1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your EDC hands free solution? (more than just headlamps)

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by zenlunatic, Oct 1, 2008.

1. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

I was just wondering what you folks use for hands-free illumination.

I was thinking about getting a mini mag with a Nite Ize bite to safely hold it in my mouth. I read the mini-mags really aren't the best lights, so I was thinking about the ArcAAA with some kind of rubber sleeve to hold between teeth.

Of course I own a headlamp, but I would really like to use my bag's space for other necessities than a second or third light.

I really don't have an EDC light yet, so hopefully you guys can suggest some versatile torches, meaning hands free use.

2. Mr. kydex

Mr. kydex Loaded Pockets

Re: Your EDC hands free solution?

you could always get a light with a clip that goes on the bill of a hat. or if you want to hold the light in your teeth you could wrap the end in some duct or electrical tape, or a rubber sleeve like you said. or how about a really small headlamp? i don't have an Arc light so i can't say much about it,

as for what I use for hands free illumination, other than just sticking a light in my mouth (for temporary situations) , a Princeton Tec Eos headlamp (note, that is not EDC).

:luck: finding your light.

P.S. my edc light is a Streamlight Microstream, it's a good light.

3. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

if you're not afraid of a light that illuminates perpendicularly to the body, the Zebralight H50 is for you. the headband/holder takes very few space in a bag.

this is my best light ever, though I still use Photon Freedoms for quick access (keychain) and a L2D for when I need a good throw.

4. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

I usually just stick my 120P in my mouth. It's fine for short term lighting. If you're carrying a bag i would definately throw a Zebralight H30 in there, it's TINY, light and strap just slightly bigger than carrying a spare battery. And as far as the arc's, you could hold that in your mouth all day, it's almost cigarette sized.

5. zenlunatic

I don't think my dentist would like me holding a arc in my teeth. :)

6. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

+1 for the ZebraLight. Your search has ended. :)

Unless you for some reason *must* have a headlamp that can also throw, then the Petzl Tikka XP gets my vote for second best. But really, the ZebraLight is the only hands-free light you'll ever need and easily worth its price.

7. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

Your dentist will be fine, just roll your lips over your teeth and bite so you don't chip anything.

8. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

I use a good LED headlamp, any brand works for me. I just like them to take standard AA or AAA bats. So I don't have to pay a fortune for weird ones. :brickwall:

9. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

I use a Zebralight, a Pentagon MOLLE light that can tail stand or clip on to bag/clothing, or a Fenix P2D with gaffer tape around the tail cap, held in my teeth. Or some combination of the three ;D

10. zenlunatic

Thanks for all the responses. That zebralight looks great. I'll have to look over this months finances and see if I can fit it in. Otherwise, xmas :p

Real quick though, anyone use/comment on these products:

Headband/AA Mini-Mag-LiteĀ®
    Lite Bite
    Lite Holster Plus
    Flashlite Friends

They're gimmicky, but sure do look useful. However, based on my research there are much better torches than the Mini Mag/LED, even though it's not the worst light in the world. (note I don't own a mini mag)

11. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

I've used the Headband/AA Mini-Mag-Lite, Lite Bite, and the Flashlite Friends. The Headband worked, but making sure it shined where I needed or just stayed in place was a hassle. Hitting your head where the light was made the impact worse. Yes I did that a few times.

The Lite Bite worked well, but making sure it wouldn't impact when I turned my head. I needed up taking the neck cord off since I seldom hung it. Not to mention keeping it somewhere where it would stay clean. I usually washed it off in hot water before and after use, but sometimes that wasn't possible.

Flashlite Friends worked pretty good, but getting into position took time. Usual it was faster hold the light than to use it.

There was also issues on how to store each item when I didn't need them.

I've been using a headlamp for over a year. It works better for me that the three above.

12. Marduke

Marduke Loaded Pockets

Fenix LOD + included clip + hat = hands free goodness

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

Yea, but what if ya don't have a hat? ;D

14. itsrob

itsrob Empty Pockets

I've used a jakstrap for years, basically a headband with an elastic band for your maglite. Lightweight and you know, one less light to worry about packing. The straps are a bit too large for my newer LED flashlights, as they were made to hold a AA mini-mag and the LED lights I have are a lot smaller.
    http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441778425
    I've read some good things about the new 3xAA LED mini-mag and I was thinking about getting one as a replacement for my old-school 2xAA bulb mini-mag, but that Zebralight looks pretty great. I'll have to think that over...

15. Marduke

Marduke Loaded Pockets

You can clip it to a watch strap also, so it points wherever your hand does. Or use a small section of paracord (everyone here carries some, right??) to tie it to a pair of glasses. If you have big ears, you can tuck an AAA light behind one.

Be creative. The clip can go both ways, either bezel up or bezel down, so it's versatile.

16. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Consider your application, e.g., outdoor camping, hiking, or indoors use, when buying a hands-free light.

I learned by using a River Rock head lamp that I prefer a wide flood pattern instead of a narrow spot pattern when wearing the light for closeup work. While I was replacing a light switch in a wall, I had to hold my head very still or the focussed spotlight beam from the River Rock would be pointing in the wrong direction. That was annoying.

17. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey Loaded Pockets

I really like my Energizer headlamp. Its cheap and simple, the only drawback is that it isnt waterproof/resistant.

or the Rayovac Sportsman is even better but a little more expensive. This one went through several days worth of nightfire qualifications in the pouring rain with extra helpings of dirt and mud. It worked flawlessly.

I have given these lights a beating and they still work perfect

I believe both retail for under $20

18. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

Good ideas!

19. h8mtv

h8mtv Empty Pockets

I carry a molle light. It uses 1 AA with a LED bulb so it is very bright and long lasting. It has a pocket clip and is angle headed. I clip it on my shirt, pocket, etc all the time while working in tight spaces.

20. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

The Petzel E-lite is a headlamp that doesn't take much room. It weighs 28g and uses two coin-cell batteries. Because it's so light it doesn't need a heavy strap.