1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your "Eye Opening" Clothing Purchases

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Max., Jan 31, 2015.

1. shadowolf713

shadowolf713 Loaded Pockets

These two items came to me after a few months in the military: Under Armor Boxer Briefs, and Rocky s2v socks. Good golly I had thought my underwear was comfy then I put on that pair and it's all I have worn for the past 5 years. When I first went mountain climbing I wore these mid-high hitec hiking boots, then after that I wore my garmont t8's and oh word, talk about walking on a cloud.

Dorian likes this.
  2. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Quality sunglasses. I've had a pair of American Opticals and Ray-Bans and, though the styles were different and they were made differently (Original Pilots vs. Classic 2140 Wayfarers) the quality was just as good on the AOs as it is on the Ray-Bans... the AOs were possibly, dare I say, better in the optical quality department than my Ray-Bans.
    Darn Tough socks too. I love mine. They really are fantastic socks, and they're worth every penny they cost.
    One thing that the generic type version was actually better than the name brand version was with compression shorts. I have a pair of Under Armour compression shorts for running and they're nice, don't get me wrong, but the version that Road Runner sells under their own name is SO much better for actually running for me. They aren't as comfortable for wearing all day because they're tighter, but they give much more support in the legs while running and the compression material is noticeably thicker. Add on to that that the construction is actually sturdier feeling on the Road Runners and I believe I paid less for them than the Under Armours, and you've got a winner.

3. KempoEMT

KempoEMT Loaded Pockets

Duluth Trading company Jeans. A god send. I got big thighs and a big butt. I enjoy the extra room.

4. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

Quilt lined Carhartt's.
    As if Carhartt's couldn't get any better.
    Also Costa Del Mar sunglasses.

5. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I agree with Costa Sunglasses. Their polarization is unmatched.

Eye opening purchase for me are my Salomon Xa Pro 3d's. Their quick lace system is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

This thread is going to bankrupt me.

Mine has to be Kuru shoes, the Kuru Chicane to be precise. They have all but cured my plantar fasciitis.

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  7. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I might be inclined to try a pair of Kuru shoes if they came in more than exactly one model in a wide width. Their exchange policy isn't too reassuring either, apparently I can try them on a walk around only on clean carpeting free of pet hair. Both Keen and Timberland allow you 30 days to wear them anywhere, REI a year, and LL Bean for life.

8. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Well, I do wish the return/exchange policy was more lenient, but I haven't had any issues otherwise. As for width, I have a pretty wide foot and the model you mentioned that comes in wide, I don't even buy the wide, I buy the standard version and I had plenty of room. If I were you I would at least try a pair and wear them around your living room and see how they feel. I have exchanged a few pairs and they're pretty good about accepting them as long as they aren't stuffed up, the tread has no wear on them, and they aren't overly creased and broken in.

9. EDChris

EDChris Loaded Pockets

Maui Jim Polarized Sunglasses. They are expensive but the clarity is amazing.
    Balega Socks. They are made for runners but they are amazingly comfortable for someone like me who mostly sits and occasionally walks. I even walk with them outside on occasion (usually chasing the dog) and they still hold up very well.
    Calvin Klein Micro Modal Trunks. These undies are by far the most comfortable undies I have ever worn, and I have tried many. They are $26/pair and I have a drawer filled with them.
    Carhartt Jeans. They are a little thicker than I like for California summers but they are amazing pants and hardly show any wear.

10. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Polarized sunglasses (Oakley, Ray Ban, Wiley X) and quality footwear. For the footwear, that typically means "expensive", but so worth it. For as much time as I spend on my feet each day at work, sub-par shoes simply don't make sense. If expensive shoes are beyond your budget, I highly recommend saving up or biting the bullet to get some. It's as important as a quality mattress, IMO.

Casual shoes: Scarpas have worked so well, I bought a second pair of the same model (Scarpa Mojito)
    Boots: Caterpiller Indiana for work and Under Armor Brow Tine for hunting. Seriously, the UAs are like comfy sneakers with ankle support and grippy tread. :) I had Red Wings a number of years ago and loved them, but haven't tried them in a while.

