1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your favorite SAK.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Monocrom, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Mine used to be the Vic Spartan. However, I recently realized that if I carry a SAK as my main knife, it has to have scissors and be the same size as my Spartan; as well as being just as thin.

Found it! Just a little while ago actually. The Victorinox Compact. (What an ironic name, but unlike many SAK names, this one is appropriate.)

Large knife blade, combination bottle/can-opener blade w/ screwdriver tip, scissors, carry-hook and corkscrew on back w/ eyeglass screwdriver attached to it. As well as the usual "tools" that insert into the handles.

Looks like a winner. You trade away the smaller blade and the awl on the Spartan in exchange for the scissors. I can live with one blade on my EDC SAK. An awl is nice for punching extra holes into a belt. But not a very common use for me. In fact, haven't used the awl on my Spartan since owning it. The combo tool on the Compact is not as good as the dedicated can-opener, and bottle-opener on the Spartan. But I have experience with this tool on my Vic Waiter/Bartender model. For urban EDC, it gets the job done for both bottles and cans. Plus, you still keep both the large and tiny slotted screwdrivers. But in a slightly different format.

So tell us about your favorite SAK.

2. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

Vic Alox Soldier has been my favorite so far. Just feels right...

3. Atlas

Atlas Loaded Pockets

A while back I managed to find a few red alox pioneers for 15 dollars each. I like the overall size of the knife blade and handles. Feels alot more solid than the tinker I had for months.

4. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

I agree about the Compact, my favourite SAK for sure (although like everyone else I do like a spot of coloured Alox). On an individual level though my fifteen year-old Huntsman with yew scales takes some beating.

5. RedGladius

RedGladius Loaded Pockets

I love the Compact! I hadn't heard of it until I read the your thread here! But I do see one problem with it, which, in my mind, keeps it from being perfect: the cork screw. I never use it. Few people do. That's why my favorite is the Super Tinker. It replaces the cork screw with a Philips head screwdriver, which is much more universally-useful! Also, the Fieldmaster is another favorite. It's essentially a Super Tinker with an added saw!

6. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Loaded Pockets

For years my only knife was a Vic Super Tinker. It had everything I needed for my day to day life (and then some). But while comfortable with jeans, it's a bit bulky in slacks. As I spend way too much time at work, I now usually carry an alox Cadet to the office. The Super Tinker still makes it into my weekend rotation with a few other knives. That Compact looks pretty nice. May have to pick one up.

7. mikey

mikey Banned

I also liked the Super Tinker but now I use the Wenger Teton because I wanted a serrated and plain blade plus tools like the Super Tinker. My favorite keychain one hands down is the Rambler with alox handles.

[​IMG]

8. Hellz

Hellz Loaded Pockets

Alox Soldier for me too, when I got it I wished it had a small blade instead of the awl, but it turns out the awl is really useful. The alox makes it feel like more of a substantial EDC option too.

Patrick

9. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

For me there isn't only one.... It depends where I go....

Agreed for Compact as minimalistic, but Alox Soldier is also in rotation, then there is Explorer, Yeoman and as "do it all" I carry CyberTool41.....

They all are great, but those are my favorites.

10. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I love the Executive. The orange peeler with the serrated blade gets used more than anything. The mini champ is a close second.

11. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

But if I didn't have a corkscrew how would I carry my little spectacle screwdriver? ;D

12. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

The one I never leave home without is an Alox Rambler on my keys, but I have LOTS of others I get plenty of use out of.

Other than standard ones, I have a couple of customs which I'm extremely fond of. Both were made my Neil over at MTO ;D

[​IMG]

The other one is a copper cadet with scissors and a saw - can't find a pic right now.

13. Mobuse

Mobuse Loaded Pockets

14. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

Yep Nuph... That's a :drool: one!!

15. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Just found pics of afore mentioned SAK:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

I agree, that's awesome!

17. waldo

waldo Loaded Pockets

Classic on my keychain and usually a 2010 Soldier, but I have a Farmer on the way.

18. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Loaded Pockets

The Victorinox Swiss Champ has always been my favorite. I have had mine for at least 20 years and have used it for EVERYTHING. It has never let me down. Have a few scars from the sharp blades over the years....lol. Mine has the red handle. I only ever replaced the scissors spring One time because it broke. Its still in excellent condition and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it to anyone.

19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Magnifier can be used to start a fire under dry conditions on a sunny day.

20. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I got a few favorites but if I got to pick one it's the Victorinox Farmer I bought to carry on my wedding day.
    My favorite one to use in my edc is the Wenger Zermatt
    And my favorite one to have close just in case is the swisschamp that rides in my bag.

I like the Evo 18 too :)

I can't pick just one;)
    [​IMG] Wenger Zermatt