1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your ideal pocket edc weight?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by dmattaponi, Jun 11, 2021.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

What do you consider your ideal pocket edc weight? What is your pocket(s) weight limit in terms of reasonable comfort and ease of carry/daily activity functioning/mobility?

Right now I have 4 different pocket carry assemblages ranging from 9 to 11oz. I could lighten these a bit, say by 2 or 3 ounces, but not without compromising what I like to have available edc wise. The most weighty items are multitools, either pliers based or SAK (or a combination thereof).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1 dmattaponi, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Nathaniel Whiteinge likes this.
  2. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

I often carry a Buck 112 in my pocket and at just over 6 oz is about my limit in size and weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GRH and dmattaponi like this.
  3. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

The ideal weight is zero

Everything else is a best fit compromise.

I've never weighed my EDC before, it's not really that interesting of a metric, as I doesn't really tell the whole story of how comfortably an item carries.
    Anyway, I sacrificed myself and my time in the name of science.

[​IMG]

This is my basic "kit". The knife is in rotation with a few others, the rest is quite static. 155 grams = 5.5 oz
    These days I also carry a face mask most of the time. It adds 4 grams.
    Phone is with me 95-ish % of the time, and adds 214 grams.

So base weight with phone, face mask et all: 373 grams / 13.2 oz.

I don't always carry a pen, but if I do, it would usually be the short Urban survival gear Ti @ 20 grams / 0.7 oz

If I go wild and carry both a pen and a large knife (BM Bugout is as large as I would go for urban EDC), I'm at 209 grams / 7.4 oz w/o phone and 423 grams / 14.9 oz w/ phone.

I've never been a big fan of stuffed pockets, and I feel I've found a good compromise, but with the phone accounting for more than 50% of the weight, even when I go maximal on my other items, there's only so much I can do with regards to the total weight.

9 oz sounds impressive though.

jag-engr and twin63 like this.
  4. dmattaponi

Haha, I hear you about the ideal weight and best fit compromise! I also appreciate you taking the time to better scientific knowledge (and share your info). The only issue I have with what you’ve written is the fact that it reminded me that I didn’t include my phone in my numbers above .

Oh, and I like your point on the “story of how comfortably an item carries”. That is an important consideration regardless of the numbers.

jag-engr, GRH and aicolainen like this.
  5. dmattaponi

[​IMG]
    Approximately 10.5oz and fairly minimal IMO, and not including the phone used to take the picture. Heaviest item is the multitool at 5.2oz.

#5 dmattaponi, Jun 11, 2021
    GRH, twin63 and Mabrowns like this.
  6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

You seem to be straight up obsessed with this topic to me?

It sure does not matter to me at all but it is just so curious at the same time to me?

I choose my stuff to do a job and none of the details ever even cross my mind unless I find something that seems to do the job better.

I dont have a scale and would never use it for this if I did.

7. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

"obsessed"?

dmattaponi likes this.
  8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

?

9. dmattaponi

Haha…you seem “obsessed” with expressing yourself and commenting in threads in which evidently you have no real interest. Maybe your “scale” is more a measure of perceived superiority. Weight is the topic here. Feel free to move on and find a topic more suited to your thoughts/interests.

Edit to add- by the way I don’t have a scale either, but this type of info is available in the specs when purchasing items. Maybe I’m obsessed with reading, and maybe you are fortunate to be in a position where you don’t need consider things like weight. I’ve noticed it is often the fortunate ones who have no capacity to see beyond their own noses and empathize with others who may be dealing with their own set of circumstances. Sometimes things aren’t quite as overly simple as one might think. I do my best to keep that in mind when dealing with others (and possibly the unspoken)…even on the forums. For instance, something that I’ve not mentioned here (or on any of the forums) before (because I’m still struggling with my own vanity) is that in the summer of 2018, I had an accident that caused me to require a wheelchair. Being in a wheelchair requires one to think and consider things like weight and what they can carry and where. Little things like weight, become bigger things than they were back when I could carry what I want, where I want and how I want without much of any other consideration. Not to mention that event was aggravated further by the fact that I had been born with Spina Bifida and club feet which had already come with some limitations of their own. Make no mistake, I’m not looking for your sympathy, empathy, or even your understanding. In fact I’ll probably regret sharing it later, but since you’ve done this sort of thing in more than one of my posts, I couldn’t resist a possible teaching moment and if a teaching moment is too much to ask, then at least I wanted to point out that sometimes there is more to a topic than may meet your seemingly narrow focused “I”…coughing…I mean “eye”.