11. Magic8ball

Magic8ball Loaded Pockets

Polarized Wiley X glasses.... Never realized how much I squinted.
    Darn Tough socks - yep, that good.
    Redwing Boots - I may have cried the first time I paid that much for boots; gratefully swiping the credit card hurt a lot less on subsequent pairs.

Excalseras likes this.
  12. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I also want to add the Columbia Fleece Jacket. For less than $30 you get a really warm jacket for decent quality.

If you want to go expensive, the Arcteryx LT jacket is pretty much the all around jacket. Supremely comfortable, lightweight, WARM, wind proof and water resistant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nwjavahead likes this.
  13. JC807

JC807 Loaded Pockets

love Carhartt work shorts and pants. I wear them to work and casually. They seem to last a really long time.

14. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Merino Wool, but only for underwear and socks. Shirts don't last long enough for me unless they're too heavy to wear inside.

Contrary to basically everyone else....NONpolarized Oakley Prizm SI lenses. They're amazing. But, I HATE polarized lenses. I don't understand how anyone uses them. I have to take them off to see any of the displays in my car or to use my phone. Yeah, they're better for some things, but I don't think a marginal reduction in glare is worth it. The Prizm color, OTOH, is great...improved depth perception with my eyes, and everything just looks better. I need to get a prescription pair at some point.

5.11 Ridgeline Pants. I love yoke pockets. The rest of the "features", I couldn't care less about. And I'd design them very differently. But yoke pockets are the secret to comfortably carrying things. Hopefully my incoming TAD Intercepts will be similar and not look so dumb.

Merrel Trail Gloves or whatever. I like minimal shoes. Almost as much as being barefoot.

15. Fring

Fring Loaded Pockets

Minus33 merino wool neck gaiter and Minus33 merino wool beanie. Very packable and warm.

+1 on Kuhl. I've purchased a few pairs of their pants and have my eyes on their Parachute ultra-lite rain shell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brisket likes this.
  16. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Saxx Underwear - This stuff runs about $30 per pair :frantic: here in Canada. I try to find it on sale when I can and then buy 3 - 4 pairs at a time. I'll never wear another brand. I've tried Hanes, Under Armour, Costco's brand, and a couple others. Nothing comes close. I can wear my underwear all day long no matter what I'm doing. Never excessive sweating, never chafing, always comfy.

Arcteryx...well, anything!! - If I had the money I'd switch pretty much all my clothes over to Arcteryx (except my underwear and cotton hoodies). I actually priced out a new wardrobe of all Arcteryx one day when I was bored....$5000 would have me head to toe, base to shell with hundreds of possible combinations of layers for different conditions.

Technical clothing doesn't get any better than Arcteryx. I currently own two t-shirts and they're by far my most comfortable tees in any weather. They start around $30 - $45 each. I've also tried on some of their other gear and the only reason I haven't bought it is it's mucho dollar. You get what you pay for though in fit, function and quality.

The North Face - I'm not a big fan of how TNF has kind of sold out to the yuppie crowd and become more fashion than the technical apparel they used to be. That said, their cotton hoodies are my favorites. They fit me well which is rare. I also like how the hood is snug, but not tight around the neck. When the hood is down, it still keeps my neck warm and when I put it up the hood mostly turns with my head so I don't end up with the blind spots that bigger, looser hoods have.

Their cargo shorts are great too. I use them in the bush, but with newer models changing etc I may just switch to Arcteryx for a few dollars more. I also have the Apex Bionic soft shell jacket which is my daily wear. The zipper is starting to wear out after about 3.5 years but I make that jacket looked damned good. :)

Red Wing footwear - Hands down the best work boots I've ever owned. Danner is a very close second but my Red Wings are unstoppable. I'm a welder (unfortunately) so my boots take a beating. Laced with Iron Laces (see below), and fitted with Red Wing's cork insoles I'm going into my 2nd year with the same pair. I plan to try some of their casual footwear once my current shoes wear out.

Iron Laces - Simply put...the best laces on the market. If I can't destroy them welding, you know they're indestructible. I'm on my second pair of boots with the same laces. A guy I work with is on his 3rd pair of boots. I'm switching all my footwear over to Iron Laces.

Smith Optics - Been running the same pair of shades for nearly 8 years now. Finally starting to show their age. Will buy Smith again in a heartbeat. Polarized only. As a fly fisherman, I spend alot of time on the water. Polarized is critical.

WigWam Socks - very warm, very comfy merino wool socks. I need more.

Merino wool - In general, this is a great material. I have a few base layers in it as well as socks.

As you can see, I don't buy cheap clothing and I do wear primarily "technical" clothing. I don't even own a suit or tie. LOL. However, the expense I pay for clothing and footwear is one time, not multiple. I see it at work often. My Red Wing boots were about $350 all said and done. A couple guys scoffed at that and couldn't believe I'd spend that money. However, they go through 2 pairs of $150 work boots every year and are complaining of sore feet. I'm on year 2 with my one pair of boots and my feet are happy.

Buy once. Cry once. :D

Last edited by Outbound, Jan 3, 2016
  17. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

+1 on the duluth fire hose work pants. i got a pair about 3 years ago and wear them in the spring, summer, and fall working outside and out in my shop. they just won't stop being awesome. the pockets are huge and are easy to get into even while wearing gloves. the ball-room crotch is a joy to have. i been down in the dirt and mud with mine and the fit, feel, and toughness are all awesome.

my 5.11 aggressor parka. i got it last last fall for the upcoming winter (which didn't really get here until about 2 days ago) so i haven't had to wear it much. i'd been wearing the inner fleece jacket a bit the past week or so, and it is so comfortable. it has excellent pockets, both inside and out, that are big and in the perfect place for me. the outer shell is also excellent and has the same pockets in the same places. each piece, the inner and outer, can be worn separately or together. until today (tonight), i'd never had need of wearing both of them together. but i decided that since it was going down in the lower 30s i wanted to try them out together. so i sipped the inner back into the outer and went outside. never even felt the cold or the wind...and it's been windy as heck all day today. if it ever snows here, you can bet i'll be out in it testing the parka's waterproof capabilities.

18. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

Oakley prescription glasses, and Gunnar prescription computer glasses*. The quality of these lenses blows away what I was getting from Lens Crafters. It never dawned on me that it could be that much better until I tried these because I had extra funds in my FSA. I'll never go back.

* Gunnar uses Carl Zeiss lenses.

19. edcedcedc

edcedcedc Loaded Pockets

Tilley hats - went from only wearing baseball caps to owning two Tilley's. Best hat you can wear in the sun.

airsickness and nwjavahead like this.
  20. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

Smart wool socks. First pair I bought was $22. Long story short, I didn't know the price before I hit the register. I almost fell out. The girl at the register told me, that if I didn't like them, I could always return them. I've since bought several more pair for hiking!
    Ex Officio boxer shorts. Ridiculously expensive for a single pair of underwear! Best I've ever wrapped my boys in! Cool, comfortable, wicking, quick drying, the list goes on & on!
    Danner 6" Explorer boots. Expensive for a leather hiker, but recraftable, comfortable, and quite good looking! From a nice backwoods hike to an expensive dinner, they fit right in! Oh, and still made in America.
    Tactical Distributer's Carlos Ray 2 pant. I've just got these, and wore 'em once for a full day of gallivanting. Nothing rough, but they're like a pair of Levi's had forced relations with a pair of lounge pants! They're a cotton, and possibly spandex blend. Redonkulously comfortable! Plenty of edc sized pockets, and bootcut, so they fit & looked good the the Danner's above, that I wore with 'em. From what I've found, all the issues in the first version have been corrected int he second. Crotch room, button coming off, loose threads, etc are all a thing of the past. Oh, and one last note, Carlos Ray, who the pats are named after, is Chuck Norris' real name. These pants are supposed to be really stretchy, for those high kicks.
    Costa Del Mar polarized lenses. I'll second what's been said above. I've had 2 pair over the years. Started with a glass lens pair about 13 years, they were real nice! When they were old & worn out, I replaced 'em with a cheaper pair with polycarbonate lenses. They were & are fantastic! Their products have always been nice, but they are definitely getting better as time & tech advances.

LivingUpNorth likes this.