1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your "Eye Opening" Clothing Purchases

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Max., Jan 31, 2015.

1. Chiles

Chiles Loaded Pockets

Awesome! Definitely looking forward to the future of this stuff.

ran23 and Holliday like this.
  2. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Cool, right?

I also see that you are a firefighter/EMT. There is something in the pipeline for PPE that will be addressing THE most difficult sharp to defend against. Syringes. Definitely an issue in the healthcare/medical fields, but also an issue on the streets. I can't say too much because of an NDA, but if you like the slash resistant fabrics, then you are going to love what is being worked on now in this department.

This new "tech" coupled with the slash resistant fabrics and bullet resistant fabrics will be the grail of PPE. Stay tuned...

baccar-3 likes this.
  3. Chiles

Chiles Loaded Pockets

Oh yeah for sure! Thanks for the heads up!

Holliday likes this.
  4. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

That cut resistant shirt is incredible.
    If i was dong security work still i would be ordering a few.
    Need a pair of long boxer shorts too though, to cover the "junk" and femoral arterys

I do have one question though, how does it go with scissors (in the case of an MVA or blunt force injury, the medics needing to cut the shirt off you)

5. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Check these out :)

boxers.jpg

Made from the same cut resistant material. The fabric drapes nicely and is very breathable.

Great question about cutting it. This was something that we wondered about, too. Generally speaking, you need to use a circular saw! We were told the EMT shears will cut through the fabric, but they would be just about worthless after that. Completely dull.

The UK is the 'knife crime' capital of the world, I believe. So it makes total sense that a UK based company is behind this amazing fabric.

6. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Sounds like one of the "tech fibres" (kevlar, vectran, technora, dyneema, spectra etc) Does a number on my scissors/knofe when i am splicing it too (a ceramic knife seems to last longer)

Pretty sure it would be illegal here in australia....

7. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I'm afraid to try them, everyone time one of you guys has a suggestion, it costs me a fortune.:eek:

Seriously, what do they do that's worth the money? Tommy John's site says, "If you're having to constantly tug, pull and grab at ill-fitting underwear..." Frankly I don't have that problem or at least frequently enough to spend $40 to fix it.

8. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

Merino Wool & Gore-Tex.

I know this may be common clothing in other parts of the country and the world, but I was not up on either until I started working at an outdoor store by me. I switched completely to merino wool socks (Smartwool, Columbia, Timberland, and Kirkland) and got a pair of Smartwool underwear (all light or medium weight). These are so comfortable and merino wicks sweat better than any synthetic stuff I've ever worn. Also naturally anti-microbial and thus, odor-resistant. I'd love to get more thin merino wool clothing, but it is pricey.

I also got an Arc'teryx jacket and a pair of Ecco boots, both with Gore-Tex. Another game changer in the "sunshine state." I was constantly walking my dog or walking to class or on a day-hike on a sunny, cloudless day, when dark gray storm clouds would gather in a matter of minutes. Soon after, it would start pouring rain, and I would get to my destination wet and often cold. This is particularly annoying with your feet. The breathability of Gore-Tex combined with the aforementioned wicking wool socks has completely transformed my feet's comfort. 10/10 would recommend.

9. KDelta

KDelta Loaded Pockets

Gore-Tex trail running shoes. I wore rubber boots for years to walk to work in the fall and winter on the Canadian Wet Coast. The boots kept me dry but they were clumsy and I hated how socks kept rolling down my foot. I tried several non Gore-Tex "water proof" shoes and hikers but they all leaked after a few days. My first Gore-Tex runners were an eye opener. I could stand in a puddle and as long as the water wasn't higher than the shoe my feet stayed dry. In the first weeks of wearing them I was jumping in slush puddles like a little kid. Even now, more than a decade later, I still get joy out of plowing through big puddles on winter runs and muddy trails. The waterproofing lasts three or four years. By the time the waterproofing goes I need new runners anyway because the heel's worn down.

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  10. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

Going to have to back that up with a source. I get the feeling you're referring to the (false) news story that was circulating about the UK being '4 times more dangerous' than the US for violent crime. Statistics are easy to misrepresent and in that case the misrepresentation came from differing definitions of what is considered violent crime (the US's definition being more stringent - murder, homocide, rape, robbery and aggrevated assault)

/e: Don't want to deviate too much so lemmi throw in my two pence,

Bamboo viscose socks. Amazing. Cool in the heat, unlike cotton socks I don't stick to the floor when I take my boots off.

Last edited by Highbinder, Sep 13, 2016
    camporama likes this.
  11. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

What sources would meet with your approval? Since you have already convinced yourself that statistics are "easy to misrepresent." Regardless of what sources I link, will you even believe them?

12. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Highbinder

Let me know if these meet with your approval. If not, I'd be happy to be educated on the country that does have the most knife crimes per. You do have something that shows another country has higher knife crime per year, right? Because I wasn't able to find anything.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/1000-knife-crime-victims-in-london-each-month-shocking-new-figures-show-8681511.html

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2015/07/18/uk-knife-attacks-are-surging-n2026497

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-knife-crime-capital-revealed-5865958

Violent-Crime-Hybrid3.jpg

13. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

Not looking to derail, so I apologise for my initial post as it looks like it has derailed. Let me just say that I wouldn't consider any of those three links (especially the last which is basically a tabloid spread) to be a reputable source, as none of them show where they got their statistics from. I apologise if my previous post seemed curt but that is for two reasons,

1, You're not from here, and you're passing on hearsay. Which is why I was curious to hear where you got your information from. The UK, and certain areas, like Glasgow, which is where I'm from, have a very bad reputation. And much like a strong fart a bad reputation hangs around long after the fact.

2, Statistics or facts taken out of context can be misleading. Now specific like-for-like comparisons are difficult, which is exactly where this myth comes from as far as I can tell.

Let me try and give you an example, here are some stats I've pulled from government sources,

UK 2011/12 homicides with knife = 209 (39% of total) [0.33 per 100,000]
    UK 2012/13 homicides with knife = 194 (35% of total) [0.30 per 100,000]
    ( http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160105160709/http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171776_352260.pdf )

US 2011 murders with knife = 1716 (13% of total) [0.55 per 100,000]
    US 2012 murders with knife = 1604 (12.5% of total) [0.51 per 100,000]
    ( https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded-homicide/expanded_homicide_data_table_8_murder_victims_by_weapon_2009-2013.xls )

The per 100,000 pop numbers I worked out myself so do take with a grain of salt.

Now if you were to just say hey look at knives as a percentage totals of murders of course you could claim the UK has ''more'' knife crime than the US. But thats' simply because we have much more restrictions on more effective ways to murder someone (read: firearms). But if you look at the rates as compared to total population it gives a different story. If you then view it in context to TOTAL murder rates you get, again, a different story (where the US has what, x4 violent crime and x18 the murder rate, http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/United-Kingdom/United-States/Crime )

Then if you pry in further and start looking at definitions it becomes even more clouded. Assault has a different definition in the UK to the US. Violent crime has a different definition. And if you look at non-fatal attacks as well as homicides it changes again.

Now I admit I've gone a bit over the handlebars on this one, but I am a firm believer of checking facts that I read. If you'd like to continue this discussion maybe we can start a new thread over in the Break room.

/e: This is quite an interesting read, https://dispellingthemythukvsusguns.wordpress.com/ , and was the first thing I thought of when I read your original post.

Journo likes this.
  14. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Driza bone waxed cotton fishing style vest. Rugged, cool and enough pockets for the most dedicated EDCer. A good brea

CBisch likes this.
  15. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

No apology necessary and I'm sorry you had to write all of that. The sources are in the articles I linked, btw.

'Knife crime,' as it is defined in the UK, consist of more than just homicides. I factored those types of things into my original statement, but excluded those 'crimes' that were just folks being charged with carrying a knife. My original statement was based on homicides and assaults that involved knives and sharp objects.

I review all the data available to me before I delve into something and I would have never made that assertion if I wasn't fairly certain about the stats to begin with. Because I had a little free time today, I was able to dig deep into this subject matter with what I consider to be reputable source (Scotland Yard, OSN, etc) and now I am certain about my original statement. I've seen enough compelling data that I would be rather surprised if any other country or region had more per capita.

In my mind there is no need to discuss this any further. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

16. Torque

Torque Loaded Pockets

Back on topic.

The military's PCU system. The whole system works together to keep you dry, even after getting completely wet, or heavy ongoing perspiration. You basically 'cook' yourself dry from the inside layers out. After using it for various outdoor activities (e.g., backpacking/camping, airsoft, tactical run-n-gun shooting, etc.) I love, love, LOVE it. Has become my go-to system for S.H.T.F. clothing and camping. A bit expensive to get the whole kit, but you can piece it together slowly bit by bit.

Blackheart and camporama like this.
  17. joshwhoha

joshwhoha Loaded Pockets

Wool socks, sweat-wicking synthetic shirts instead of standard white cotton undershirts, athletic and "sport mesh" type boxer-briefs, and Gore-Tex anything.

CBisch and camporama like this.
  18. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

Vertx pants. Ordered a pair of the phantom ops with airflow on sale and about an hour after wearing them I had to have more. Got a few pair of the LT pants as well and so far nothing but praise for either. Anytime I find vertx marked down I grab some.

19. azaex

azaex Loaded Pockets

Got pair of Kuhl Renegade pants in today. Completely blows my mind why I've just been wearing normal jeans for now.
    Ridiculously comfortable (especially on a road bike), and the fact that the DWR coating actually works blows my mind. I won't be carrying rain pants around anymore. 5th pocket no longer exists but a new one was added to right leg, absolutely perfect for glove storage as well.

Eskerbillion and CBisch like this.
  20. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

Smart wool socks. I've got some others, Woolrich, Ice Breakers, Darn Tough, etc, but for comfort and durability, the Smart Wools are my favorite.

I have a set of Ice Breaker merino wool long Johns that are incredible.

For outerwear, I have several pieces from Cabela's with their Wind Shear lining. Amazing stuff.

CBisch likes this.