#9 dmattaponi, Jun 11, 2021
    Nathaniel Whiteinge, GRH and kukla like this.
  10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

It was hardly my intent to be judgemental really and I apologize if that is how you read it.

I just have observed that you are always trying to zero in on some elusive ideal and I amnot in that same exact boat.

Again not how I intended to come across.

11. dmattaponi

I appreciate the understanding response, and yes, I definitely do enjoy getting into some of the details and ideals. It’s fun to me.

kukla likes this.
  12. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

This is as much as I'll carry.
    Most days I don't even wear the watch.
    [​IMG]
    And if I have to go lighter, I have a smaller knife and light.
    [​IMG]

dmattaponi likes this.
  13. Rathbone

Rathbone Loaded Pockets

I'll freely admit to being a "pockets" guy but I too dislike the "bulging pocket" scenario. Weight isn't a primary consideration but I know I'm going to carry my keys so what can I also attach to those? (in my case, Countycomm small crosshead and flat head and homemade pry bar).
    I'm shortly going to get a new keychain torch for winter but am considering wearing it with a lanyard around my neck with my id card just to keep the keys a managable size.

It's the modern phones that cause problems as at one period in time they were getting smaller but now the demand for 'net, games and films means making screens larger and more prone to damage if carrying something in the same pocket.

twin63 and dmattaponi like this.
  14. dmattaponi

Smaller phones would be great.

twin63 likes this.
  15. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

I can't say as I have really given any thought to the total weight of my carry before... I will say that, in the face of the "lighter is better" mentality that a lot of people have, I tend to prefer items that are on the heavy side, so my carry may be a little more substantial than most.
    With a little internet research, the grand total comes in at 43.11oz. That does not include certain things like a silicone ring and a Skinth. So maybe 45-46 give or take.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

dmattaponi likes this.
  16. dmattaponi

Thanks for sharing.

TheGremlin likes this.
  17. Nathaniel Whiteinge

Nathaniel Whiteinge Loaded Pockets

Great topic. It's interesting to read how other people think about this (or not). I pay a lot of attention to weight (and bulk) too. If a thing is at all annoying to carry every day eventually I'll stop carrying it so I'm pretty choosy to only things that I use very frequently or are very small.

I exclusively front-pocket carry and often in khakis so weight and bulge gets annoying quickly. I've replaced most of my keys with aluminum duplicates to try and whittle that down even more -- it's a little thing but together it's noticeable. I have a couple levels of bags ranging from little tools that didn't make the on-person cut, to first aid, to an overnight bag, to my computer bag (jacket, hat, umbrella), to a car kit with much heavier stuff and I usually have whatever level is appropriate near enough that it's not a burden to grab. Because of that my on-person carry is either stuff I use mostly every day or stuff I'd want in a bad but temporary situation.

I don't have a scale to measure exactly but excepting keys & keychain I'm probably around 8.7 oz in my right pocket (keys & tools), and probably around the same in my left (phone & wallet). The indispensable are keys, flashlight, SAK, pliers, phone, wallet. The nice-to-have are full-size screwdriver & bits, pen, mini pry bar. Honestly, that 8.7 oz is a bit too much weight and I'm experimenting with ways to pocket the weight more comfortably (1, 2, (3 on the way)), but if not I'll go without the nice-to-haves since I'm never farther than 2-3 minutes away from my main bag or my car.

It's interesting (to me) that with experiment #2 (linked above) I have a pocket-carry or belt-carry option with the same case and slightly too much pocket-weight equates to (effectively) zero belt-weight. It just completely disappears except when I jostle it by accident or when sitting down. I haven't experimented with belt-carry almost at all but it seems the key is to keep it as flat and close to the body as possible, maybe even tucked under the belt, over the pants? I'm not sure it's for me but perhaps worth more trial-and-error.

dmattaponi and twin63 like this.
  18. dmattaponi

It sure is a challenge. I appreciate you contributing to this online “thought process”.

19. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

6.02567145 ounces.

dmattaponi likes this.
  20. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

That's darn near 3 pounds of stuff a person would practically NEVER need! :eek::frantic::frantic:

TheGremlin likes this.