1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your "Eye Opening" Clothing Purchases

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Max., Jan 31, 2015.

1. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

Asics running shoes. I've always been into Nike and New Balance, but as my feet have aged (I haven't, just my feet) running shoes seemed to become kinda ho hum. My girlfriend had me try on a pair of Asics Gels and my feet feel like they're 17 again!

surefire7 likes this.
  2. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Yeah, and you can forget it if your car has tinted windows. All you see is rainbows. I had some prescription polarized glasses once...huge waste of money.

3. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

Merino Wool - Started out with Smartwool socks and base layers and expanded to other garments & accessories mostly from Smartwool, Icebreaker, Ibex and Minus33. I wear at least some merino wool socks and t-shirt daily and gifted merino clothing to my wife and son for Christmas.

Softshell - Started out with a Cloudveil Hellroaring fishing jacket as they were first American company to utilize the Schoeller fabrics and now have tons of softshell gear mostly from Cloudveil, Simms, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot and Patagonia. Seeing how most of my hunting gear involves merino base layers and softshell mid & outer layers I bought myself an Icebreaker Softshell & Merino hooded jacket for Christmas combining 2 of my favorite fabrics into one jacket.

Waxed Canvas - I got hooked on Filson Tin Cloth & Shelter Cloth outerwear long before I discovered the benefits of merino wool and softshell fabrics and continue to be a big fan of waxed canvas outwear, hats, luggage and gear from Filson, Schaefer Outfitters, Lewis Creek and others. Looks and feels better with age.

ExOfficio Give-N-Go Boxer Briefs - Yes I am familiar with the ones from Duluth and the ones from Exofficio remain my favorites.

Gusseted Crotch Jeans - The first pair I had were the Tractor Supply store brand Schmidt which they no longer make with the gusseted crotch. Duluth makes some great ones including the Flex ones that are my favorite. Wrangler puts gusseted crotches on some of their Pro Gear Cordura faced brush jeans which I wear a lot at the ranch along. They also have sewn-in suspender buttons which can be nice to have.

German & Italian Hiking/Hunting Boots - I'm pretty gung ho on buying USA made gear and still wear the heck out my USA made Danner and Chippewa boots but I will admit to have been spoiled by the fit & support offered in boots from German makers like Meindl, Hanwag and Lowa and Italian makers like Alico and Zamberlan.

Neck Gaiters - I wear synthetic gaiters when it is hot and merino wool ones when it is not. I still keep a folded bandana in my pocket for other uses but those tubes I used to think looked silly and were ridiculously overpriced are actually pretty amazing.

4. herman30

herman30 Loaded Pockets

;) All of you that don´t like polarized sunglasses; apparently non of you spend any time on water or live where there is blinding white snow in the spring with strong sunshine.

holygoat, Outbound, surefire7 and 3 others like this.
  5. Chiles

Chiles Loaded Pockets

It's looking into the world in HD. Polarized lenses or bust!

6. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

- Arcteryx anything for build quality
    - Outdoor Research for ultra-light/packable design in jackets, caps, gaiters, clothing etc
    - Kifaru insulated poncho/quilt (Woobie Express) for the warmest/lightest 1lb article of clothing/bedding for camping.

7. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

That's legit.

And I do have some polarized lenses for specific things. If I could only have one pair, there's no way they'd be polarized, though.

I need to see my car displays and my phone a lot more often than I need to see perfectly over water.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me

groovster likes this.
  8. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

To those of you who've had issues with polarized lenses, have you had these issues with more than one brand of sunglasses? I first used Natives when I got into polarized lenses and I noticed the plaid windshields and the blank GPS screen.

I put up with it for awhile, but when I got tired of lifting my shades to read my GPS I traded them for polarized Nikes and Oakleys. I haven't had issues with either of them. The Nikes are dark and the Oakleys are amber colored.

I ask because I haven't experimented with any other brands.

9. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Yep. Everything from gas station junk to Oakley to Revo.

If the lens is polarized, it will do that. If not doesn't do it, it's not polarized.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me

10. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

Huh, wonder what it is on my end. They're definitely polarized.

EDIT: A little googling has informed me that some manufacturers are making their screens in such a way so as to not badly interact with polarized lenses. Maybe I've just been lucky to have such products. Who knows.

Last edited by groovster, Jan 17, 2016
  11. Chiles

Chiles Loaded Pockets

A quick tip to check to see if your lenses are polarized.

