1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

You haven't lived until...

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by MicroMike, Dec 13, 2015.

1. MicroMike

MicroMike Loaded Pockets

You've field striped a Ruger for cleaning including the bolt.

Any in house Ruger history gurus? Why would they design the take down that way? Seems excessively difficult.

Anyhow love the gun, wouldn't trade it for anything.

[​IMG]

2. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

Guess it's a Ruger thing. I hate cleaning my 22/45.

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

One big reason I snagged an SR22!
    Keep it Simple.

4. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Bill made it easy to manufacture , not to tear down .I have seen many of them come in gunshops as a box of parts:help: I shot mine about 15000 rounds one year . I just took the grips off and washed it out with carb or brake cleaner . Then relube it with Lps 1 . The best 22 pistol ever made . They just don't brake ! I bought a spare one but it never gets shot !

Jake

5. MicroMike

MicroMike Loaded Pockets

Not to mention how accurate and fun to shot...

I've thought about giving mine the spa treatment, internal parts upgrades target trigger, new barrel, reblueing lower...

But honestly it works perfect and nothing is overly wore out

Longbow_06 and Wishoot like this.
  6. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I know of at least two people who sold MK II's as a box of parts because they lost it trying to put them back together.

Once you get the feel for it it's not too bad, but you'll still have one time out of six that it kicks your butt.

7. MicroMike

MicroMike Loaded Pockets

Oh man why can't I meet someone like that. :(

I think it's only bad for me because my range time since my child was born is so few and far between I over oil everything. So trying to reassemble a MKII with oil hands can be a pain.

Longbow_06, Wishoot and CSM-101 like this.
  8. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

Did a Duracoat project on my 25 year old Mk II this summer. If you think field stripping is bad, detail strip one. I probably can field strip and reassemble mine in under a minute, tops. Detail strip took a good hour with 2 different videos from YouTube.

Longbow_06, Wishoot and MicroMike like this.
  9. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

Never liked 22 pistols for this reason. Always seem to have a bunch of fiddly crap that most "real" guns seems to have designed away. Except for a taurus 1911 with firing pin safety. That was a pain to assemble from parts. Come to think of it I have had to reassemble about 2 dozen guns from a box of parts. I guess my friends know who can do it right!!! I did take a browning bdm apart, it was so crudded up from a lifetime of shooting. All of the internal parts looked like lumps of coal. After cleaning I was left with a myriad of pins and small dodads and somehow I figured out how to put it back together. It took a while...

Longbow_06, Wishoot and IMWILSON like this.
  10. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Same thing with my Browning Buckmark. Just the most basic of take-down is a huge pain in the hooha. I don't bother anymore.

Run a bore-snake through it and call it clean.

11. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

Ruger's tool-less take down isn't that hard (until you get to the magazine safety Mk III - easy to get rid of though). There is a simple set of steps that make it almost fool-proof (nothing is to a sufficiently talented fool). Muzzle down, insert main spring assembly (do not close latch), pull trigger (puts hammer in fired position against bolt), rotate muzzle vertical (lets hammer strut fall back against main spring assembly), close MS latch.

Easy peasy... ;)

[​IMG]

70dart and Longbow_06 like this.
  12. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

as Jake commented, a can of brake cleaner and a toothbrush for the bolt face...brush through the chamber... blast of compressed air...a little lubricant, and a wipe down with Birchwood Casey Barricade (formerly the artist known as Sheath) for surface protection

Longbow_06 likes this.
  13. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

The Ruger MkI and MkII were based on the Japanese Nambu pistol of WWII.
    Hence the shape and take down procedure.
    I remember having to put my MkII together, while holding it upside down, for some reason.

Buckeye Jake and ran23 like this.
  14. Wolfman Zack
    • In Omnia Paratus

Wolfman Zack Loaded Pockets

The Ruger "Standard Model" .22 (pre MK- designation) was my first handgun.

The gunsmith at the shop showed me how to take it down and reassemble, and I never found it that hard, I even detail strip the bolt every few times I clean it to be sure the firing pin doesn't get stuck forward with fouling since there is no firing pin block in the early Rugers, and a seized up pin could cause a slamfire while loading.

They certainly are different, but once you get used to it they aren't that bad.
    I've worked on some pump shotguns that are far trickier.

Longbow_06 likes this.
  15. Scrub

Scrub Loaded Pockets

I just bought a 1961 Standard with a 6" barrel for $200 OTD w/ two mags. The first time I shot it it was hiccuping every few rounds, took it home and ran the bore snake through it then took a brush to anywhere I could reach and now it runs anything. The huge grin on my face everytime I shoot it is awesome.

16. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I've had my Mk2 since I was a kid, maybe 10 years old or so. I didn't get to keep it until I was old enough but it's very nostalgic to me. I actually don't really mind stripping and cleaning it but I've also done it many times now so I suppose that's why.

17. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

If this happens again, and you don't feel like a full cleaning job, place a drop of oil on the top round in the mag.
    It works like a charm ;)
    That's a great price OTD Btw.

Scrub likes this.
  18. AR15-SBR

AR15-SBR Empty Pockets

After you figure out the angle the hammer strut need to dangle at(angle of the dangle) the dissassembly and reassembly becomes ALOT easier.

I have taken mine apart SOO many times it's almost second nature. My buddy and I put approximately 156,000 rounds thru each of our Mark II's over a period of 3 years, 1000+ rounds a weekend for 3 Years. But, that was back when a brick cost $8.70.

Take it apart, study it, put it together and it will be a breeze.

AR15-SBR

Wolfman Zack likes this.
  19. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

I've got a friend that's a gunsmith and he calls me to dissemble and for reassembly of rugers including his own.

Bowman1911 and Wolfman Zack like this.
  20. Graylife

Graylife Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Totally agree, just finished cleaning it up. Had to refresh my memory with a video.

MicroMike likes this.