1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your "Eye Opening" Clothing Purchases

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Max., Jan 31, 2015.

1. azJim

azJim Loaded Pockets

Duluth pocket t shirts and polo shirts. Long enough to banish plumbers butt. I don't even have to buy tall.

2. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

A pair of leather slip on shoes. I had a full Jack Reacher moment, bad fitting shoes that I'd bought really just for the wedding but wore on the honeymoon to properly break then in and went to a shoe shop, saw these, tried them on and bought them straight away, dumping my bad shoes in their bin on the way out the door lol

ran23 and Cuester like this.
  3. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

+1 on the polarized shades. Even no-name brand polarized shades put a whole new tint on the world. As a pool lifeguard, they are priceless because of being able to see the bottom through the glare off the water.

Definitely waterproof gloves. My Duluth "winterproof" (not really winterproof, but definitely waterproof) gloves were a nice surprise the first time I stuck my hands in a puddle by accident and didn't feel any wetness or even change in temperature on my hands at all.

I used to always carry around cheap knit hats during winter and they take up so much pocket space. The woolly mammoth and shoreman's fleece caps I have from Duluth are just as warm as those old knit hats and take up 1/10th of the pocket space.

WigWam socks - heavy duty extra warm socks that go almost up to my knee. Never though I'd like wearing socks that long, but they're great for pairing with winter boots.

cheeser likes this.
  4. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

About 5 years ago, I made an impulse purchase of a pair of thick, wooly-looking socks with reinforced heels and the word 'Protrek' embroidered across the toes. Over the next couple of years, I began to notice that I was putting these on more than anything else, and actually happy to have them back clean through the laundry. They seemed to work just as well in hot weather as cold, they didn't shrink in the dryer, they didn't the edges of my toes like some cheaper socks and they weren't seeming to wear out. I was even using them as slipper-socks in the house on cold days.

The store I bought them from was no longer in business by this point, so I googled 'Protrek' and discovered that they were HJ Hall brand socks, made right here in the UK by a family-owned and run factory that had been in the hosiery business for a century. I also discovered that the model I had ('Challenger') was made of a merino wool blend... I had read about merino wool on here and not known I was using it already.

Fast forward to today, and my sock-drawer is made up of 95% HJ Hall products. I had another revelation when I picked up a pair of their merino 'soft tops' –– these don't have any elastic, but they're sewn in a way that they stay up all day long –– even better than elasticated socks which bunch and roll down. I still have a few lesser brand socks, but they never get worn, and my feet have never been happier.

The final straw... I still have the original pair I bought more than 5 years ago, and aside from a little 'bobbling' they are showing no discernible wear! Bear in mind that I've worn these everywhere, washed them in rivers and rung them out, sent them through some pretty gnarly laundry services and left them at the bottom of a dry bag bursting at the seams with sweaty, dirty clothes for a month. They still look and smell like I can use them for a few more years.

5. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Polarised sunnies (I really like Oakleys)

and softshell pants (Kuhl Renegade and Outdoor Research Ferrosi)
    these pants are awesome ! so comfy, very light, but warmer than jeans or cotton cargo pants in winter, and cooler in summer.
    the rain beads up and runs off when they are new, but after a few months, the DWR needs to be retreated, using a wash-in or spray on product (i haven't bothered) even with worn DWR, they dry ultra quick.
    I only have one issue with them, their tendency to melt and shrink into a puddle of sludge if exposed to flame for too long - which isn't a problem for normal people, but for a photojournalist in an Aussie summer, it can be a bit dangerous (so i keep a pair of Proban fire trousers and matching jacket in the car, to change into if i need to cover a fire)

6. TangoMike

TangoMike Loaded Pockets

Prescription, polarized Oakleys. Man I started wearing glasses 12 or 13 years ago, and since then never had sunglasses until a year and a half ago. And now I wear them 5 days a week min. Merino clothing, man I love that stuff, I've got a few hundred worth of shirts alone.

groovster likes this.
  7. Ig

Ig Loaded Pockets

One more for merino wool. Mostly T-shirts because of generally hot climate here.

8. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Loaded Pockets

Carhartt pants - I love the material and pocket layout.

Saucony kinvara running shoes, these have served me well in numerous marathons.

Patagonia Thermals, I have being cold.

sungame, JC807, kd7dvd and 1 other person like this.
  9. BFG
    • In Omnia Paratus

BFG Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info, have just ordered a couple of different versions

10. Kyle Davis

Kyle Davis Guest

Kuhl. I believe it's a German brand of outdoor clothing?? They are sold at REI. VERY expensive!

11. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Here in Australia they are around the same price as everything else (and i only ever buy them when they are on sale)

12. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

Ecco shoes 4 me too!

13. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

Kuhl also makes wonderful hats if you have a big head like me

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  14. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

Hawaiian shirts. First time I wore one to work I got so many compliments. they are now all I wear.
    Harbor Bay elastic waist slacks. so comfy. good fit in the thighs. it didn't take long to replace all my Dockers with these.
    Shemagh. such warm. much comfy. wow.
    boxer briefs. For years I wore briefs because that was the underwear my parents bought for me as a kid. I did not even know other underwears existed. one day i go shopping for fresh briefs, see the Boxer Briefs there, and try them out. so comfy. that bit of extra coverage saves me from a lot of chapped skin. it didn't take long for me to toss the old briefs and swap everything out for boxer briefs.

Water-Rat likes this.
  15. Hobs98

Hobs98 Loaded Pockets

Duluth fire hose work pants. Love the pocket layout and the material is surprisingly soft but tough. Oh, and they don't bunch in the crotch when you crouch down.

deeker likes this.
  16. Rotwang

Rotwang Loaded Pockets

Five years ago I visited friends in Bejing. They took me to a tailor and I got my first made-to-measure suit and 3 made-to-measure shirts. Nothing I have ever worn compares to that :frantic: . Unfortunately, made-to-measure tailoring is really expensive in Germany, but it is a temptation.

Trickster, ran23, TomWelch and 3 others like this.
  17. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

duluth boxers were a game charger for me. also vertx pants now there the only pants i wear.
    darn tough sox just cant be beat. danner boots and finn comfort shoes are the best i ever worn.

18. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

double post sorry

19. TheKojack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

TheKojack Loaded Pockets

Raw denim, heavyweight chambray shirts, heavyweight flannel shirts and 5oz quality made 100% cotton t-shirts. Good quality clothing pays for itself every time you put it on.

ItJustDiz likes this.
  20. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Agree with the above post re:G-Shock. I will not ever wear another brand. They are literally indestructible, and incredibly accurate when compared not autos ands the such . After my first G I have tried to like other watches, but can't justify them. Too much jewelry, not enough tool.

Also Keen steel toe boots. I have wide feet and thought I would never be able to wear steeltoes (even though work requires them). Until I found Keen. Great comfortable and rugged steel toe boots.

OldRakkasans187 and groovster like this.