Take the polarized glasses and hold the lens in front of another pair of polarized glasses. Face them together so they're oriented as if two people are staring face to face. Rotate one pair 90 degrees. If the area that they cross eachother turns black or you can't see through it anymore, they're polarized. This trick will also work with a digital watch face.

Ben Rubinstein and groovster like this.
  12. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

Levis 501 jeans. Never had a pair that fit better, love the button fly, and since they fit better, they last a lot longer. I am a pretty muscular guy, and pants that fit me can be tough to find. I used to have to go up a size or two to get them over my thighs and then tighten the belt up. 501 fit in the waist and thigh without making me look like a rapper from the nineties wearing parachute pants.

The other one is Toms shoe. I mean these things are seriously comfortable. They are super minimal which I love (I used to be one of those five fingers guys) and they support a good cause. They are also cheap, I get them for under $50. They only last about a year, but to me it's worth it.

I guess one other one are my chacos for the summer and day hikes. These guys are heavy duty, but bomb proof.

13. Minos

Minos Loaded Pockets

For me it was a lightweight down jacket for winter. Every winter I would wear a wool or leather coat with a carhart hoodie underneath. It weighed a million pounds and made my shoulders ache. Down was so warm and light for the weight! Pretty great.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

surefire7 likes this.
  14. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Hanes X-Temp "soft" boxer briefs. Soft is the key.

The North Face 3 in 1 is super warm and very versatile. Hated spending the money but I love it.

sswift likes this.
  15. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Darn tough socks and pendleton shirts. Learned about them on here .

Jake

sswift likes this.
  16. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

A pair of Tru Spec Eclipse pants. I've worn the 24-7's for years to work. About 6 months ago, I ordered a single pair of the Eclipse's, and they didn't fit. I've lost some weight & have recently revisited them. With 2 extremely hidden pockets, and being really comfortable, they get the 2 thumbs up!

sswift likes this.
  17. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

That's as much a function of low quality tint as it is so-so polarization or the two combined. That's definitely a good way to buy tint, sample it WITH a pair of (Quality) polarized glasses before it's installed. While it's not an absolute you won't notice some, again depending on the glasses as well, it's a good way to weed out the "upsale" of junk many tint dealers try to pitch you.

Polarized glasses tend to vary based on the sport frames with shield type curved lenses and the flat aviator style individual basically minor curve base lenses, as much as they do from brand to brand. The coating some manufactures apply to give the different colored mirror finishes, such as iridium, also can alter the otherwise beneficial advantages of being polarized. Many sandwich the coatings, along with the polarization in layer in the lens, some are bonded, etc. I mainly wear Oakley brand sport frames and I have almost zero issue with gas pumps or reading other lcd based displays I often see people suggest can't be viewed with polarized glasses. When i do it's usually at extreme angles that I can just barely make it out with no shades on the first place.

For my "eye opening clothing", most recently has been Carhart jeans. I got some of theirs rated at 11oz, much more like I remember most name brand jeans used to be 20+ years ago. I would think these should hold up well if they are anything like Levi's used to be back then, at least I hope so as I have only had them a couple weeks.

18. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

That's interesting. I would like to think my eyeglasses were a high quality, but I guess you can never be sure what kind of garbage you're being sold these days. Same goes for the tint...this was about 10 years ago and the tint on that vehicle held up great for all those 10 years, never faded or turned purple or bubbled or anything like that, and it did come with a lifetime warranty. So, I'd say if anything maybe my glasses just had cheap coating on them. It did put me off on polarized lenses, but I'll keep an open mind in the future.

19. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

Darn Tuff socks rock, I pick them up at TJ Maxx for 4-7 bucks a pair. I've been buying them for years now and most of the socks in my drawer are now Darn Tuff all others fell apart or have been throw out.
    I really like the TAD Inceptor jeans. Very well made with an EDC pocket arrangement dream. My only two gripes are the fit, they run long I ordered 30 inseam and they come at 33 inseam and the waist size runs a bit bigger at well. The other gripe is that the way the front hand pockets are angled and loose I find it very hard to wave my DpX open.
    [​IMG]
    Mountain Hardwear makes topnotch soft shell 1/4 zips love Em and just about anything you can grab at a reasonable price from Arc'teryx. I've had really good luck with GearTrade.com most is 40-70% off many sellers (Backcountry for one) with free shipping if you don't mind that it had been worn then returned. I have no affiliation with the site just recommending you check it out. There is a lot of hit and miss with the quantity on the site depending on the time of year.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  20. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I generally don't shop at Maxx or similar stores but are you finding those socks in store because I didn't see anything online. Are they something that are always there or does finding them require multiple trips?