1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your choice of 3 gun home defensive battery?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by dmattaponi, May 2, 2018.

1. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

The term "assault rifle" as commonly used In the USA certainly has a definition which exists in several codified statutes around the Country. It also has a common language definition which we all know or ( at least) should know. It doesn't make a darn bit of difference what the Germans said about the STG44 during the world wars and it doesn't really matter that some people do not agree with the AR, AK variants and similar semi-automatic rifles being referred to as "assault weapons/rifles". Personal sentiment aside, the fact of the matter is that in many places within this Country AR/AK variants as well as many other similar semi auto rifles are considered "assault weapons". Reality is sometimes a hard truth.

silent_vengeance likes this.
  2. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

As far as having a "Battery" of self defense guns.. I don't really accept the premise. Should I find myself thrust into a armed conflict, I will likely enter into and end with a very singular weapon. The idea of fighting your way to a rifle or transitioning from this weapon to that, is probably not how its going to go down. Most firearm related SD actions which occur in the home are typically over in a matter or 4- 6 seconds from the onset of violence. I decided long ago that a handgun is the most wieldy in close quarters is the also the easiest to physically retain should a struggle over the weapon occur. To that end, I will have a Browning HiPower 9mm to defend my home and my wife has her Weatherby 20ga pump. My nightstand gun will change from time to time but more often than not, its the Browning HP.

To those who mentioned an "assault rifle", it would certainly do the job of home defense but my vision of a "Rifle" is a distance weapon, not one that I am going to use within 20 feet. Additionally, a 16-20 in barrel is a fairly large instrument of leverage against you if someone should happen to get a hold of it. Add a sling and now you have a very large item of leverage and a noose around your body. Its not so bad if you have the luxury of having a small team with you but generally speaking, if its close quarters... No thanks.

3. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I don't know that I NEED the AR next to my bed, but it's my option to keep it there and I want it there. some people (like me) are very well trained on them and shoot them better/faster/more accurately than a pistol. and I'm :censored: good with a pistol. I don't know what the situation may call for, but I want to only think about grabbing one thing that solves a number of problems. Here where I am the single burglar might be the most realistic problem, but wouldn't hurt to be prepared for a few. We also have wild animals, coyotes, snakes, occasionally dogs or groups of dogs. My AR is well equipped to handle any of those situations within about 100 yards or so of my house. I can shoot it one handed. I can hold my son while I carry/use it. I can more easily hit things moving at speed. I have enough ammo on board to contend with anything I expect, and the ammo works for my risk assessment. If I knew I was going into harm's way I would drop the nicest pistol in the world for a chance at a decent/reliable rifle. Rifles have more power, range, accuracy, etc than pistols. And since it's in my house, I don't have to worry about hiding it in my pants.

if you don't want to keep a long gun handy, fine, don't, I have no qualms with what you do. don't give me crap for what I decide to do.[/QUOTE]

Hear, hear!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pinehtr likes this.
  4. bruno_go

bruno_go Loaded Pockets

1) Glock 17 or FN 509 or CZ P10 or Walther Creed (budget option);
    2) Remington 870 or Mossberg 930 (with extender);
    3) BCM M4 16" barrel 5,56;

dmattaponi likes this.
  5. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

true, but that's not the only definition of a rifle. mine has a 7" barrel and shoots 300BO. it is just under 24" long, and tucked into my shoulder it's actually a smaller and less grab-able package than me with a pistol sticking out. Also it's easier to retain something I have both hands on and a shoulder, and if anybody grabs it I'm just going to pull the trigger until they stop.

I think a big thing is the lay out of your house. I have a 2 story and a good spot at the top of the stairs. I can be there, everybody in my family is behind me, and I have a good view of the doors and windows. You can't sneak up close either.

dmattaponi likes this.
  6. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

You're kidding yourself or you're naive. It's just as easily grabbed as a pistol, yet is bulkier. You can use two hands on a pistol & you can pull it back out of reach. A pistol is THE close quarters weapon...all you have in reality is a pistol with a stock--which essentially REQUIRES 2 HANDS...which, of course is a liability. A pistol can be wielded by both or either hands...which comes into play when a barrier can protect your body while firing one-handed around said barrier. Try firing a rifle in close quarters if you've been shot in an arm & see how well that works. A pistol can be readily switched to the good arm/hand.

