1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your definition of "tacticool" ?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by sbillard, Aug 7, 2017.

1. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Holy smokin' muzzles----I didn't even notice the gun.:unsure:

Moshe ben David and Guido Nova like this.
  2. Guido Nova

Guido Nova Loaded Pockets

In no particular order:
    -I think Tactical is usually used as a pejorative
    -I like molle b/c its versatile
    -I never really cared what other people thought about me
    -There is some non-military gear that actually functions just fine for my civilian purposes
    -I like the tactical look and think its cool. I also like old fashion canvas leather and wood. Tactical just works best for me day to day.

3. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I was going to answer this about three times now but quit.

If you read the definition of tactical, it has to do with application of tactics. An item/product/team (etc) in and of it self can't be or isn't tactical unless its applied tactically.

IMO "tacticool" is used in a snarky way to describe something that attempts to be something it's not, like calling something tactical just to draw in buyers...and unfortunately it works.

A few it's worked for are rifle stock companies, but I don't think they ever intended for them to be used tactically, specifically or maybe at all.

When I hear that stupid comercial about the "tactical lantern" I laugh...that's like saying "tactical blunderbuss". Tactical- backpack, knife, rope, colors, eyeware, boots, etc all gets a little rediculous, because the majority of us will never use it tactically, nor can most of those items be used tactically. Therefore they are tacticool.

Reminds me of some other fun names given to things by the media and other groups like "assault rifles" even though 99% will never see more than the range or hunting and will never assault anything.

Application determines a lot in all cases.

4. Slumber

Slumber Loaded Pockets

Tacticool:
    1. Any item with paracord attached.

5. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

Good to see you did not include _tactical_ pens. They, as everyone knows, are indeed the real McCoy! ;)

Tactical knife, btw is a custom item in the global customs registry/database

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

Ethos likes this.
  6. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Well knives could be applied tactically, but being black doesn't make it tactical. :)

7. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

^
    it's foliage or tan that does the trick actually :) :)

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

Ethos likes this.
  8. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I no longer regard molle / pals on backpack as "tactical or tacticool" since I now see it on generic and or fashion packs; Nike Adidas etc.
    The webbing really is quite useful, although I'm sure most of the people who have it on their fashion bags don't know what it is for.

sent from your mamma's house

9. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

My take on Molle is that it makes the pack heavier, more stitching makes it easier for water to penetrate and the molle web will hold water itself, making the pack even heavier in rain. Personally I prefer a larger pack, so I can fit all items inside.
    As in most matters YMMV, and I have to admit my experience is limited since the concept doesn't really attract me.

I did recently get a pack with laser cut Molle. Will be interesting to see how that compares to traditional webbing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

To me, tacticool is where there is an attempt to be tactical but in reality, it isn't. This applies both physically and/or mentally. There are times where it can be good-natured fun or it can be a derogatory term.

As an example, a school backpack is meant to transport books and various supplies to and from school. They come in all sorts of size and color to complement the user's needs and/or personality. A person may choose the color black and adorn it with all sorts of military style related patches of sorts. Due to the patches, the owner may feel a bit more confident and have a military sense of pride, however the student does not have an air of attitude or superiority. Those patches does not supply the owner with a tactical advantage. If anything, it can be a detriment in his overall tactical standing. The owner is now more easily identifiable. The patches may also indicate that the pack may have extra quality gear of value. In a liberal environment, that patches could potentially cast the student in an unfavorable light. Some of those patches may be funny, have an awesome design or perhaps invoke a sense of pride. In this case, that backpack has become tacticool. I would classify this as good-natured fun. Other than a person with a hatred of the military or a real jerk, I don't think anyone would give the student a hard time about the backpack.

Let take another student who is morbidly obese. His backpack is military surplus gear. Using a variety of hooks, clips, straps, modifications and so on, he is able to transform it to be a completely awesome rig that matches the school's colors. Due to his medical condition, the pack has been modified to fit his body shape well and has the weight evenly supported. Books are super organized and supplies are readily accessible. Several pouches are expandable to accommodate temporary additional items such as new library books. However, this student feels and act like he is a member of the student division of the Team 96 Seal Berets. It an elite joint operation program between the Air Force and Coast Guard and allows hand picked high school students to skip the selection process and become full members of the special forces community upon high school graduation. This example would be the derogatory use of tacticool. The gear itself is sound and has the some advantages over a normal backpack. However, the student feels that his backpack makes him superior over the others is where the distinction is drawn from.

11. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

Be careful!! There may be members of the Seal Berets reading this forum for all you know. If you insult their honour they will track you down (they have ways and means). If you're lucky, they might just let you grovel your way out of a really bad situation. But thats a big IF......

12. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

In the tactical (le) community, the term more likely represents someone with too much or unnecessary gear. I'm also pretty sure it was a service member who coined the phrase "if it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid." The pea coat at one time served a tactical purpose, it is now iconic fashion.

13. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I was thinking about this earlier and the example I came up with was dog tags.

There are reasons for someone who isn't and has never been military to wear dog tags. One is that they have health problems and so they had tags made up with their health conditions/medications/hospital numbers etc. In that case it is a practical item.

On the other hand you get guys who wear dog tags just because they like the look. They have no practical purpose and identify them as 'this person is either military or a military wannabe'. Either way, if there was an active shooter scenario, they've made themselves a target.

That's tacticool in my opinion. Wearing something because you want to look 'tactical' whereas in serves no purpose.

huntnow likes this.
  14. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

Not if they wear the tags inside their shirt. Tactically, so to speak. But then I guess the point of being tacticool is to show off...I hope if I ever encounter an active shooter he/she/they won't identify my "forest and khaki" two-tone maxpedition octa versipack as a priority indicator....Ah jeez, who am I kidding? With several beige s-biners hanging off it...I'd be toast. Knew I should have ordered the pink one.

#34 The Slap, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  15. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Yeah I think wearing them inside the shirt is more subtle but you can still see the ball chain a lot of the time and you don't get much jewellery on a ball chain.
    Plus what's the point in wearing something tacticool if no-one con see it?

16. mdnitedrftr

mdnitedrftr Loaded Pockets

I feel that tacticool is simply anything military-esque, that a civilian might own/use.

I definitely own stuff that puts me into that category, but I also don't give a F. I like Multicam, sue me.

Busmech and huntnow like this.
  17. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

I like multicam too. I have several clothing articles and a backpack I use when hunting. I think most other common camo patterns have too much dark coloring. My work frequently requires a "tactical" element so I justify my tacticool purchases that way.

18. lawmanhdg

lawmanhdg Loaded Pockets

As a police officer, we use the term in a "mall ninja" derogatory way.... it's not a good thing to be tacticool.. lol

OhCanada, Moshe ben David and huntnow like this.
  19. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

What? It’s tactical and cool! How can that be a bad thing? You’re cutting down trees in my emotional forest, lawman. I’m kidding of course. I make every effort not to look like a mall ninja. I much prefer the overprepared, loaded pockets, grayman thing with my tools concealed.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  20. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Something or someone over accessorized beyond necessity

OhCanada and Moshe ben David like this.