1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your favorite gloves?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by SAKplumber, Apr 19, 2013.

1. pipey

pipey Loaded Pockets

Im trying to find out what these gloves are like for warmth and size. I currently have original in covert black. But wonder if i msy have to go up a size due to them being lined and as im only able to get hold of them via mail order i dont really want to get small and med and end up sending one pair back.

2. Lannister
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lannister Loaded Pockets

I do not have these particular Mechanix gloves, but I have a few different models and I never had to switch sizes.
    I cannot link to the mechanic site, but they have a printable sizing chart on the NA site. (click the link on the left side under add to cart)

3. pipey

pipey Loaded Pockets

See i think thst as im small in the covert original then should be same size in the insulated. May il just order small and med and see which fits better. Thank for the info anyway lannister.

4. holygoat

holygoat Loaded Pockets

I have the following:
    • Original, Coyote (MG-72-009): Medium (9)
    • FastFit, Black (MFF-05-009): Medium (9)
    • FastFit Insulated Glove Black/Blue (MCW-FF-008): Small (8)
    • Zone 2 Cold Weather Glove, Black/Grey (MCW2-08-010): Large (10)
    The Original and FastFit fit perfectly.

The insulated MCW-FF is a little loose, despite being a whole size lower. (It would fit a liner glove.) I don't know why the sizing is so different for this glove; the Medium would be gigantic.

The Cold Weather Glove is also a little loose, but not much — again, a thin liner fits great. A Medium would probably be snug.

The Cold Weather Glove definitely sucks in terms of dexterity when compared to the non-insulated gloves; in fact, because of the seams on the Mechanix, and the better fit of the Geiers, I find my wool-lined Geier gloves to be better for working in real cold — and they're much warmer to boot.

The palm on the insulated gloves is some kind of grippy plastic, not the synthetic leather of the original. The original gloves are barely noticeable when working; not so the insulated.

The Cold Weather Glove is a tough fleece upper and a stitched, multi-layer soft-touch plastic palm.

The insulated and cold weather gloves, IMO, are better for handling hot racecar wheels, rather than prolonged working in the cold. In those circumstances I'd rather wear regular FastFits and try to keep my core temperature up, go whole-hog to insulated leather gloves, or find some solution involving mittens/sniper gloves. Their only advantages over leather gloves are their lower price and grippier palms.

I just did a quick pseudo-experiment, tightly grabbing some cold frozen meat out of my freezer. "Time until noticeable palm chill": Original = 3 or 4 seconds, insulated = 8 or 10 seconds, Cold Weather Glove = 10 or 12 seconds.

I keep the Cold Weather Glove in the trunk of my car, along with some generic plasti-dipped gloves, in case I need to change a wheel in 0° weather. The Originals live in my tool bag. The Insulateds live in my garage; I used them today to put my snow tires on, both with the garage door closed (50-60°F inside) and with it open and rain/snowing (36-40°F) outside. That should give you an idea of the comfortable temperature range.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  5. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

I have the ones they call "fleece utility". Very warm, soft and comfortable! Good grip. Been wearing them for about a month for wood cutting, and hauling. I would say they are sized a little smaller than average. I have pretty small hands, but I couldn't get these in Small, I had to get Large; but the Large fits me like a Medium does in most other gloves; too big, but functional.

But all my other Mechanix gloves have seemed sized right, in the Small size.

Good luck!

6. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just select 'unlink' and remove the www stuff in front of the link and you are good to go :)

7. Lannister
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lannister Loaded Pockets

^^^^Thanks

8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

So I had to replace the gloves that I gave up to working in. EDC bag gloves from a big blue home improvement store, almost identical to the pair in the OP.

[​IMG]

Last edited by SAKplumber, Nov 22, 2013
  9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Wow! What a blurry pic:p

10. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

But it looked good on the phone huh? :)

Hate it when that happens!

SAKplumber likes this.
  11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Exactly:rolleyes:

12. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

BTW what are they? Vinyl/rubberized fingers/palms?

13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yup. Nitrile I think. Just the palm side. The back is a knit that helps them dry out easily when I get wet, but the grip is great and yet not to think that they feel weird

jrandom likes this.
  14. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

Youngstown waterproof winter gauntlet xt gloves, so I was in South Dakota and it was -38 degrees. I had to work outside for an hour and the gloves are amazing, I can't say my hands were warm but they were far from being frostbit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The model I have doesn't seem to be in there current lineup.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

15. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

Those are pretty sweet too! Warm work gloves bonus :)

I have yet to find any "fingered" gloves that keep your hands and fingers toasty at -38~, tolerable yes but not comfy cozy, I have tried a lot of gloves, all types all prices, somewhere I am sure there is a pair... LOL and I bet they take batteries!

swany66675 likes this.
  16. micahtbyrd

micahtbyrd Loaded Pockets

Another youngstown fan here... I use the pro xt for general use. They are a great single layer reinforced glove and work well for 3 season wear with out giving up the abilty to manipulate items with gloves on. They offer nice warmth and protection without bulk and secure Velcro closure... I buy these by the box they are that good...

[​IMG]

Nick4305, jrandom and swany66675 like this.
  17. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sometimes these are my favorite gloves:p

[​IMG]

18. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

… when you rummage through mouse feces and saw dust? :p ;)

19. Tx_Mark

Tx_Mark Loaded Pockets

My work gives these out for free, I love them, but I have been using mechanics gloves.

My EDC thread!! http://edcforums.com/index.php?threads/Tx_Mark%27s-EDC.116418/

SAKplumber likes this.
  20. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus