1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your Choice Carry On Bag/Luggage?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by My3kidsfather, Jun 27, 2016.

1. My3kidsfather

My3kidsfather Loaded Pockets

Last summer Vera and I headed out to the mountains as usual for vacation and my cheap carry-on style luggage was dismal to travel with. I want a good carry-on bag that will last for the rest of my possible life.

So maxpedition has a new tactical rolling carry-on luggage bag, and 5.11 has a bag called the DC fLT line. What bag are you carrying on to flights and why? I prefer pockets, good zippers, etc.

2. mbakes

mbakes Loaded Pockets

I do not like roller bags so I use a Red Oxx Sky Train. Just used in on a 2 week trip to Italy. Has backpack straps that can be stowed if not used and the Claw shoulder strap that works great and is comfortable. My wife wanted something a bit bigger so she used an Osprey Porter 46.

3. My3kidsfather

Thanks for the info, I just realized I do want a roller bag. I have been carrying a 5.11 courier bag for over a year now, and it is all I want on my shoulder.

4. holygoat

holygoat Loaded Pockets

For cases, nothing beats Briggs & Riley; spinner or upright. I have an international widebody spinner that I use as checked luggage, because I usually one-bag it with a TriStar. If you must have hard shell, consider a Pelican Air (1535).

My3kidsfather likes this.
  5. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Refactor Tactical ASO bag. I just took it on its first flight travel (has already proved useful for many driving road trips). It did great. It's sized to meet the maximum carry-on. I was never forced to check it, even when almost every other bag was being made to. It fit perfectly into the overhead bins of the large and small planes alike. Has more organization in it than you could ever need. And has the option to cray it like a regular duffle or removable shoulder straps to wear it as a backpack if you'd prefer. In short, highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. xrayit

xrayit Loaded Pockets

I have been using a Briggs & Riley for 20 years, thousands of flights for business, other than the coating worn off the handle mounts no issues at all. Perfect roller.

7. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

As long as I'm able, I'll never have a roller carry on bag. I've done too many mad dashes through airports to wheel something behind me.

I've been using Land's End Bags but the style is out of production.

8. Sao
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sao Loaded Pockets

My last flight was from the UK to Amsterdam to the US and I used my TAD Fastpack as my carry on.

9. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

Don't know what your budget is, but the new TAD Meridian Transport case looks very good.

10. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

I've used a GR2 for my last couple of trips and it's a great bag - good size, lots of organization, fits easily in the overheads and carries well. Briggs and Riley is outstanding, not cheap, but an excellent value - a no brainer for business travel.

Not a fan of rolling bags.

11. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

Not much in terms of pockets for organisation but I use various pouches/cubes in my north face base camp, the small size in perfect for carry on, mine is over 10 years old now used for 20-30 flights a year and still looks superb. It's now available in a whole manner of colours mine is red/black, carry as ruck, duffle or extend one of the straps out to carry in an across the body style. Working a lot in offshore oil it's been thrown round by heli crew who are like normal baggage handlers with an evil steroid rage streak :), if I lost mine I'd replace it like for like the same day

graham_s, sungame and My3kidsfather like this.
  12. My3kidsfather

Lots of good suggestions guys thanks. It's going to take a while to research them all.

Just a comment, I do not fly as much as some of you do, and slower is my pace these days. Tough is good, and I prefer the wheels. L:)

gnarley.jeep84 likes this.
  13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I usually take a Pelican 1510 which is their maximum carry on sized roller case.
    I can check it with complete confidence or carry it on depending on my load and the room in the plane.
    Nothing is going to destroy the contents that is a normal happening at the Airports or in Transit and it makes a great wheeled platform for whatever other bag you like to carry.

Usually it will be my TriStar or more recently the Fleigerduffel? both of which will for overhead and are great flexible and well made bags.

The Pelican are small but mighty!
    They are also ATA approved for transport.

If I was buying more conventional luggage it would be Briggs though for sure!

14. Brit1664

Brit1664 Loaded Pockets

Seconded for GR2, great bag. Wouldn't be seen dead with things with wheels. Its the only goruck I own with out pouches so I can use it on planes. It doesn't look too military, lots of organisations and if you can get a second hand one you get the compression straps on the side.

15. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

Just seen they do a rolling north face

http://www.thenorthface.co.uk/tnf-uk-en/rolling-thunder-19-luggage/p104179.html

I haven't used this one but I do have the original rolling thunder 120l, again over 10 years old which traveled all over the world as my suitcase and then became my dive bag being thrown about boats etc aside from having to wax the Zips occasionally due to sea water it's still going strong if this is built similar you'd have no troubles with it.

16. r_seng

r_seng Empty Pockets

My last trips from US to Korea to all over Thailand were accompanied by my rush 12. serves great as an EDC / travel bag. Recently purchased an MR ASAP for my more adventurous trips, camping / hiking. I'm curious to try it traveling internationally though, see if I like it for that use.

17. klepto

klepto Loaded Pockets

I use an Aeronaut 45, its perfect for organizing clothing and other things. Also, you can use it as a backpack, shoulder strap or use the handle. I bought it a while back and I am very much pleased with it. I bought some packing cubes also which are very useful.

18. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I used to travel a lot and own lots of wheeled and/or convertible backpacks. Not sure if backpack straps are still important after your wheels requirement, but both where on my priority list.

The best carry on bags I found that had serious wheels and backpack harnesses are the Osprey 22" Meridan and Ozone convertibles.

Both have real weight bearing hip belts, large wheels, and detectable day pack. The Meridian (what I bought) is a bit larger and more heavy duty, while the Ozone is built for lighter weight. Osprey's warranty is lifetime.

The combination of a good wheely and good backpack harness will of course impact cost, weight and interior volume. I do wheel most of the time, but when I need the backpack, I really appreciate the full true harness on the Osprey.

My3kidsfather and Henryhoover like this.
  19. croll326

croll326 Loaded Pockets

My 32L GORUCK kit bag GR1 combo has worked well. Kit bag goes overhead and GR1 under the seat in front of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I have the same bag, absolutely bomb proof.
    No organisation to speak of, but nothing to go wrong either.
    There is a reason Base Camp Duffels are used so widely by people who travel to inhospitable places.

Henryhoover likes this.