1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your choice of 3 gun home defensive battery?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by dmattaponi, May 2, 2018.

1. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

quoted above. stand by for pics.

2. steviesterno

this is a legal SBS (Short Barrel Shotgun). has the tax stamp filed, so I could do shorter than 18" barrel. This is showing a 12.5" barrel and short stock.
    [​IMG]

this one is the same shotgun compared to my SBR, or short barrel rifle. Additional $200 stamp, but it's a 7.5" barrel It's a little longer than it needs to be, since it's already sporting a blast hider. this will be where my suppressor screws in when that's finally approved. Compared to a 1911 for scale.
    [​IMG]

and here's a good video showing the difference in presented length between a pistol and 2 shotguns. Note both of these shown are 18" barrels. So my 12" shotgun or ~8" rifle will be a few inches shorter even still.
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/01/09/long-gun-vs-handgun-home-defense-maneuverability-differences-overblown/

3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Nothing I said was wrong or incorrect in the context of close quarters defense. Quoting group size @ 300 yards has NOTHING to do with close quarters accuracy where almost any reasonable handgun will have the necessary accuracy to hit man-sized targets. Oh & BTW "rain thunderous firepower" is pretty much synonymous for "spray & pray". I think everyone is aware you can pay the treasury tax to own a firearm that is otherwise outlawed. I think it's probably time to put this one to bed & move on. Many, if not most, of the people who belong to this forum are firearms owners & everyone of them probably has a preference and I doubt this discussion will sway many.

4. steviesterno

just correcting where you said rifles weren't more accurate than pistols. and it doesn't really sound like you knew about the taxes since you were swearing up and down what I was talking about was imaginary and illegal. I'm trying to inform the readers of this thread (if any remain) about the facts.

5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

No correction needed. I said (and it is correctly qualified in my original statement). "As to a rifle being more accurate, that is nonsense and largely irrelevant in close quarters". I don't think anyone here defines close quarters as 300 yards (per your rifle accuracy quote). And yes, I think everyone who is familiar with firearms knows you can own a machine gun or other similar weapons pursuant to being a LEO or paying the Treasury Tax to possess one. The fact that relatively few do so still makes them de facto not available to the broad public.

6. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

How about un-hijacking the OP's thread and get back to letting people posts pictures of their choices for home defense without any criticism?

If you want to argue about which weapon is best, start your own thread.

7. steviesterno

good call. Here's a pic of my current 3 gun HD battery. Literally what's loaded up and ready to rock at the moment.
    Only difference is that the operator has it's regular barrel in it, and a light. Weird the top 2 are illegal but don't tell NSA about it, if you don't mind.
    [​IMG]

8. TakeDeadAim

TakeDeadAim Loaded Pockets

People's reaction to this is both sad and funny at the same time. Would anyone argue with the idea that the best solution to a gun fight is to avoid it? So maintain situational awareness at all times, stay away from dangerous areas, lock your doors, don't open your door for people you don't know, don't carry your child and a gun to confront a threat (animal or human), don't leave cover and concealment (like your locked home), to confront a threat. When all else fails have rapidly available a weapon you feel comfortable with. Discuss scenario's and a plan with your family on where to hide, contacting law enforcement and how they can protect themselves in their hiding place. I personally don't care what weapon you choose but if your plan is to get your weapon from a drawer, another room, a safe, your car, re-think your plan. Violent encounters occur in fractions of seconds and at distances measured in feet not yards. I live in a rural area as well. For me the gun I grab is the one I take off my belt and put next to the bed, with the extra magazine, a flashlight and my phone. My wife is similarly equipped. Please look at this article https://www.usacarry.com/home-defense-plan/ My comments specifically address what one has immediately available to protect themselves and their family from an imminent threat in their home.

DSRacing likes this.
  9. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Yes, and I’m sure everyone here who has given the subject any real thought has already come to terms with all of above, as its par for the course. I’m just a little confused as to its relevance in regard to selecting a few firearms to meet ones perceived home defense/protection? No, I’m not gonna wear an AR15 around the house, but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t come in handy in a defensive situation. Same for a shotgun, or a handgun kept in a home. Pontificating is one thing, reality is another. I asked a simple question at the beginning of this thread. If someone reads it, and doesn’t want to play along, that’s okay, they hopefully can find something else to do. For those who did contribute relevant comments and responses, thanks, I’ve enjoyed reading about your choices.

On a different subject, that was a good article you linked above. It is an interesting subject in itself. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#69 dmattaponi, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  10. TakeDeadAim

TakeDeadAim Loaded Pockets

The points I raised are relevant because each one was brought up by someone in response to either your post or my initial response to it. Given that I'm not sure everyone has considered these things and thus my reason for posting yet another response and the link to the article. My point from the beginning has been to get people thinking about these questions because I believe a well thought plan and thinking through how you would respond to a violent threat in your home is important in determining what type of weapon(s) are best for your situation, as is where they will be kept and under which situations you are comfortable using them. I think too often people get tied up in looking for the perfect gun or guns instead of spending time on the security of one's home and family, getting training if needed and remaining vigilant in your practice of situational awareness Lets face it, there are many good guns on the market. Having one gun you can afford, are well trained on and maintain proficiency with. That in conjunction with adequate and well thought out physical security that is practiced and frequently evaluated is perhaps the best defensive battery.

DSRacing and dmattaponi like this.