1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Y'know what?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by DCBman, Sep 20, 2016.

1. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

Judging by the number of draftsmen in this thread, it wouldn't be out of place to take a moment and mention the Leroy. I know, it's not a pencil in the true sense but it did have a pencil attachment. I had a pretty nice Leroy set and it got used into the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DCBman likes this.
  2. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Uh-Oh.
    Where to start?
    Where to buy?

DCBman likes this.
  3. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Fan-Rang 173 Well, if you're asking; the following are some good places to look for wooden pencils...

If you want to learn about some of the pencils out there, brandnamepencils.com has a pretty comprehensive list. They sell vintage pencils too. Many still available.

Pencils.com is a good source for Palominos (Blackwings, Golden Bears and Prospectors) along with Generals, and some Faber Castells. They've also got some Caran de Ache, Kitaboshi and a few others.

Jetpens is a decent source for Mitsu-bishi's and Tombows

For more Faber Castells you can go direct to Faber Castell

Ticonderoga's you can get most anywhere (amazon, office supply places), just make sure you get the real ones. There's some fakes out there.

Koh-I-Noor's you can get from brandnamepencils.com

For Berol's (like the famed Mirado Black Warrior), Eberhard (Black Velvet and MONGOL's)...good luck! (Let me know when you find some that don't cost an arm and a leg!)

baccar-3 likes this.
  4. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

JetPens is also good for Staedtler Lumograph pencils.

--flatline

5. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Ha! There's a memory!! I've got a K&E Leroy machine also, with all the different font size rulers (including italics, which you don't see often)...along with a whole drafting cabinet of other stuff (precision compasses, triangles, templates, wood pencils in all hardness's, all manner of leads and lead holders, inking pens, chartpak tapes, different grades of erasers, eraser bags, eradicator fluids, etc.)

TECENG likes this.
  6. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

People don't generally seem to notice when I use a wooden pencil or mechanical pencil. I do, however, get lots of comments when I pull out a 2mm lead holder. People seem to think they're "old-style pencils", whatever that means.

--flatline

7. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

It means you're old :p

Nick4305 likes this.
  8. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

People notice when I'm using wooden pencils all the time! They always ask..."where did you get that old school pencil?" Or, they say something like..."wow, I haven't seen one of those in a really long time." Just for fun I'll usually show it to them and ask..."you mean one of these Palomino Prospector pencils (or some other brand of quality wood pencil)?", which will usually precipitate a surprised comment/question about there being a distinction between pencils. In a lot of cases this will spark a fun conversation about wooden pencils in general. People are often surprised to see a really nice aromatic cedar pencil (others have never even seen one before). It's kind of fun to see people get really interested in something. Just a little transfer of knowledge and interest and they're hooked. Next thing you know they're asking where they too can get some.

When I was a kid (many moons ago, as you probably guessed) I always used to look forward to sharpening a brand new wood pencil. There was something about the new squared eraser and shiny full length pencil. Anymore, I can't wait for a pencil to get sharpened down a ways, and the eraser to get kind of worn. They have more 'character' like that, when they've been used. Sometimes I really look forward to using a started pencil, and almost feel bad in a way when one has to be finally retired.

I'm sure this will sound completely NUTS, but I'm actually writing a book about a pencil! Not something I'll bet you thought someone could write a book on, huh? Without giving the whole plot away, it's a semi-fiction / philosophy book (meaning it is part tale and part metaphor); it's basically about a pencil that starts out as a tree (with all sorts of analogies about what trees represent), which is ultimately turned into a pencil. The 'zen' like "consciousness" of the tree is transferred to the pencil. And, like the stoic nature of a tree, the pencil quietly 'observes' (in a manner of speaking) all that it writes (i.e. records history...like the rings of a tree) .

Maybe someday I'll even finish that book.

9. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Heck, you don't even need that much of a reason. Just the simple enjoyment of smelling a freshly sharpened pencil is enough to go buy some nice cedar pencils!

iacchus likes this.
  10. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

By the way, another decent source for pencils is Dick Blick Art Supply. They've got a fair selection with some really good prices. Not a huge selection, but decent. No Palominos, Uni or Tombows there though.

11. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love writing in pencils, but I also love pens- I love writing in longhand in general. My current favorite pencils are Staedtler Noricas, General Semi-Hex and Cedar Pointe, USA Gold (great for budget pencils IMHO) and Musgrave Test Scoring 100.

If the Musgraves weren't so darn smeary and if the points lasted longer they'd probably be my be-all, end-all writing pencil. They write oh so buttery smooth for the money they cost. Haven't tried 602s yet, though, so that opinion may well change.

