1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your "Eye Opening" Clothing Purchases

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Max., Jan 31, 2015.

1. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

L.L. Bean Riverton pants.

babola likes this.
  2. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I found this interesting. Seems like U.S. military clothing has been less than optimal (mostly warmth and bulk wise) for a long time. Nice to know that they've given it a fresh look with more modern materials.

Anyone know how the use of these synthetics go with the desire for clothing materials that don't cause severe burns in the event of an explosion?

3. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

A work colleague of mine owns both the Utility and Cargo versions of the Riverton pants - they are fantastic. Functional, durable, straight low profile cut and they look the part too. Not to mention being reasonably priced.

Makes me so envious as I'm 6.4' guy who wears pants in 36" inseam, unfortunately LL Bean doesn't make them in that length :(

Shike likes this.
  4. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

I have two pairs in the utility style. They are everything you described. I compared them to the Prana, The Toad Co. and a couple of others and $$$ aside I liked them better. Sorry about the length thing, I guess being vertically challenged like me (32 inseam) has some advantages :)

5. Haxquiz

Haxquiz Empty Pockets

For me it's hands down for Meindl shoes.
    German quality shoes made with gore-tex and nubuck leather.
    Awesome shoes, expensive, but definitely build to last!

6. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

Swanndri bush shirts....... after loosing several polar fleece jackets to campfire sparks I finally spent the money and ordered one of these wool shirts from New Zealand.

Shike likes this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

ghuns: with Cabela's being bought out, those pieces may be "collectors' items" shortly! ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Tyrolee likes this.
  8. Tyrolee

Tyrolee Loaded Pockets

Birkenstock's for me was the eye opener. I was raised by hippie parents so they've always had a pair, and recently I got some. I live in Florida and currently im at college so quick slip on shoes are always a must. my go to is Sperry top siders or Toms, but the Birkenstock's are a whole different level of ease and comfort. They fit well, I can walk all day in them and they match the aesthetic of Florida life. I was a little skeptical at $145 but the leather Arizona's are the way to go, they will last you many years to come and im glad I went through and purchased them.

Shike likes this.
  9. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Multi-tasking camping gear - a tent that doubles as my rain poncho or emergency down vest, and down sleeping quilt that doubles as a poncho/serape. Got me into the ultralight category (backpacking, bike touring) and have blurred the lines between camping, travel, and EDC gear for me.

Omega Man and benjisimon like this.
  10. PreparedCitizen

PreparedCitizen Loaded Pockets

Merino Wool socks in summer and winter. Merino Wool long johns

Triple Aught Design jackets, shorts, and pants for the DWR, overall cut, and other material aspects - They speak for themselves, awesome.

Under Armor heat gear - Quality and wear it under actual armor in FL summer heat!

meUndies underwear - Way better than cotton!

Levi 505 stretch jeans - I hated the feeling of jeans before finding these. Now I love them.

Danner and Red Wing boots

Merrell water resistant shoes

Last edited by PreparedCitizen, Apr 2, 2017
    #130 PreparedCitizen, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  11. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I bought a grey 5.11 flag bearer cap. It has been bleached by the Australian sun and now has a faint orange tinge to it. No idea what's going on there with the dye...but it has lost its tacticool aspirations.

tbzbbt

12. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

My black waxed cotton Driza-bone gilet is the best top I have ever bought. Rarely a day goes by when I don't discover another pocket in it....often I find a small flashlight or ticket that was feared lost....

13. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Merino wool boxer briefs. Nothing like em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kye4some likes this.
  14. btownguy

btownguy Loaded Pockets

Darn Tough Socks: Sure one pair cost the same as a six pack of Hanes/fruit of the loom, but the lifelong warranty and moisture wicking are well worth it.

Kuhl Rydr khakis: I tried the Mountain Khakis but wasn't ever that impressed, but when I tried the Kuhl they fit like a dream, as comfortable as any jeans I've got, and wear/age better then a lot of the khakis I've tried.

Salamon GTX shoes: Seriously the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, and the speedlace feature is something I didn't think I would like at first but now I can't think about going back to having to tie my shoes every time.

15. Saber52

Saber52 Empty Pockets

Danner boots - best I've ever had and longest lasting
    Merrell shoes wish I would've found those a few years ago
    and not clothing per say but a poncho liner, I will never not have one of those

16. JackBauer2218

JackBauer2218 Loaded Pockets

Base layers I pretty much have switched to arcteryx as my primary base layer now after some recommendations from a friend I have tried other companies they just don't hold up. I have purchased multiple types synthetic, merino wool also fleece depending on my hiking and trips or work environment and just hands down the best money I have spent. My wife thinks I am crazy for spending that much but when you spend that much for quality and don't have to spend that much again it's worth it.

17. morglan

morglan Loaded Pockets

And1 basketball shorts from Walmart.

I know, sounds stupid.

My whole life I was a cargo shorts in the summer guy. Heavy, hot, and sweaty.

For some reason, I bought a pair of XL (way too big for me) extremely bright red basketball shorts that look and feel like boxing trunks.

Most comfortable article of clothing I ever bought.

Got some strange looks from my friends when I converted to all athletic shorts, but it was worth it.

Oh, and Kuhl stuff--pants and jackets especially.

18. twoisone
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I'll chime in for LA Police Gear Operator Shorts. These shorts are awesome and I think I own about 8 pairs now. Nylon, no shrinking, and tons of pockets, all for like 20 bucks. Hard time lose.

19. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Kuhl is the next thing for me that I 'have' to try.

The items that changed my clothing life were:

Barbour waxed jacket, I've had the same one for 17 years now and it looks better than new.

Cogan London shoes, I own many pairs and have really beaten them up but they always hold up and are the most comfortable footware that I own.

And, surprisingly, when it comes to shirts I have to say that the Oxford shirts from Uniqulo https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/men-oxford-long-sleeve-shirt-400652.html?dwvar_400652_size=SMA005&dwvar_400652_color=COL68&cgid=IDreg-smart-oxford2284 these shirts rock my world, if I could be bothered to iron things I would wear them every single day.

20. Banzboy

Banzboy Loaded Pockets

Kuhl is cool. REI runs sales and Ebay deals are all over the place.Their Burr unlined jacket which I bought from REI for $89 in 2015 looks great and serves me well.

Journo likes this.