Wave (old style) 1998 - 2004
    LM Charge Ti 2004 - current

I upgraded when new models came out that seemed to be better designs.

I've picked up the following multis as supplementals
    --------------
    LM Micra 1998
    LM SuperTool 200 2001
    LM Juice 2003
    LM Surge 2005
    LM Crunch 2007
    LM Vista 2007

20. StorminMormon

StorminMormon Empty Pockets

1st and only: Leatherman Charge TTi

Looking to buy a Gerber (don't know the model name) that has a bit of a "spring-loaded" grip to the pliers. Multi-tools are like knives - you can never have too many, so I'm looking to add to my collection. But I certainly do love my Charge TTi !