1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Your beater light(s) AA & AAA please

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by zenlunatic, Mar 5, 2009.

1. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

I'm moving into the realm of 123 lights for various reasons. I still have a ton of Eneloops though, and I was just wondering what beater lights you guys recommend. I'm gonna research 123 lights, but I don't feel okay carrying around unreliable lights which my current seems to be... you guys know the feeling. So I'll probably get a surefire or something moderately high-end, but as 123 primaries are expensive I need a guilt-free NiMH powered beater, or two to keep my eneloops company and cut down on 123 usage. :-X I know... just go to target, walmart, sears...

2. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

Re: Your beater light(s)

well, one of my beater lights is a cr123... it's called the Dorcy Spyder

Not sure if you can still get them but i picked up 3 of them a few years back for $16.99 each (considering it comes with the 2 batts, that's not a bad deal at all!). really rugged, takes a beating. nylon sheath works remarkably well. 120 lumens (or so it says). Definitely brighter than my SF E1E and A2

if you can track one down on the interweb or in stores, go for it.

3. Caveman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Caveman Loaded Pockets

"unreliable lights which my current seems to be..."
    Might we ask which this one is? :winkwink:

4. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure how high end your looking to go, and what size your looking for, but as far as 123s go, i have three surefires and a fenix T1, all that use two 123s, the thing that i don't like about the surefires is that they drain the batteries in just over a hour, besides the led one, that has 90 lumen's, but the fenix, it has two levels of output normal at 60 lumen's that last for ten hours, and turbo at 225 lumen's that will last 2 hours, that is one of the reasons i liked it, besides that i still have the original batts in it, and have gone threw 30 with the surefires, its waterproof, has a pocket clip and comes with nylon holster extra tailcap cover, o-rings, and lanyard, the other thing i liked is it is solid, i mean solid,,, its a little heavy, due to the head of the unit, because it is made to be a defence tool, also for the theory of 123s, since its led you can use rechargeable ones due to the higher volts, the led will handle it, and if you don't want to use re chargables, the cost of regular 123's isn't much unless you keep it in turbo, and ill advise that you don't need to, i lit up a tree line 300ft away, heres a link with more data if interested, any other questions just write back,,, JR http://cpfreviews.com/Fenix-T1-Tactical.php

5. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

Having problems with my Fenix LD10. Using lithiums seems to work okay so far.

6. coyote

coyote Loaded Pockets

the Fenix LD01 is dandy.

another even less expensive AAA consideration is the Streamlight Microstream.

7. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

8. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I have a CMG Infinity that takes a single AA battery. Decent run time, reasonably bright for what it gets used for around the house - checking on the kids before I head to bed, looking for lost Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars under the fridge, etc...

9. kz1000s1

kz1000s1 Loaded Pockets

Mine is a Fenix L2P.

10. STi

STi Empty Pockets

My beater is a Ultrafire A1 Q5 from DX...Keeps my C2H and SS LD01 in good shape.

11. PocketBob

PocketBob Empty Pockets

Put a 10440 (AAA) 3.7 volt cell in a Fenix LD01 and that makes a great beater light with great output. I like it because I can carry in comfortably in dress slacks.

12. bmitchell

bmitchell Empty Pockets

I've got a Garrity from Wal-Mart that I bought around Christmas 2007.
    It's got one LED with a nice lens and has great dispersion and range.
    I haven't changed the batteries on it yet and I use it probably several times a week.
    For what it's worth.

ETA: The case wore out within the first month, and the light wore a hole in my jacket pocket, but it has been in my work pants pocket for a year and seems fine there.

Ben

13. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

aaa - fenix EO1
    aa - gerber infinity

I like the gerber's clip in that it can be slid onto the brim of a ball cap to make it a head lamp...not usefull for walking in the dark, but darn handy for working in it. Both are more or less short range lights, which is what my back-ups are for.

14. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

Arc AAA

[img width=640 height=426]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l276/DeathLarsen/_MG_2305.jpg[/img]

15. ajacobs

ajacobs Loaded Pockets

My beater is a AA nitecore. Smart pd or whatever it is called.

16. ewenit

ewenit Empty Pockets

AAA-Fenix L0D

17. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I don't know if "beater" means cheap or beaten because of use. My cheap AA light is a River Rock from Target. Not bad for the money and acceptably bright. My most heavliy used lights are a Nitecore Smart PD and a Fenix single AA.

18. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I don't have any "beater" lights, just those that don't get as much lovin' as my others :laugh:

But I have three or four Mini-Maglites that are floating around in cars and toolboxes that show their age...but they work everytime O0

19. rlocock

rlocock Empty Pockets

AA & AAA maglites cheap to replace.

20. lambdadao

lambdadao Loaded Pockets

I have a few Fenix E01's scattered about the house. My daily carry is an Arc AAA which still looks practically brand new.