1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Y'know what?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by DCBman, Sep 20, 2016.

1. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

My favorite topic on this forum is something to do with pens, pencils and paper. I check it 50x per day. I don't know why I like them so much, but I just do.

I wish there was more interest in this topic (to me it seems vital), but there isn't.

When it comes to "pencils", man, I'm all in. I just love the things. I go through these phases with my pens (fountain pens, inks and gels), but then I come back to pencils. I love them all. Oh, and paper, don't even get me started.

Yeah, there are a lot of specialized forums for pens, pencils and paper. However, to me the 'EDC' element of writing instruments and paper is attractive. Again, I don't know why, but it is.

A pen (fountain or gel) doesn't often share its wealth with anyone but the user. A pencil, on the other hand, shares its wealth with everyone in the room. (the smell, the intrigue, the lifespan).

I know, I'm probably nuts, but it's how I feel.

I love 'em all! and the paper...oh, my gosh!

2. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

edit to add...I like topics on general use. Sure, we can all show a new pencil or pen, maybe a pad of paper, but how we all use it is where the "rubber meets the road" in my opinion.

I know, I'm probably a dork this way, but it's who I am.

3. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

What we write in a journal, or a notebook as just a note is so personal. It's so timeless. It's history.

It's sad to me that the written word is such a lost art in the digital age. True creativity came by a pencil and a pen on paper, and I challenge anyone to say different!

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

DCBman: have you visited the Fountain Pen Network site? You should check it out... If you think we're enablers here, hold onto your wallet over there! ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

DCBman, Gary Gross and Ataki like this.
  5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I use approximately 2.5 pencils per week. I've been collecting data for years. what kind do you like?

Pic is about a year ago but that's my 9 to 5, 5 days a week EDC.

[​IMG]DSCF9780 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

sungame, ecksdog and DCBman like this.
  6. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I like Palamino's generally, although I do have a pretty good stock of old vintage pencils (Berol's, etc.). I have some Mitsubishi's also. I'm fairly certain I have more pencils than I'll ever be able to use.

sungame and Mumbojumboo like this.
  7. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

Interesting to see someone who is so enthused by the pencil - I usually go for a pen first, of course because a pen is easier for me to use and the result of writing is easier to see than with a pencil. In addition, a pen has a cap or is retractable, whereas with a pencil in your pocket, you have to deal with that nasty point by encasing the pencil in something that takes up more room.

However, I can see your point about using lead on paper - there is something old school about it, and satisfying. And, of course, it can be erased.

DCBman and Mumbojumboo like this.
  8. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Depends on your profession. My job mandates pencils.

Die hard Ticonderoga fan but after they were sold I sadly had to move on. The quality is getting better but there was a few years where they wouldn't roll because they were so warped. same happened with old brass Kum wedge. Never thought they would disappear but mercury in the brass was strange. You can still get them from Europe but at this point why? So for the last 5years or so magnesium Kum sharpener and General cedar pointes.

[​IMG]WIN_20160921_170616 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

That's about a year for me. Six dozen pencils and sharpeners I loose or give away. I find them everywhere. I think sometimes, why is that guy carrying so many knives and I have 3 pencil sharpeners on me.

Edit: the mag Kums have two extra blades on the side. That is a huge bonus!!

DCBman likes this.
  9. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

I am a big fan of Palominos also, especially the Prospector but Generals have better erasers.

sungame and DCBman like this.
  10. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Funny, I LOVE Ticonderogas, especially the black ones (which are kind of hard to find). It's hard to find a Ticonderoga 3 (my favorite) anymore, but I can deal with 2's and HB's...

Yes, I have a number of Prospectors also (probably 4 gross). Those are nice, but the white erasers get hard after a while unless humidified.

As for sharpeners, I have many, several electrics which I don't like very much, but my favorites are the manual hand sharpeners. I like a shorter sharp point. And with a manual sharpener you get the full value of the smell, on a quality cedar pencil.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  11. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

I am a pencil guy myself. Always have one. For me it was a practical thing. In the field for weeks at a time, all kinds of weather, it always wrote. Several generations of my range books are all pencil entries. You really can sharpen them on a rock and keep on going. Last few years I have taken to using carpenters pencils cut in half for my range books.

Mumbojumboo and DCBman like this.
  12. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I have a couple hundred Blackwings. Those are really nice pencils. Very soft, but they always work, and are a true delight.

I honestly believe the Blackwing is the top of the line...not cheap though.

sungame and Mumbojumboo like this.
  13. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

This thread makes me want to go but some pencils.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  14. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Honestly, you will not regret it! Just make sure you get a sharpener too. You can buy a $1 kids sharpener in the office supply store even, they actually work pretty well!

I have some more expensive ones, but honestly; they don't do that much better (for $40-50 dollars more).

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  15. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

The only time pencils get used around here are for the kids homework.

But I think that might just be reason enough.

DCBman and Mumbojumboo like this.
  16. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

I really wanted to like Black Wings but I just don't get the eraser. It makes no sense to me. I have to admit that I have been in school for over 40years.

DCBman likes this.
  17. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

kums are 2bucks. Nothing better. I started the " Show us pics of your writing instrument' thread. Years ago, I just don't think they really use what they post. I never go there.

DCBman likes this.
  18. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DCBman. Dixon Ticonderoga black or Ticonderoga black. There is a difference.

DCBman likes this.
  19. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Remember when you were a kid, and you sharpened a pencil...there was just this smell, it was so relaxing. Well, "real" pencils haven't changed. They still smell that way.

It's just now, we all write better...and they're more fun than ever. Oh, and they even smell better too!!! And, as you write with them they mark on anything just about. A nice pencil just glides over the paper.

Sometimes, a heavily used piece of paper, with lots of notes gets a smear or two with the graphite. Even better; it's original. It just screams "this is an original work"!

Not any pen can say this!!

Throwing away a heavily notated sheet of paper, done in pencil, is actually difficult. There is character, personality...it's almost alive.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  20. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I did not say Dixon...I was very specific about Ticonderoga Black. Yes, there is a VERY big difference!!

Mumbojumboo likes this.