1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your first EDC

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Rawls, Nov 5, 2008.

1. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

2. gern_blanston

gern_blanston Loaded Pockets

A Parker 25 ballpoint pen and an old keychain screwdriver, both of which i found while riding my bicycle in my younger days.
    And I LOVED Kolchack the night stalker!!!!!

3. jamez_916

jamez_916 Empty Pockets

the rule in my family was that you had to be 10 before you could carry a knife.
    i remember the christmas after i turned 10 my dad gave me a small black Schrade folder.
    i proudly presented it to my great grandfather for approval and he remarked with a wink "don't get caught with that thing at school!"

i loved it so much, but being the forgetful little guy i was, i often would leave it in my pants pocket and have to go beg my dad to give it back after he had rescued it from the washing machine.

4. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

My first EDC was a small locking blade knife that you had to squeeze the sides to release the lock. I think I was 5. I lost it about 6 months later and my dad gave me a small two blade knock off of a Schrade. Being on the farm, you needed a knife to cut twine and the like. Have carried at least one knife everyday since. If I go to a courthouse for anything, the knife goes in the glove box until I get back outside.

5. roof_top_eagle

roof_top_eagle Empty Pockets

I was about 16. I saved money from delivering papers and bought a Victorinox Swisstool I carried that thing until I was 22 and lost it when I missed my sheath and put it on the ground. I only noticed when I went to use it at work and no one would fess up to having it. That thing was a constant companion, even at school, I kept it in my backpack because I had afternoon co-ops and spent most of my time at a golf course doing groundskeeping. It came in handy to cut wire, weedwhacker wire and many other cutting tasks.

6. oronocova

oronocova Loaded Pockets

First knife I remember carrying was a SAK one of the big names it had a leather sheath with button closure. Sadly I lost the knife, I remember that from a long time ago... and now the sheath is long gone. I have always liked/carried a knife or pocket tools in general.

7. TCW 60

TCW 60 Loaded Pockets

Around ten years I got my first "Taschenmesser" a simple pocketknife. I kept it proud and sharpened it well.

8. Misanthropic_Gods

Misanthropic_Gods Loaded Pockets

My first EDC was a watch and my cub scouts knife that other people have talked about..i totally forgot about it until i saw some of those pics...man..the memories.

9. dixie_amazon

dixie_amazon Empty Pockets

A watch , a Girl Scout knife and a hoof pick.

These days I would have been suspended from school.

10. UrbanEDC

UrbanEDC Loaded Pockets

When I was 11 my mom gave my a Victorinox Deluxe Tinker to use in Boyscouts.

I still have it after all these years, and even though it has been heavily used, Victorinox
    still took it back and fixed it up for me.

Took 2 months, but now it's as good as new. They replaced the scales, scissors, and
    resharpened everything.

I still EDC it today.

11. Nex~gen

Nex~gen Empty Pockets

My fist edc was a SAK that my dad gave me when i was about 10.

12. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

I can't believe I missed this thread. Good stuff. Here's my story:

I was always fascinated by pocket knives when I was little and when I finally received my very own (a small wood handled, single-blade slipjoint) I was ecstatic. I was about 8 or 9 at the time and I whittled and cut things to my heart's content, however, I was careless at first and ended up with a nice gash in my leg when whittling while sitting on the ground. From that point on I realized I needed to treat these knives, not as toys (no matter how overjoyed I was to receive one), but as tools.

I've managed to dodge the bullet a few times since then while using my pocket knives, however, even being cautious doesn't ensure safety and my Spyderco Mini-Manix really bit me a couple years ago, one of the worst I've seen from a pocket knife. However, it's since healed and now presents a good conversation starter and also a reminder that knives are tools, not toys, and no matter how much you grow up, nor how careful you are, one slip can still make you feel like that inexperienced kid whittling on the ground without a care in the world. I like to think I've learned from those slips, but I'm sure I'll have to learn some more one of these days.

Heath

13. macman37

macman37 Empty Pockets

VERY first was a cheapo Buck knockoff with wooden handle. I had it as a 13 or so year old, and lost it over the years. Wouldn't hold an edge for anything.

I fell in love the first time I saw a Spyderco Delica in the last 80s (IIRC) though. I have 3 of them in various configurations, and love them all.

14. BeyondTaboo

BeyondTaboo Empty Pockets

:lolhammer: "James Bond Knife" it is, found it in my Uncles shop and he said keep it, Grandad gave me a Buck lockback knofe with a sheath, I have had a knife on me every day since I was 5. South Georgia demands that you carry a knife. I just upgraded from a SOG Flash II to a BM Vex tanto PE ;D.

15. TCW 60

TCW 60 Loaded Pockets

My daughter get last year 10 years old her first SAK. I went with her into a store to let her choose the model she want. The saleslady looks with big eyes as she give me the knives to choose and I told her to give the knives to my daughter as she gets one.

16. swlman

swlman Empty Pockets

I just joined this group today as a matter of fact and could not resist this question. My first EDC was a Case Sodbuster Jr., single bladed, CS, about 2 3/4 inches long. I carried it for years. God knows where it is today. Some of the replies were really fun to read and some brought back some good memories. One story for all of you. I taught school in a small town in eastern Oklahoma for 16 years and during deer season, a real big event there every year, it was not at all uncommon for the school parking lot to be full of pickups with gun racks in them. None of the racks were empty. There was everything from shotguns, to 30-30's, 30-06's and other calibers to numerous to mention. The hunters, all students walked into class still in hunting clothes as they had been in the woods since first light. This included an array of hunting knives--of all sizes--from practical to "super Rambo." Teachers and Principals never said a word or thought a thing about it. Go figure.

17. Kritter

Kritter Empty Pockets

My first edc was an Old Timer three bladed pocket knife that was given to me by my great-grandfather while we were out fishing on the creek on his ranch one day. I had caught a snapping turtle, and when he saw it, he told me to cut it's head off, and throw it up the bank, he'd show me how to make soup later.
    He was shocked to find out that i didn't have a pocket knife, so he pulled out that old timer, and showed my how to stretch out the neck, and take the head off cleanly. He then folded that knife up and handed it to me, not saying another word.
    Later on, when my mother found out, she just about had a coronary, but wasn't about to argue with the old man, he just looked down at her and told me a boy my age needed a knife for "... just i case..."
    I still fish in that creek, run cattle on that ranch, and after 30+ years, still have that knife. I don't carry it any more, I'm waiting for a son of my own, or maybe just a nephew, another up-and-comer to take custody of it.
    You know, just in case!

18. misterdirk

misterdirk Loaded Pockets

To the best of my recollection, my first was a slender little 2-bladed folding pocket knife that my Grandpa gave me. I was about 7 years old, and he set me up with the basic instructions to use the knife safely. It had a lovely pearlescent handle that dazzled me as much or more than the blades. Grandpa called it a penknife, and showed me how to whittle a porcupine's quill to make a dip pen. I still do that once in a while, just for nostalgia's sake. I lost that little knife a long time ago, but I've carried some sort of little folding blade in my pocket ever since. And I almost always sharpen my pencils that way, because I like a longer tip than most sharpeners provide.

19. vinn

vinn Empty Pockets

My first EDC when i'm a kid was a AAA M@g and a cheap chinese folding penknife.

20. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

My grandfather gave me my first pocket knife around 5-6. It was right after he took me fishing for the first time. He taught me to always cut away from the body and to never walk around with the blade open. Right after that he showed me how to use it to clean and gut a fish. I still have it.... I hope.