1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your choice of 3 gun home defensive battery?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by dmattaponi, May 2, 2018.

1. PhrankKastle

PhrankKastle Loaded Pockets

Pistol: Sig P320 compact with 147gr Gold Dot this was doing double duty as my edc and then HD at night but my Sig P365 has replaced the P320 as my edc carry.

Rifle: Ruger Carbine w/33rd Glock Mag with 147 Gold Dot

Shotgun: Mossberg 590 Shockwave w 00 Buck, this is a new addition to my HD replacing my 590a1. In my home there's not a potential shot longer than 12 yards and I'll admit the close quarter handling of the shockwave shocked the hell out of me but it handles like a champ.

dmattaponi likes this.
  2. TakeDeadAim

TakeDeadAim Loaded Pockets

Whats your threat for home defense? If you live in a neighborhood that would require rapid, as in 30 seconds or less, access to an assault rifle I would suggest moving. In reality I see home defense as some dirtbag being stupid enough to attempt to break in when Im home. In that case I need to be honest and figure that may be when Im in bed so what I can grab fast is my carry gun and compact flashlight, which resides next to the bed when not on me. For me, and my wife, these are guns we are confident in, have received 100 plus hours of training in the use of, and maintain that level of ability with. What I recommend to people when asked is to have a weapon that meets that criteria for them available to them whenever they may need it.

Do I have 3 guns I might want if civil unrest breaks out, you bet! I don't see the need for a quick lock rack with a loaded AR and 890 in it as decor in my bedroom.

3. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I had fun looking up the Ruger 9 mm carbine.

4. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

Re: assault rifle, no one said anything about a select fire rifle, stop validating the misuse of that description, there's already enough misinformation out there. Just because Webster's dictionary bought into the hype, doesn't make it true.

Dirtbags have evolved, they don't come alone and why not use the most effective weapon available to you for possible multiple attackers? To your first statement I bolded, this is Alamogordo, NM in the video below. Home to Holloman Air force base and White Sands missile range, a city of roughly 31K people and a large majority of that are enlisted or civilian base personnel. Note there are four perps, three clearly armed, two of which have long guns. This is not Compton or south side Chiraq (Chicago). Crime statistically is 47% lower there than the rest of the state. This home owner is beyond lucky these people weren't 100% committed to their crime.

Again, just because it's a rifle doesn't make it unsuitable for the job at hand and a well to do community is a prime target for violence, at any level, because complacency makes people lazy and prime targets.

Last edited by patientcero, May 14, 2018
    #24 patientcero, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
  5. TakeDeadAim

First off the definition, (Websters) of Assault Rifle includes semi automatic weapons and has, by the NRA, been extended to include guns like the Winchester model 94, a lever gun so take a deep breath.

In the clip you supplied the person opened the door, Im guessing to a stranger, at night, and unarmed. For your information I have been in that situation and protected my family by not opening the door and answering the door armed. Situational awareness will save your life over long gun any day. If this is happening in this "quiet little town" then I would direct you to the first statement in my initial post. I would also suggest that the presence of a military base and military personal has no bearing on a community's safety. Just because people are enlisted or work on a base does not mean they have weapons in their home or practice good situational awareness on or off base. I seem to recall multiple people killed on a base by one nut case with a gun. There were very few people on base with access to weapons and or ammunition if you read the after action report on that one. The former police chief in a town near me shot himself in the leg playing with his gun at his desk. I would say at that point the middle of the police station was not a safe place.

In the case of the young man who used his fathers AR-15 to defend himself and his sister, it was the weapon he had access to, the one his father had taught him to use in case of emergency. I would suspect had he been taught to use a Glock 17 the same result would have been possible.

The initial question was what three guns battery for home defense. I stand by my posting that if you need to have a handgun, and two long guns at the ready in your home you might consider moving. I emphatically did not say don't own those guns. My point is simple; A) you can't carry all three with you. B) What you don't have in hand against someone who does have a weapon in hand is of little use. ie; a shotgun in the closet or next to the bed would not have helped the person who opened the door to someone and situation they did not know. C) Before you get all excited re-read my post; Hint, the part where I suggest you decide on a weapon you and your family are comfortable, confident and proficient with and have THAT weapon at hand.

6. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Nightstand has a Springfield TRP Operator with Surefire X300U-A.

Beside bed is a suppressed. 300blk SBR

7. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

My first line of defense is an S&W 642 in my front pocket of I'm dressed or on the table next to me if I'm sitting in the living room.y nightstand gun is a M65 loaded with 158 great LSWCHP and I have a Mossberg 500 loaded with buckshot if needed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

dmattaponi likes this.
  8. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

Speaking of re-reading, give it a whirl as my post was addressing ONLY your blanket statement regarding "assault rifles." Hence why I only put that specific text of your reply in bold. I already stated the flawed Websters cave to political correctness in my reply (with their adoption) regarding the semi-auto "military looking" rifles being classified as assault weapons in definition. ;) To your support of their fallacy and referencing the model 94 in the argument, sure it's an assault weapon, in the context of the late 1800's or Gerry Michalek taking a run with it in present times. But way to take the Guns America article (4/2018) out of context, unless you were referencing the present Wikipedia definition, which is definitely known for it's wealth of truthful information. :rofl: Again, assuming someones "need" of an assault rifle, semi auto rifle, or bolt action rifle as a choice or preferred method to defend their home does not dictate the need to relocate as you so eloquently suggested.

dmattaponi likes this.
  9. TakeDeadAim

You can call an AR a cheeseburger as far as Im concerned, the second amendment allows citizens to own them; period end of story. Again take a deep breath and read what I wrote. NO WHERE did I challenge the ownership of any type, caliber or size of weapon, number of rounds etc etc.

