1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

YOU WANT THE LOOK! But Not The Price?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by MinorCuts, Jun 6, 2008.

1. MinorCuts

MinorCuts Empty Pockets

OK, now this is definitely the "Poor Man's Rolex".

The Real Deal: Rolex Sea Dweller: New $5,950.00
    [img width=640 height=591]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/pkdmslf/RolexSeaDweller.jpg[/img]

The "Poor Man's Sea Dweller". Timex Men's Dress Watch With Metal Band Model: T297819J New $65.00
    [img width=640 height=591]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/pkdmslf/Timex.jpg[/img]

And now for the kicker.... according to several watch articles in nationwide and national watch magazines, the Timex quartz action is more accurate than the Rolex.... and it has IndiGlo.

Now let's see... how would I feel if I lost a real Rolex vs the Timex? How many Timex's could I buy with $6K ? Something to ponder.

2. Mecha04

Mecha04 Loaded Pockets

Wow that is alot of money.

But what I would like is a MTM ops watch

3. Smith357

Smith357 Empty Pockets

It's really not a good comparison, The Rolex has many features the Timex does not, solid steel bracelet and end links, 1000m WR, mechanical so it never needs batteries, et et. A better comparison would be the Rolex Submariner at $5,350, the $500 Debaufre Ocean 1 and the $129 Oreint 2ER00001BA.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

If accuracy and functionality are important to you, watches are not a very fun hobby. A G-Shock should be able to take more damage than any of these mechanical watches.

5. hazard

hazard Loaded Pockets

Most any quartz movement will be more accurate than most any automatic.

6. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I agree that a Timex vs. Rolex is NOT a fair comparison. I actually own a Special Green Ocean 1, and it is an excellent watch. I also own a Tag Heuer as well, and I have been wearing that one for almost 8 years now.

7. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

Invicta has a nice SubMariner lookalike. I'd like to pick one up some day.

8. MandM

MandM Loaded Pockets

Unless you pay the premium for a COSC ceritifed movement (and the price for regular maintenance and recertification)... a quartz watch will always be more accurate. (And even then... it's close. Allegedly... the COSC standard is -4/+6 seconds after a 15 day test... and my non-COSC TAG chronometer keeps time about that well already.)

When I check out new timepieces... it depends on how I'm gonna use it. Quartz watches for timing precision....mechanical watches for their precision engineering. (I love looking through the crystal display back at the mini-workings of my TAG automatic chrono... it's facinating.)

As much as I love my TAG... there's just sometimes when my G-Shock is certainly better suited to the task.

9. alfanator

alfanator Loaded Pockets

The Rolex is actually cheaper than the Timex. One is an asset the other an expense.

All the Timex i have owned were worth nothing after a month of use. All the Rolex I have are worth more than I paid for them and continuing to appreciate in value.

Example
    70s Submariner in the late 90s, used $2500. I could sell it for 3x that today.
    GMT2 used 5 years ago for $2500, today I could sell it for $3500.

I wear all these watches for their intended purposes, diving, travelling etc. so someone is actually paying me to use them. Timex could not do the same :)

10. adorable_harree

adorable_harree Empty Pockets

True... :)

11. MinorCuts

MinorCuts Empty Pockets

Folks, the point of the post....Poor Man's Rolex is just that. Not everyone can afford a Rolex so the the next best thing is to get the look at a cheaper price. I found this Timex that "looks" like a Rolex...thus the looks but not the Rolex cost. I think it fair to say that most people know that a Rolex is more expensive than a Timex. That was not the intent of the post. For someone on a beer budget who wants the champagne look, there's cheaper alternatives. Bottom line, they both tell time and in some cases the Timex keeps better time than a Rolex.

There's a market out there for Seiko PMMM's. (Poor Man's Marine Master). These are the less expensive Seiko Automatic Diver's watches with aftermarket hands, faces, bezels, etc. that mimics the more expensive Marine Master model and they cost several hundred dollars vs the thousands of dollars for an actual Marine Master.

The original post was in the same line but with the Rolex instead of a Seiko Marine Master.

I have a Seiko PMMM and I wear a Traser H3 Super Sport. I can't afford a real Rolex or Marine Master. I like the looks just not the cost.

12. tiktok 22

tiktok 22 Loaded Pockets

I also like this model as a poor mans Rolex.

13. shadeone

shadeone Loaded Pockets

+100000000000 on the invicta 8926.

got one a year or so ago as a watch to wear in the warehouse when i dont want to bash up my omega and i couldnt be happier with it! its even got a see--through back so you can watch stuff tick.
    probably the best $100 +/- mechanical watch you can get. I tihnk the NUMEROUS postings on this watch on a ton of different watch forums agree with me on that.

I dropped a black and grey "Bond" NATO strap on mine and its so lightweight you dont even know its there!

shade

14. Minotaur

Minotaur Loaded Pockets

:censored:!

New watch to add to the new watch list.

Really like the look of the Invicta Men's II Collection Watch #2876.

15. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I wanted a Rolex all my life and when I had the ability to buy one I did. I spent the rest of the time buying watches that looked liked one, but they never quite measured up. I probably spent half of the cost of my Rolex buying imitators.

I also look at the purchase as an investment in the future. There will always be a secondary market for them so if, God forbid, I needed cash I could sell it for a good sized chunk of change. I also look at it as something I can pass along to my son because it will last forever.

Sadly though I have to say, the Timex does keep better time!

16. Ravination

Ravination Empty Pockets

If you guys are looking at getting the current SeaDweller you better make a move since it's being discontinued and replaced by the DeepSea model that Rolex announced at Basel 2008.

[img width=477 height=640]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Ravination/SEA-DWELLER-DEEPSEA_1.jpg[/img]

17. SilentK

SilentK Empty Pockets

WOW! 12800 feet water proof! your head would probably explode before you got anywhere near that depth. I would say that if you could aford it while not pushing off bills or your family, then go for it. if i had the money laying around, i would get it. :winkwink:

18. carlo$

carlo$ Loaded Pockets

i dont like quartz watches. you have to replace the battery. eco-drive are the best, second by mechanical automatics.

19. Angry Scientist

Angry Scientist Empty Pockets

wow, there are literally hundreds of submariner look alikes for any budget. i own many of them, and surprisingly, many of them are very good for an affordable price.

i must confess i just pulled the trigger and bought myself a sea dweller, which i have been lusting after for years. it is truly a remarkable machine.

most notably it is a watch that will last me forever, which is what i was after. no one is ever going to send a $200 invicta to get serviced when it breaks after a century or so. rolex stands behind their timepieces and will service them indefinitely. this watch will be something handed down in the family for many years to come, hopefully.

20. mrichelo

mrichelo Loaded Pockets

Seiko SKX031

[​IMG]