1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

You might not have thought of this one...new CC pistol to consider!

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Sproles, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Sproles

Sproles Loaded Pockets

OK - just went through what many of you are wrestling with. I was needing a new slimline 9mm conceal gun and did not want a pocket pistol. Here were my needs and the guns I looked at and my decision:

Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm
    Walther PPS 9mm
    Sig P938
    Springfield XDs .45
    Glock single stack .45
    Ruger LC9
    Kahr (various models) 9mm
    Beretta Nano 9mm
    Diamond Back 9mm (didn't take long on that one!)
    Bersa BP9cc

I ended up with the Bersa! Here is why.
    I LOVE Kahrs and how they point. Used to own one, but it was the K9 and it was a bit too heavy for EDC CC.
    I am not a huge fan of the Glock, except for their overall reliability.
    I LOVED the Shield, but good luck finding one these days.
    The Walther and the Shield are SO incredibly close, but the price difference for the Walther was painful.
    Loved the Sig, but was not completely sold on the 1911 format, and the price.

When I was about to hold off, the owner of the store - a good friend of mine (and if I mentioned the family name, anyone who knows anything about firearms would know who I am talking about) said, "Sproles, don't leave until you look at the Bersa. I know, I know, 'Bersa' right? Trust me and look at it."

Well, sure enough, I picked it up and it pointed and felt just like a Kahr.
    The trigger? The best out of the box DAO trigger I think I have ever felt. The reset is one of the shortest I have ever tested - even shorter than the H&K LEO trigger...which is dag-um short!
    As slim (within .01") of a Kahr.
    Fit & finish (if Sig was a 10) is about a 8.9...and just as nice as the Springfield, Glock and Walthers.
    The price? MSRP was $389! Comes with 2 factory 8rd mags and shoots beautifully.

I get a GFD (that' a good friend discount) but even without that, the gun is $100's less than most any of the others listed. I am TOTALLY sold. It is my new EDC and rides so nicely at 5 o'clock in an IWB that rides low and comfortable. I am in love. They make a nickel slide version, but the black is sharp and a bit lighter...and no "flashy" look.

Good luck!
    Sproles

2. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

When considering a EDC pistol, my first concern is reliability. This why I carry a Glock.....lol.

3. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

When considering and EDC pistol, my first concern is whether I can use the trigger, then it's reliability. This is why I carry a 1911. Lol

Sent from left field using my telegraph

onebadwagon likes this.
  4. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Interesting stats on that one. The integral safety lock is an interesting feature. But the thing that struck me was the sights:
    Front Sight:Interchangeable Sig Sauer #8
    Rear Sight: Interchangeable Glock rear sight
    Good luck finding a trit set for that!

Evilbunnyreviews likes this.
  5. rickboone

rickboone Loaded Pockets

I have heard lots of good things about the Bersa and they are at a great price point.

6. Sproles

Sproles Loaded Pockets

Folks...the reasons I listed above were all secondary after reliability. I have no reports, read any reports, etc of poor reliability. Once you establish that - the basis on which you make a decision is completely yours...I just listed the "comparisons" of the important things (to me) when making this decision. It was not ALL based on price, size, etc.

7. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I've never fired a Bersa. Is the trigger like that of the Kahr - a true DAO - or is it more like a Glock or Springfield XD?

I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to find tritium sights, ac7ss. I've never been in a dynamic shooting situation where I had the time to line up my sights and take aim. Point. Shoot. Repeat as necessary.

Ultimately, reliability comes down to the gun in YOUR hand. There can be reports, good or bad, from friends, neighbors, the Interweb ... or Mars. None of them matter when the chips are down. Shoot your self-defense weapon. Shoot some more. After that, shoot some more. If it doesn't fail in 300 - 400 rounds or so, you're probably in pretty good shape. No gun is perfect, however. So, practice failure drills while you're doing that shooting.

Syclone1436 likes this.
  8. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I have two Bersas. The Thunder 380 in satin nickel finished slide/anodized aluminum frame, and the Thunder 45 Ultra Compact Pro in matte black. Both have been completely reliable and are very accurate. These are all-metal guns with DA/SA actions with external hammers. Both are based on Walther designs (PPK and P88).

I don't have one of the new polymer-framed BP9cc models myself so I can't comment on those.

A couple of active forums for Bersa pistols are www.bersachat.com and www.bersaforums.com if you want to learn more about them.

9. Byrdman

Byrdman Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have experience with the new Springfield xds .45?

10. mpphoto

mpphoto Loaded Pockets

Congrats on a great value/sleeper gun. We picked up the Bersa for my wife and we both think it was a great purchase. If I didn't already have a PPS I'd be tempted to get one. There are some nice little touches like the true ambi mag release and the short, sweet trigger reset.
    You can get tritium or fiber optic front sights for it from Dawson Precision. They also have a blacked-out rear sight or you can keep the stock rear. For mags and other accessories check out Condor's Flight.

I did a tabletop review with lots of pics comparing the BP9CC with my PPS in terms of size etc. My wife liked my Glock 26 but felt it was a little too thick for her to get a good grip. The single stack Bersa is a perfect fit.

[​IMG]

kye4some likes this.
  11. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Yes, and absolutely love it. The small compact size, and the recoil is very manageable for how light weight it is. You can also get the 7 round mags with extension.

12. DemskeetSkeet

Yes, and absolutely love it. The small compact size, and the recoil is very manageable for how light weight it is. You can also get the 7 round mags with extension.

13. DemskeetSkeet

14. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

Imo the kahr CM9 is the perfect CC gun. Compact. Reliable. Accurate.

15. Byrdman

Byrdman Loaded Pockets

Thank
    Thanks for the reply. I have been lurking around this gun and think i may go try it out.