1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Yo Yos?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Tromba, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Don't label me a super nerd yet.

I used to play with yo yos as much as the next person when I was a kid. Basically meaning I messed around with them not really knowing what I was doing.

About 6 months ago on a whim I decided I wanted to learn how to really yo yo. So I bought one and went about teaching myself with the aid of youtube. I have really gotten into it, especially recently. I teach high school so I yo yo between classes, in the hallway, or whenever I have down time. The kids love it because I am the goofy teacher who yo yos (and wears bow ties).

I am now looking in to getting a few different pro style yo yos. I love it so much that it has almost worked its way into my EDC. I would say about 75% of the time I have one on me. It is a little bulky to just put in a pants pocket but if I wear a jacket I look at that as bonus storage and I will always have it with me. I definitely always slip it in my work bag.

So does anyone else EDC a yo yo? Any tips?

suburbDad and ManVsLawn like this.
  2. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

ManVsLawn likes this.
  3. Trave1ingEast

Trave1ingEast Loaded Pockets

I EDCed a Duncan Butterfly and Imperial YoYo's when I was a kid. Usually wound up in some teachers desk until the end of day.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  4. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My ears were burning.
    [​IMG]
    My full sized models.
    [​IMG]
    My pocket sized ones.

Sent by owl post.

5. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

CatherineM
    Nice Tom Kuhn pocket rockets & especially that flea!!! Here's my lil' guy.
    [​IMG]

Tromba likes this.
  6. airwayguru

airwayguru Loaded Pockets

I carry a Duncan Yo Yo I bought at Wal Mart. Its small and I can carry it al over the place.

Tromba likes this.
  7. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I'm a noob, I have yet to try a non-responsive. I'll get there eventually... Wish there were more hobby/game shops around here to take a few for test runs before committing.

Tromba likes this.
  8. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I picked up a Duncan Butterfly XT last week. I am just starting to learn some on the string tricks. Slow going but I am making some progress.

9. l_gong

l_gong Loaded Pockets

About 5-6 years ago I had a lot of yoyo’s, more than 60 items in collection plus several dozen have passed through my hands. Eventually I had to sell most part of my collection but I still left to myself a few of my main throws like e1ns pearl, g&e2p, first run project and some good-old wood items.. But overall my most favourite yo-yo’s are from Anti-Yo hi Sorrydad and a few months ago I started to collect them again.

10. Tyrolee

Tyrolee Loaded Pockets

So I recently found some awesome dollar tree, I guess thats the brand, yoyo's that are full metal and even have a bearing in them, but one is already getting modified as we speak, ill post a picture when I am done! :)
    [​IMG]

11. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm very new to the hobby as well but it seems like I did the same thing as I did with twisty puzzles... I went from the worst brand name (Rubik's) to one of the best for the price on the market (Dayan Guhong 2) without any middle ground. I went from a Duncan Imperial to a Yomega Maverick, which is smooth, bind response (rubber pad response), comfortable, nicely weighted, butterfly shaped, pretty unresponsive and can sleep for thirty seconds or more for me and gets some excellent reviews for a yo-yo in this price bracket. Mine's blue anodized with gold splash. It's pretty and I'm slowly learning some string tricks as the bearing breaks in :)

Tyrolee likes this.
  12. Tyrolee

Tyrolee Loaded Pockets

So what do you guys think of my mod job? I painted it, added weight, cleaned, lubed, and smoothed out all the internals. And for a buck, the original yoyo could not have been beat!

[​IMG]

tooiewah and kertap75 like this.
  13. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yo-yos?? In a school???!?! Yo-yos are polynesian weapons, everyone knows that! You may as well carry a knife to school!!!

(In case the surfeit of ? and ! didn't clue you in, I'm being sarcastic and making fun of stupid malum prohibidum rules...also, this is why I only carry a top!)

Bowman1911, ran23 and thePlumbah like this.
  14. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

love it. my 7th grade yo yo club skills have actually helped me out with networking at my place of work. people think it's comical that I could do tricks and it opens up what other 'nerdy' hobbies that they would have.

15. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I carry mine to school. I almost took a seminarian's head off once. I may be studying for a masters in theology, but I'm still a naughty catholic school girl at heart.

kd7dvd likes this.
  16. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

love yo yos. can do decent loops and around the world... i need to get me one again. used to have this cheap yoyo that came with clutz books..

17. tankmbt

tankmbt Loaded Pockets

My two year old has really taken a liking to "playing" with yoyos with me. At first I had just dug out an old Imperial Butterfly and Yomega RPM I had from years ago.

In the past two days I've picked up a Duncan Pro Z and a Yoyo Factory Hubstack. Pretty happy with both of them, especially since Dicks had the Hubstack miss marked on the price. They honored the displayed price, about half what they're going for online.

Already picked up a few new tricks and playing with the Hubstack is amazing.

Does anyone know of any easy ways to get more spin time out of stock bearings? I have lube I use on my knives but wasn't sure if it was appropriate for such a small precise bearing.

18. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

I was just thinking the same thing--modify a metal one--and if you miss it would come back to you.

19. l_gong

l_gong Loaded Pockets

Just put bearings in a tin with zippo gasoline and shake well for a few minutes. It will dissolve stock lube. Also after this process you can add a drop of thin or thick lube in bearing but it’s not necessarily.