1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your "Eye Opening" Clothing Purchases

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Max., Jan 31, 2015.

1. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

I live in Missouri so it's seasonal for sure. They tend to have hit or miss in the summer months but the other 3/4 of the year they are easer to come by just more of a selection.

2. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I stopped by a Maxx yesterday and nothing from Darn Tough. Besides an assortment of "sport" socks from the usual brands there wasn't much at all in socks. Maybe a dozen packs from Timberland, Columbia, and Cabelas. I didn't buy anything.

kye4some likes this.
  3. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

Adidas Performance / ClimaCool underwear. They stay so much drier than cotton blend underwear. I imagine most of the pricier athletic underwear performs the same, seems like similar material.

Wind breakers. Holy crap are they great in cold weather. It's very windy where I live, making winter a bit of a pain. Any soft underlayer plus a hardshell / winderbreaker is extremely effective, less bulky than my winter jackets, and I can stash the windbreaker if it gets warm suddenly.

4. Mrbushhog

Mrbushhog Loaded Pockets

My kitanica order comes today, pair of shorts and pants.

5. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Micro-Fiber T shirts.

6. holygoat

holygoat Loaded Pockets

Underwear: I went through an underwear 'journey': Ex Officio (comfortable-ish, bulky, wore out), Saxx (terrible comfort), Uniqlo Airism (great for packing, but ride up), and more.

I ended up on Tommy John (referrer link). I don't like spending $40 on a pair of briefs, but I can't deny that they're incredibly awesome. Now I have four pairs.

Hats: I can't live without my Tilley nylantium hats. Incredible sun protection, and they're available to fit my giant head.

Sunglasses: Maui Jim. Really, really expensive… but unlike other brands (I'm looking at you, Costa and Rudy Project) they don't fall apart. And Mauis just have incredible optical quality. I let my friends who wear Oakleys and gas station sunglasses try them on, just so I can see the sadness spread across their faces as they realize that there really is a difference.

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Rode ~20 miles yesterday wearing one of my merino T-shirts. It was soaking-wet thereafter. I simply laid it on a cedar plank and allowed it to dry overnight in the cool California desert air. Checked it this morning. There was only a hint of body odor. Amazing! This was the same T-shirt that I have worn several times the past two months. While I don't wear my merino garments while riding, I wanted to determine how this fabric would fare in this activity. I now have over a dozen merino garments of various weights. I have them laundered by hand with a very mild specialty solution with lanolin that is not rinsed-out. I'm quite happy with the performance of this fabric.

8. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

Merino wool, New Wool (Australian) and cashmere. I wore wool as a child, socks, pullovers, jumpers, beanies, and then for some reason as an adult I mostly chose synthetic. Over the past seven years I have changed out my wardrobe and replaced alot of clothing with wool.

However I do like my gore-tex paclite jacket (great EDC jacket) and windstopper clothing and will keep with these products. These I use mainly for bushwalking, mountain bike riding, and traveling due to their layering properties.

For this winter I recently bought a full length gentleman's navy blue trenchcoat made of wool and cashmere. Pricey $$$$ but I intend to use it for the rest of my life so did not mind investing in quality.

9. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Since this was the first thread I heard about Darn Tough socks, I'll post this here.

I recently got two pair of their steel toe work socks. $23 a pair. I've been wearing them for a couple weeks for work (in steel toe boots) and I'm very impressed. My biggest gripe with any sock is that dreaded toe seam, and these socks have NO perceivable toe seam as they're hand linked at the toe. This means no thick stitching seam wearing blisters in your toes. Comfort wise they're super padded, and even though my boots are also awesome and I can't feel the steel toe cap in them, the socks take the comfort level up a notch. They definitely seem to live up to the "tough" name, the wool is really elastic and seems like it would take years of wear before wearing out. Honestly though if these socks didn't come with a lifetime warranty, there's no way I'd pay $23 for one pair of socks. But, I'm hoping that over the life of the socks they "pay for themselves". Socks and undies have always been a throw-away clothing for me, I wear them until worn out and replace them. These socks feel more like an investment than something that'll last a couple years and then go in the trash.

Heat wise, they haven't quite lived up to the hype as far as keeping your feet cool in the summer and sweat free. I just don't think there's any way around getting hot feet in a waterproof steel toe boot outside in 90+ degree weather. But, my feet aren't any hotter or sweatier than when I wear traditional cotton socks, so they at least aren't make matters worse, which I guess is still pretty impressive considering how thick and padded they are. I will definitely be buying more in the future.

Swe_Nurse and CBisch like this.
  10. Granville

Granville Loaded Pockets

I'm not usually into hipster clothing and more practical items, but I needed some casual and performance jeans for all around wear and travel. I ended up getting some Dish & DUER performance jeans on sale. Wore them on a trip up north and they were perfect for traveling and lounging around friends house. Weren't as cheap as my usual levi purchases but well worth it.

babola likes this.
  11. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Not sure how well it wears and how durable it is but that's some good looking jeans there, although a tad pricey.
    Also the only jeans I know of that comes with gusseted crotch for comfort and durability.

12. CBisch

CBisch Loaded Pockets

What's wrong with Rudy Project sunglasses? Just picked up a pair recently and am curious

13. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

If the boot has a membrane like Gore-Tex, despite the advertising I've found that they retain heat and moisture more than non-membrane boots. Any chance you can go with a non-waterproof boot for the summer months?

14. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I could but I do work outdoors and there's always a chance of rain so it's worth the extra heat. It really isn't THAT bad either, just an observation. I never am aware of it unless I'm deliberately thinking about my feet/socks/boots, so it's not like I'm working and keep thinking wow my feet are roasting. On days when it's that hot, the rest of me is so hot and covered in sweat, my feet are the last thing on my mind. Plus as an added bonus they'll be a bit warmer in the winter.

15. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I don't have many complaints about a pair of Jockey's and couldn't imagine what a $40 pair of skivvies could do for me. Do they they wash, fold, and put themselves away?

I might spend money on expensive sunglasses but I'd probably break them within the first week. I'll stick with the cheap ones...

16. camporama

camporama Loaded Pockets

Columbia PFG shirts. I don't wear cotton t shirts to the day.
    Also, my Costa Del Mar sunglasses were hands down one of the best purchases I have made.

17. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Try a pair and you will never go back.. I prefer the Buck Naked to the Tommy Johns. DTC will run them at $19 occasionally.

18. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Because of my line of work, just about everything I EDC or wear must have some sort of personal defense attribute or quality.

A few years back I was introduced to slash-resistant fabrics, and then clothing. We were able to test out samples with brand new box cutters (one of the most common weapons used in attacks), full speed and strength slashes directly to the fabric. We were speechless after the results. If I didn't see it with my own two eyes I probably wouldn't have believed it. Zero effect on the materials.

So, for me, that is probably the most eye opening clothing purchase. I feel these new fabrics are going to revolutionize the industry in many, many ways.

baccar-3 and camporama like this.
  19. Chiles

Chiles Loaded Pockets

Any examples you can point us to?

20. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

We tested probably 6 different types, but there's only one that I can easily show you. Cut-tex® Pro -

The thing is, right now it is very expensive. In a few years, just like flat screen TVs for example, the price will get to the point where it is more affordable. As it stands right now, a shirt will these fabrics will cost you between $200-$300 US.

I've personally tested and worn this fabric and it definitely lives up to the hype. It is also starting to be used on subway seats and a bunch of other things, because of its versatility.

baccar-3 and Chiles like this.