1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your first knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bernardo, May 14, 2010.

1. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

My first pocket knife was a Barlow. Unfortunately I don't have it anymore.

2. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Mine was a Victorinox Huntsman, given to me for my birthday by my parents after I joined the scouts.

Still have it today, though I did get myself an OHGAK to replace it last year for camping.

3. Byrd2000

Byrd2000 Loaded Pockets

I had a few SAKs when I was younger, but my first knife was a Benchmade Instigator that I bought for myself.

4. kit

kit Loaded Pockets

My first was a monster with a fork and spoon that was my dad's when he was a kid. I believe he gave it tome when I was in second grade. My brother got an identical one that was my dad's twin brothers. I need to ask the experts here about restoring it. It has always been rusted and I'd like to do some rehab. That might be worthy of a new thread when I'm ready. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

I've lost lots of knives over the years. I'm ADD and somewhat forgetful. I know a had a few SAKs, and quite a few small folders. Lost a few to airport security. I have managed to hold onto a few: a SAK that a friend's folks gave me for high school graduation (1991) and a Blackhawk I found on top of a snowy peak in New Hampshire. I should post a pic of that one, too. It's so big I have never really carried it.

- Kit

5. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

Small Opinel at about 8.

6. attorneyadrian

attorneyadrian Loaded Pockets

Vic Explorer. Sadly, its been lost to the ages.

7. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

a buck 110 or a sak alox soldier, I cant remember which came first. Both were eventually lost in the woods somewhere. I just ordered an alox farmer because this thread reminded me how much I liked that sak.

8. Pointman

Pointman Loaded Pockets

Mine was an old Gerber Boot knife back in the 1980's (possible late 80's to early 90's) I remember feeling like a million bucks among my friends with it when most had boy scout knives (not that there is anything wrong with them), but a boot knife just had this level of cool back in those days.

9. Maxfull

Maxfull Empty Pockets

Opinel n°6

10. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

SAK classic by Wenger, I was 5 years old. Unfortunately I lost it, but that knife is definitely responsible for starting the addiction, that and drooling over SMKW catalogs.

11. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

My first one was self-made knife from a piece of metal I found on the streets and a duct-tape as a handle. I've sharpened it on some flat rock, was about 6-7 back then.
    Next day after manufacturing this monster I managed to cut myself with this knife really bad, and, after recovery and long lecture on knife safety, I was presented with some sort of soviet-made slipjoint folder.

Never lost interest in knives ever since.

12. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

my first, which was only about 7 years ago, was a chinese made SAK-alike.
    it managed maybe 2 years before it completely fell apart.

13. J.Miracle

J.Miracle Empty Pockets

14. daundu

daundu Empty Pockets

Vic Classic. I was six.

15. kaotick

kaotick BST/Marketplace ban

some cheapo fake extremaratio knife

16. mikep

mikep Empty Pockets

First I can remember was an Opinel bought from Sportmart in the mid 80's. The blade is stained, I broke off the tip, but I still have the knife.
    [​IMG]

17. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

First knife was a tiny little Sheffield made 2 blade penknife which was originally my Grandfathers, I got it when I was about 10 - approx 5 years after he passed on. That has been lost and found more times than I could possibly remember. Last time I lost it was about 3 or 4 years ago - still waiting for it to reappear. I have since bought a couple of replacements - one of which if rosewood with brass bolsters, the other is faux pearl from a company which ceased trading in the late 60's I believe (John Watts & Co). Would still like to find my Grandfathers knife one day though.

For knife number two I was given a Sheffield made sheepsfoot in carbon steel by a friend who worked in the cutlery trade back in my early 20's which I still have. I've since bought about a dozen other Sheffield blades of various types so it doesn't feel lonely ;-) That said, it still makes it into the carry rotation.

First knife I ever actually bought, was a cheap Chinese combi-edged liner lock, back before I really knew much about knives (now I dont tend to use locking knives or combi edge). Doesn't see much use these days - the last time it can out of the cupboard I was quite amused at how cheap and cheesy it seemed, though I couldn't part with it.

First fixed blade was a 8" Spanish Andujar Bowie in rosewood & brass which got claimed by the floods of 2007 - since replaced with a stag handled Muela Jabali. The Andujar was a very reliable knife for me, and despite only being 420 stainless it did everything I asked it to - including helping carving frames for portholes, fitting doors and buildiing a shed, alongside "normal" cutting chores of course.

It all grew from there really as I discovered Boker, Case, Iisakki Javenpaa, Brusletto, Cold Steel etc etc etc.

I still favour the slipjoints and puukkos though as my prefered knives

18. pseep

pseep Loaded Pockets

The first knife I can clearly remember was a generic lockback, I think it was probably a knockoff of a case mako, came with a tan leather belt sheath. I bought it in a gift shop when on a family vacation, I was probably middle school age. It is funny how even way back then (30+ years) my buying went in grouping of similar styles; another early knife I can remember after that was a Schrade Bear Paw lockback.

19. Splice

Splice Loaded Pockets

first knife was a SAK with some funky orange and blue coloring on it that made it look like a rubber band ball. After that, years later, was a CCC silver-handled balisong. First REAL knife was a Benchmade 42

20. Vae-Victus

Vae-Victus Empty Pockets

I guess it counts as a Knife lol, it had a blade on it! I think I remember my first being a really basic Leatherman tool when I was about 7 yrs old, I remember it didn't have that many functions but I loved it.....sadly I don't have it anymore. I guess I must have lost it :(