1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your favorite gloves?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by SAKplumber, Apr 19, 2013.

1. lowindo

lowindo Loaded Pockets

I Edc these, mostly at work, but they are great for all around work gloves. I do Hazmat, mostly paint and oil. So I go through 2-3 pairs a week. Galeton - Grippit

Pretty much always have a pair on my belt. Not dangling, but folded in half and held tight with an elastic loop.

2. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

3. valhalla

valhalla Loaded Pockets

I used to use Mecs when doing home remodeling but since my current employer supplies gloves daily I've decided Magic brand D-Roc gloves are the most versatile gloves I've ever used. Work, home, auto...love em.

4. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

Ski, Shoot, Clean :) (have a few more depending on the chore)

[​IMG]

SAKplumber likes this.
  5. InMused

InMused Loaded Pockets

Have to agree with you there. I use something similar here in oz. No point having hi protection gloves that have no grip.

6. The British Are Coming

The British Are Coming Loaded Pockets

I bought a pair of fingerless gloves with a fold over mitten from Decathlon (a sporting goods store in Europe), they're absolutely awesome! Nice and warm, especially with the mitten bit in use, but with the option to have my fingers usable for those tasks need some dexterity. Best gloves I've ever had. Only down side is they're a fleece type material, so can get wet.

7. LogicBob

LogicBob Loaded Pockets

Obviously it depends on the task at hand, but I almost always keep a pair of these in my EDC bag. The grip is outstanding with them!
    Carhartt Men's C-Grip Pro-Palm High Dexterity Vibration Reducing Glove

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sriracha, SAKplumber and jrandom like this.
  8. P185Renegade

P185Renegade Loaded Pockets

for cold conditions, this past fall I bought a pair of ironclad tundra gloves, warm and waterproof working outside in 0 degree south Dakota winters, kinda spendy, but still in good shape and will probably last another winter. for warmer occasions I usually wear all leather driver gloves, or a pair of mechanix impact gloves. seems like I go thru about a pair of gloves a month, no matter if I spend $10 or if I spend $50 on em. If I don't wear em out, I lose them. lol.

9. filjos

filjos Loaded Pockets

• hotlinked image removed
    http://www.mechanix.com/cg-impact-pro-glove

I love these. They have held up very well to a lot of hard use. I only had to replace my first pair after several years because I lost one.

They have the best fit I've ever found for my hands, are light weight, they breath well but have the protection of leather where its most needed. And they are so comfortable, I could wear them all day.

Sriracha likes this.
  10. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I haven't found the perfect pair of gloves yet, but I prefer synthetic mechanic's gloves with goatskin palms and fingers. I use them for all sorts of chores, but they also serve as anti contact gloves on really cold winter days. I wear a pair underneath my fleece lined GoreTex mittens. That way, I can take off the mittens when I need to manipulate ski bindings, pulk harnesses, cooking stoves or even a camera. Mechanix gloves are not very warm, but in really cold conditions, not having to touch metal directly can save your poor fingers.

The synthetic backing lets your sweat through without getting as cold as cotton, and the goatskin palms will not melt or burn easily if I happen to touch a hot part of a cooking stove.

I normally tear through three or four pairs a year, so if anyone knows a more durable pair that fits my criteria, it would be really great!

11. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I have a fews pairs of the Maxiflex gloves that I got from work.
    They're great gloves with great tactile sensitivity and grip.
    I've also got the 5.11 station gloves, while they're good gloves, they get really slick if they get any oil on them.

12. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

+1 Mechanix impact pro. I also use the disposable types found in construction supply stores with a stretchy fabric body and the palms and fingers are dipped in rubber. Similar to the Carhartt ones above, but much cheaper in price and look. If you cut the finger tips above the rubber/fabric line, it prevents unraveling, and makes great fingerless work gloves. Perfect for climbing up a pole(great grip) and dealing with fiddly wires and fasteners once at the top. The Mechanix sees use mostly in the winter and for rope pulling or dirty work where I might cut/bang up my hands.

13. btownguy

btownguy Loaded Pockets

Hatch Shorty Operators. They have great dexterity, but also are just insulated enough that they work well in cool (not cold) weather. Cold weather I just break down and get wool gloves.

14. jds1

jds1 Loaded Pockets

I always have a pair of Carhartt Fencer Gloves in use and at least one pair in reserve.

Jeff

15. xnyne

xnyne Loaded Pockets

I run these and a few pairs of nitrile disposables in the top of my bag daily. Don't use very often but really comfortable and offer fairly good damage protection (not for warmth)

[​IMG]

Camelbak impact elite

16. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Petzl Cordex (and Cordex Plus) Belay Gloves for me. Copy of the Mechanix gloves, but goat leather, and feels a little more flexible, snugger, and more articulated around the fingers for me.

17. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Wait, wait.... are you saying that the Petzl gloves are a copy of the Mechanix gloves? I would have to disagree with that.

Among others, I own a pair of Mechanix Wear Medium Impact Pro Gloves (H30-05-009) and a pair of Petzl K52 CORDEX Lightweight Gloves and I consider them two totally different animals.

The Mechanix are general/light duty with TPR on parts of the exterior for (very) light impact protection and synthetic leather on the palm and faces of the fingers. On their website, they say "Mechanix Wear makes high performance work gloves for automotive, racing, construction, industrial, safety, gardening, and home improvement."

Meh... The synthetic might be alright for "slow"/light abrasion but shreds fairly easily under hard abrasion and quite literally melts under "fast" abrasion (rope work). When it melts, the synthetic suede goes from having a nap to being shiny/polished and becomes a great conductor for friction heat. I have had it long streaks of 1st degree burns on my palms working with kite lines. Immediately hunted down a pair of Petzls for just that reason.

I have never understood these gloves being marketed to the automotive/industrial market segment where they might come into contact with hot engine parts/machinery. That's just asking for all kinds of trouble.

By comparison, Petzl Cordex/Cordex Plus gloves have goat skin fingers and palms with a double layer of leather along the rope path. The Cordex has a breathable nylon back and the Plus has a combination of leather with small breathable nylon panels. For all out abrasion protection, I might prefer plain vanilla cowhide work gloves, but the Petzl double layer design is ideal suited for rope work while maintaining a very high level of dexterity.

Synthetics and heat are a recipe for bad mojo.

Hence the reason, why I think comparing the two are apples and oranges.

ATB,
    Sam

18. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I should have said "similar to" instead of "copy of" as I'm not sure which came up with this style (leather palm/stretch synthetic back) first, but I believe it was Mechanix. Truth be told, I don't own any Mechanix gloves - just tried them on in stores - but they do have many different models including a number of leather ones.

However, I agree the Petzls are much nicer than any I've seen from Mechanix, and hence the recommendation and my own purchases.

19. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Come to think of it... I like these riding gloves even better than the Petzls, at the same cost, but wouldn't want to waste them on household work :)

[​IMG]

20. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Wouldn't want to waste the riding gloves or the Petzls on household work. Have an inexpensive pair of cowhide gloves on the outside of the bag, that I use for general use.

It really annoys me that the local Lowes/Home Depot/etc. believe in only carrying the lowest tier of the Mechanix product line. The don't have to carry everything, but it would be nice if they had a better selection (in the stores) of good/better/best. "Buy Online/Ship To Store" is not really the same as having them on hand to try on. Hate buying gloves sight unseen (let alone tried on).

ATB,
    Sam