If you want to live in a place where you feel the need to keep a loaded long gun at the ready, raise your family there go ahead. My position will remain the same. Avoid the fight when you can and take it to them when you have to. Ive spent 30 years of my life in defense of the freedoms offered by citizenship in this country so please don't suggest I don't support them.

As for your thinly veiled sarcasm and false patronizing statements; I don't appreciate them.

jcombs likes this.
  10. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

[QUOTE="TakeDeadAim, If you want to live in a place where you feel the need to keep a loaded long gun at the ready, raise your family there go ahead.[/QUOTE]
    I don't know that I NEED the AR next to my bed, but it's my option to keep it there and I want it there. some people (like me) are very well trained on them and shoot them better/faster/more accurately than a pistol. and I'm :censored: good with a pistol. I don't know what the situation may call for, but I want to only think about grabbing one thing that solves a number of problems. Here where I am the single burglar might be the most realistic problem, but wouldn't hurt to be prepared for a few. We also have wild animals, coyotes, snakes, occasionally dogs or groups of dogs. My AR is well equipped to handle any of those situations within about 100 yards or so of my house. I can shoot it one handed. I can hold my son while I carry/use it. I can more easily hit things moving at speed. I have enough ammo on board to contend with anything I expect, and the ammo works for my risk assessment. If I knew I was going into harm's way I would drop the nicest pistol in the world for a chance at a decent/reliable rifle. Rifles have more power, range, accuracy, etc than pistols. And since it's in my house, I don't have to worry about hiding it in my pants.

if you don't want to keep a long gun handy, fine, don't, I have no qualms with what you do. don't give me crap for what I decide to do.

11. TakeDeadAim

Original post was not asking about defending against dogs or going into harms way. It asked about home defense, not an aggression against wild animals. There is a big difference between fending off an intruder into your home vs. problems with wild animals outside your home.

Finally and hopefully for the last time I emphatically did not give anyone "crap" for what they choose to own or use. I made a point that hopefully made some people think about threat assessment and situational awareness.

12. litework

litework Loaded Pockets

I think you're getting a hard time because of your original statement that implied fast access to a rifle was excessive, not the things you said later about situational awareness - which I think were pretty spot on.

13. TakeDeadAim

I never said it was excessive, ever

14. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Glock 19 & 26. Pump Action Shotgun. Plus 2 baseball bats.

15. Craig Grabowsky

Craig Grabowsky Loaded Pockets

Three guns:
    EAA Witness Compact-10mm
    Hi Point Carbine-10mm
    Savage over/under 22/20 ga
    or
    Four guns:
    EAA Witness Compact-10mm
    Hi Point Carbine-10mm
    Mossberg pump-20ga
    Ruger 10/22 takedown-22

16. Sutty33

Sutty33 Loaded Pockets

Well , Let’s see ........
    I guess initially ... Winchester Mod 97 Trench (Slam Fire) 12ga.. Secondary...Daniel Defense DD9V11 w/ Aimpont and Surefire Blast Warden ......Tertiary... Hk VP9 or SW Mod 57 41mag

17. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

M1 Super90 x3

18. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

as I've grown older and arguably more frail and fit the profile of a potential victim, I've begun to appreciate Clint Smith's observations.... my background is in USPSA pistol (Limited M) and 3 gun competition (I made the top 50 at Ft Benning as a 60+ year old a couple of times) and for 35 years my shooting has always been competition oriented, building gun handling skills, but not actual personal protection training....membership at a local high end shooting range has an interactive simulator as part of the package, and have the ability to train with dynamic shoot or no shoot situations in which the computer operator has the ability to process the simulator to respond to your verbal commands...such a training has been an eye opener... but back to Clint, and the topic... I have replaced the shotgun/firearm with a, for me, much lighter option of a 10" AR with good light and my daily carryG43.... but what I want to emphasize is the additional need for a hand held P60 size light, and some way to carry the firearms hands free .. sling for the long gun, and belt/holster or a sling pack for a pistol...you may want to include some trauma supplies if you choose the sling bag route, as I did... I am on the "call" list for my neighbor's alarm company, and have been at that location on several occasions when the local officers arrive, and like to have a non threatening profile... regards Les

19. Sinkhole

Sinkhole Loaded Pockets

My 3 are as follows.
    1. FNH FNX-9 with Streamlight TLR-3
    2. Mossberg 590A1 with Magpul furniture
    3. Ruger PC Cabine with KVP Linear Comp and Vortex Venom.

20. CL01

CL01 Loaded Pockets

For me it'd be:

1. Glock 19.
    2. A 12 ga shotgun (Currently a semi-auto, but a pump would be fine, too).
    3. A FAL rifle, but an AR-15 would be fine, too.

ran23 likes this.