1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your "Eye Opening" Clothing Purchases

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Max., Jan 31, 2015.

1. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Kühl Renegade Rock pants.

2. araziza

araziza Loaded Pockets

Saxx underwear. Changed my life.
    Merino socks, especially the Costco 4pack for best value.
    Banana Republic traveler pants (on sale). Look like Khakis, work friendly, nice professional slim fit, but they’re soft and have stretch for days. Redefined comfort for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. twoisone
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I bought a Cabelas goretex guidewear parka lined with primaloft and it has been a great coat. Waterproof and very warm, extra pockets and inside storage. I’ve been mostly a down man but this has been a great coat.

4. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Merino wool socks. Specifically, the Ascend Hiker Crew wool socks that Bass Pro sells.

All my life I've only worn cotton socks and they've been fine for the most part. Eventually they wear out, yeah, but an 8-pack is cheap enough for how long they last. But they stink. I hate having things on my feet, socks or shoes, preferring to go barefoot whenever and wherever possible. But there are plenty of times that's not an option, so I have to wear socks and shoes/boots, and except for in the coldest winter months that means my feet will sweat and stink.

I knew about merino wool socks for a while, about how they keep your feet cool and dry and somehow magically dont smell even after several days of wear, but never could justify the price. "$15-$30 for ONE pair? That's insane! An 8-pack of cotton socks is $12!" But last year I had a trip coming up that I new would have me walking on concrete for hours at a time: that means shoes with proper inserts, which means socks, which means heat buildup. Ugh. Alright, I'll get one pair to try.

I'll be dam*ed if those socks didn't keep my feet cool, dry, and not smelly after 2 days of wear in the middle of a hot Midwest September. Decided not to push it after that, but in subsequent months I've worn the same pair of socks (though in winter and an office environment) for 4 days straight with no smell. I'm sold. Bought several more.... I think I'm up to 6 pair. Will easily wear them for two days before putting them up to wash.

Merino wool's the shizzle.

5. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

My kid bought a pair of 5.11 Tactical Edge chinos on clearance somewhere without trying them on. They didn't fit.

He asked if I wanted them. I was like, nope. I'm not nearly tactical or operatory enough to wear anything from 5.11. He sent them to me anyway.

I'm a Levi's jean guy 99% of the time. I hate stretchy pants. Pretty much any pants not 100% cotton. I looked the 5.11s over, scoffed at their stretchiness, their absurdly placed and oddly sized pockets, their slim cut. I told the wife they looked like skinny jeans. No way they fit over my boots. It was settled, I hated them.

But the wife insisted I try them on. Holy :censored:! I have never worn pants this comfortable. Ever. And they fit over my boots.

Now I find myself shopping the tacticaliest sites on the interwebz looking for MORE. I do wish they made them without the odd pockets, that I now know are made to hold 30 round PMAGs. Which is not typically a part of my EDC. They do hold my cell phone pretty well, so not a deal breaker.

karlito, garza and GoBliNuke like this.
  6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

For me sadly the ;ast time I bought Carhartt Jeans I found that I need to open my eyes again and start looking for an alternative to the pants that I have loved and relied on for a long,long time?

For some reason they no longer make the version I wear and I will NEVER buy another pair of anything from them again if I can help it.

7. Banzboy

Banzboy Loaded Pockets

Kuhl brand. I have their Burr jacket and Renegade Convertible Pants. Both wear like iron and very well constructed. Sizing runs larger than stated for some reason. I'm a 34x32, but the 32x30 fits perfectly.

Eskerbillion, Captdave13 and Wishoot like this.
  8. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Kuhl Shirts. Not terribly expensive, and have it all. Fit, form, function and fashion (outdoorsy fashion that is).

Teva Hiking Shoes. At around $145 USD, these shoes, with Vibram soles, out preform anything else I've ever had. Side note...Keen is dead to me.

Barbour jackets. Expensive, but built to last forever. Unfortunately, my wife hates the way I look in it.

Filson anything. I've got several items from Filson that have survived the worst I could throw at them.

In a nutshell, buy once, cry once.

Captdave13 and ran23 like this.
  9. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

Carhartt rugged flex pants. I used to hate the thought of stretchy pants, and would often (in my head) make fun of people who would wear them. About three years ago I bought my first pair, and I've been sold ever since. The level of comfort is beyond belief. And now it just doesn't feel right anytime I'm forced to wear anything else.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

10. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

My impression is that 5.11 slim, isn't really all that slim.
    I have the Defender flex slim jeans, and I find them to be too wide. I even ordered a second pair, thinking I might have bought the straight version by mistake the first time around. Nope.
    Use them on the range and such, but wider than I prefer for day to day use.

11. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Which ones did you used to rely on? I just got my first pair quite recently. Not a very common brand around here.
    I've got the stretch duck double front, which are OK, but I think I've read somewhere they are made more for the work wear fashion market, than the traditional work wear segment. Or something...

12. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Duluth Trading Firehouse pants

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

They were Carpenter Jeans with the 15oz denim.
    I have worn them for 20 years or more maybe and they are a lot more rugged and long lasting than the tissue thin versions that are sold there now.
    Maybe they were losing money by making them so tough?

14. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I have the double front jeans. They're 15 oz. denim and pretty hard wearing. I believe that those are still around after a lot of years on the market.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah but the double front are even more heavy than I need.
    Thanks

16. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Neckerchiefs/bandanna/scarves. I have worn one type or another since highscool. Used to buy cheap Chinese bandannas. Tried better printed thicker bandannas that are not that much more expensive if you know where to look like Have-A-Hank (Made in Carolina) The comfort and protection for my neck are way beyond compare. I would now not use the made in china ones for anything beyond blowing my nose. Also they come in a plethora of colours so you can color match with your clothed

I am a person that often get colds and other airways-troubles. This means that i most often use scarves and other textiles throughout the year. So a bandanna is always at the bottom. I then layer scarves over this. Silks, cottons with fancy colours, linnens, merinowool, cashmere, all have their uses. I even bought in an indian internet shop thin and light indian dupatta's for the summer scarves

Some like the bandannas I have in an orderly fashion in a drawer or two and some scarves sorta...pile up.

As with my knives and writing instruments...I have bought too many and and still want more. But without them and with more traditional neck protection I would be sick a lot, so they serve their purpose[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

tera tike and THX2008 like this.
  17. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Y’all will laugh. Bespoke dress shoes about 35 years ago. It’s a night and day difference to regular dress shoes. Not to mention bespoke suits. Same thing. The fit and finish makes such a huge difference.

Austria est imperare orbi universo

18. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

My dad has a pair of handmade dress shoes that belonged to his uncle. His uncle had them made while living in Italy in the 1950s. When the uncle died in the late 1960s, they were passed down to my dad because he was the only one in the family that they fit. Other than being re-soled a couple times, they are good as the day they were made.

19. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

As I got several pairs over the years, mine are between 35 and 10 years old. Most of them got resoled at least once, but only one pair had to go.A “friends” dog killed em and he did not even say sorry. The guy, not the dog. For winter I have a pair of scotch grain, ankle height, with lamb fur lining. Total winner when it comes to company Christmas market outings.
    As I was so taken by that idea, I found me a tailor and got suits. Two of them got to tight for my belly. Now I have only one two piece and one three piece and several shirts. In my job I don’t need to dress up anymore.
    But over all, if you need to dress up for your job it’s a game changer and doesn’t cost you more in the long run. The key is to get timeless stuff.

Austria est imperare orbi universo