7. FilthyJ24

FilthyJ24 Loaded Pockets

Glock is department issued and stays in my locker except for weekends. The rifle comes home with me after every shift and the revolver and blade are always within arms reach on and off duty. I'm planning on getting a Glock 43x as soon as they come factory with a black slide as a primary off duty edc. My wife's shield 2.0, a few magazines, speed loaders and a couple flashlights (Fenix pd35 and Walmart cheapo) are in the night stand beside the bed. I work third shift so I deal with the things that go bump in the night directly. I've been eyeballing shot guns lately but haven't decided what I want. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

dmattaponi and MCPOWoller like this.
  8. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

delete.. I misread oops

#48 Telstar, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  9. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

Photo of all three together,

Remington 870
    Aero Precision 300 BO
    Glock 27
    [​IMG]

10. dmattaponi

Maybe I should clarify a little. Yes, I specifically said “home defense” 3 gun battery, but within those words I imagined a wide range of possibilities, and I didn’t mean to insinuate using one gun to fight to another. Just whatever each person considers useful to cover their own individual bases. I simply meant 3 individual guns/types that you might choose for any number of home defense scenarios, within the realm of possibilities considering each of our own house types, size, surrounding property, etc. This post was intended to be thought provoking and fun, nothing more.

Depending on the scenario, I might choose one type of firearm over another, and since that scenario could easily vary one time to another, I think having a few choices tailored to the possibilities could be useful. There are definitely scenarios where I would choose a handgun, others where I would prefer a shotgun, and still others that I’d like a rifle. I recognize the real world might not always permit me time to choose between the three, but if it does, I like options.

Truth be told, I live in a rural area where people can still leave their car keys in their car ignition overnight, and their house doors unlocked with little fear of theft, or breaking in, BUT I also live in a natural world where you just never know what could happen, and so although I don’t feel the need to relocate, I do think it’s wise to recognize that people are people wherever you go, and world history speaks for itself, when it comes to the nature of people...so considering a high capacity longarm as part of a home defense plan, is not unusual, or even suggestive of whatever TDA might envision while typing his opinion on a persons neighborhood above.

#50 dmattaponi, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    DSRacing likes this.
  11. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

Home defense? I would draw my Ruger SR9c with the 10rd mag. If I am in my daytime clothes I have an extra 17rd mag on me. Nighttime the extra 17rd mag is in the upstairs bathroom with the holster.

If I am upstairs the next thing I grab would be the other Ruger S9c with the 17rd mag in the bedside safe with the Fenix PD35vn flashlight.

If I feel the need for more or I am downstairs the first 2 firearms when you open the gun safe are the Mossberg 500 Persuader with a Streamlight TLR-1. Right next to it is the Bushmaster AR-15 with the same light and other stuff. They are right inside the door, ready to grab.

dmattaponi likes this.
  12. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

In the spirit of a very generalized home defense effort, I have a house-gun (one) that remains outside the safe. It doesn't matter what variety of home defense scenario is imagined.. I have one weapon to answer it. I don't treat this stuff like rocket science and I am no fan--boy. I selected the 9mm handgun as my HD weapon many decades ago, I have invested in that platform, trained in its use and I do no handwringing over the matter. My HD gun is a Browning Hi Power with no frills. I own other weapons which remain in the safe but I do not have a home defense "battery".

dmattaponi and Elmiro Dungfoot like this.
  13. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

Please tell me the name or model of knife you have in the photo.

14. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

It depends on what your proficient, and comfortable with. For home, I also employ the ubiquitous Hi-Power as my primary defensive weapon. Fourteen rounds of 124-gr. 9mm Luger should be sufficient for any 'threat', that I could possibly imagine. For a 'higher threat level' their are other options at my disposal.