ETA: My favorite pocket sharpener is the M+R Grenade, but my heart will always belong to the CARL Angel-5...

ETA2: Mumbojumboo The Ticonderoga Black was originally called the Millenium or Millennial wasn't it?

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  12. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ding ding ding. We have a winner!

DCBman and thatotherguy like this.
  13. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

These are my favorite of the locally available budget pencils. They seem less popular than the Dixon Ticonderoga and Dixon No 2 pencils, but the lead feels better to me.

--flatline

DCBman and thatotherguy like this.
  14. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

What an awesome thread! As a newcomer to pencils in general(beyond generic dixon yellows in my school days of course), I am fascinated by them. I've only bought some Dixon Ticonderoga Black no 2's, but I'd really like to sample some of the "premier" pencils of the world and see what the big deal is. Any suggestions? Are the Blackwings(the new ones) worth a shot?

DCBman likes this.
  15. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Jetpens has a lot of pencils that you can buy individually, so you can make your own sampler of premier pencils. That's what I did a couple of years ago.

I never found a place where I could buy an individual Blackwing, so I ended up buying a box of the Blackwing 602. It's an excellent pencil, but the lead is a little on the soft side for my tastes and requires constant sharpening. The other Blackwings have even softer lead so I haven't tried them.

My personal favorites are the Mitsubishi Hi-Uni and the Staedtler Lumograph, but there are lots of excellent pencils to choose from once you get above the $0.75 per pencil price range.

--flatline

DCBman likes this.
  16. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

A second vote for Jetpens. I also get pencils from pencils.com and Dick Blick Art Supply. Blackwings really are pretty darn good. The black ones are way too soft for me though. The 602's are nice, albeit a little soft also. You should definitely try the Mitsu-bishi Hi Uni pencil. Try one in an "F" hardness. They write forever it seems before needing sharpening and lay down a pretty solid line doing it. One thing you will notice is Japanese lead is definitely softer than US and European lead in the same grade of hardness. I like the Japanese grading better. A good example of this is 'HB' hardness. By western standards HB is a No. 2 pencil, however a Japanese HB would never be confused with a 2H pencil. The difference is like the difference between writing with a 2H pencil and a 3H pencil, both of which are pretty hard unlike an HB which is very soft (by the Japanese system). The 'F' is an interesting compromise.

17. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Absolutely! But keep in mind that they are very, very soft. They do not really compare to other pencils, as I believe the lead has a special component (wax?) mixed in with the graphite. Anyway, they are certainly a lot softer than 2B, which happens to be the hardness of the second softest pencil I own.

This means that the Blackwings (602s) would probably not be your best choice if you use your pencils for taking notes in pocket notebooks. They are so soft that the writing will actually be smeared a bit by the the pages rubbing together. On the other hand, they are perfect for sketching and drawing, and for taking quick notes on loose leaf paper. They are also quite good for marking wood or other non-paper surfaces.

Because they are so soft, the Blackwings write very smoothly with very little pressure. This makes them great for young school children, people who write a lot, and others who tend to put to much pressure on their writing tools, grip their pens or pencils too hard, and/or experience tired, cramped hands after writing for a period of time. I find that the slogan "Half the pressure - twice the speed" actually holds true.

DCBman likes this.
  18. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

gadgetguy35 Another thing is to get a good pencil sharpener. I use all hand sharpeners (the thought of sticking a nice pencil in the normal electric 'garbage disposal' type sharpener sends chills down my spine!). I strongly recommend the T'GAAL multisharpener. They're about $6 bucks, and you can vary the tip angle (I like a 2-2.5 point...whereas a standard sharpener will sharpen to about a 4-5 tip). A good analogy of these angles would be something like this; a 2.5 point is akin to a golf pencil and a 4 tip would be like what you got out of a hand crank pencil sharpener in grade school. The ability to vary the angle on the tip is really important for matching the tip angle to your writing style.

19. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies! I'm really glad I waited to read this before pulling the trigger on the lot of 602's I was going to grab last night. I had a feeling I should wait before dropping $12 for three pencils.

Soft lead isn't really up my alley, because 90% of my writing is in smaller notebooks. I'm going to start using only pencil in my planner at work, right now the only pencil I have in my arsenal is the Dixon Ticonderoga Black 2HB. I'm going to check out Jetpens today though, and hopefully have a couple more to try out on the way soon.

I think this may be my new favorite thread!

20. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

gadgetguy35 If you're going to Jetpens definitely try the UNI Mitsubishi HI-UNI pencil in an "F" hardness. It sounds like it will fit exactly what you are looking for. You will be hooked!