[​IMG]

ran23 and dmattaponi like this.
  15. dmattaponi

Makes sense to me. Thanks for sharing.

16. dmattaponi

This makes sense too :). Not to mention the Hi Power is a beaut!

Elmiro Dungfoot likes this.
  17. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

FilthyJ24... you might look at a couple of the Clint Smith (Thunder Ranch) shotgun videos on youtube.. he typically recommends a pump 12ga with hard plastic side saddle for extra loads, a sling (a shotgun holster) and a good LED weapons light...

18. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I'd love to see him try to maneuver in some of the places in my house with a shotgun--even a short barrelled one...good luck with that. If you're working in wide open spaces, almost any firearm will work, but not in close quarters.

19. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

I'm neither kidding nor naive. I'm actually very well versed and trained. the pistol is NOT the close quarter weapon of choice for anyone that has to go into harms way. Military, SWAT, Police, etc use short rifles. Usually in rifle caliber not 9mm unless they have old MP5s or similar. A rifle is more powerful, more accurate, and stops fights faster than a pistol. My rifle is 23" long. I can shoot it with either hand pretty easily, switch shoulder to shoulder and go around corners, and tucked into my shoulder and barrel straight out it reaches where my watch would be with a pistol in my hands at full extension, so it's a good foot shorter (for me) at the ready than me with a pistol out. I can easily tuck it low as well.

if my house was much much tighter in the corners, I may think otherwise. If I needed a ballistic shield like you're talking about, yeah maybe a pistol. But otherwise you are very wrong. My plan does not really fall back into shooting weakhand after I shot. My plan is rain thunderous firepower with an overwhelming advantage. I have the choice of 30-60 rounds of the ballistic equivalent of 45acp. Or the same number of rounds with AK (and some armor piercing) ballistics.

Pistols are really great for always having one on you. Like in the grocery store or at work. the rifle is a better fighting weapon. If you want, I will happily host you at my local range and we can compete, head to head, you take your pistol and I'll take my rifle. Same courses of fire. And unless your last name is Miculek I will bet you $100 that not only do I beat you, but with minimal training I can get you to beat your pistol time.

20. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

While rifle rounds are definitely more powerful, (as is a stick of TNT, but that doesn't qualify it as a "defense weapon") they bring with them the likelihood of over-penetration in home defense situations. If your plan is "rain thunderous firepower" (aka spray & pray), you obviously are NOT well versed or trained and ignores that your adversary might to able to do likewise. Even those who are "trained" can panic in real events. I went to school with the former Chief of Police in my home town. While he was "trained", he found out that real life encounters don't necessarily play out as intended. He pulled over a man who proceeded to begin firing at him with both a 9mm and .22 LR handgun. My friend tried to use the patrol car as a shield while the assailant chased him around it, firing as he went. In his panic my friend could only think of getting to the shotgun in the rack in his cruiser--momentarily losing sight of the fact he had a Browning Hi-Power in his holster. The encounter ended after my friend was finally able to get the shotgun and fire two rounds at the assailant. It was a very unnerving experience for my friend. That evening as he took off his boots, he noticed there was a .22 LR bullet lodged in the heel of his boot. As to a rifle being more accurate, that is nonsense and largely irrelevant in close quarters. SWAT & military do in fact use short barreled shoulder fired weapons...which are not legal for civilians to own. Minimum barrel length for rifles for civilian use is 16". When you add in stock & action length, the end result is a gun quite a bit longer than the 23" you purport for your weapon. I am, in fact, confident that in any real-life simulation of a home invasion scenario, a rifle offers no real advantage, only disadvantages in wielding it. I own rifles, handguns, and shotguns and have great respect for what each can do. Handguns exist for and excel at close-quarters defense. The object of successful defense is to land the first round that counts--not empty a high-capacity mag in the general direction.