1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Yet another HELP ME thread.... sorry

Discussion in 'Watches' started by USMA_Hopeful, Dec 24, 2017.

1. USMA_Hopeful

USMA_Hopeful Loaded Pockets

I am currently in the market for a new watch. I have been rocking a Casio G-Shock DW-5600E for almost five years now, and it's been a great watch. The band is starting to crack though, and the rubber bumper on the watch face has broken in multiple places, and it is hardly hanging on. I am interested in something like a NATO watch, but I am also drawn to Luminox's simple, analog watches that are rugged and still look professional. I haven't been in the EDC scene for a few years, so I don't know what's new and good anymore. I need a watch, or two watches, that I can wear in the field, since I am in the National Guard, but also one that doesn't look entirely out of place in a suit. I don't know whether to purchase a new G-Shock like the one I currently own, because I have had zero issues with it, and then save for a more expensive one to wear on nice occasions, or to buy something like a Luminox that will work in both roles. Why not just buy a Luminox, one might ask. I would love to, but I can't really swing that much. I would prefer to only spend $150 on a watch, but I am flexible. I need something that is durable in either case, because I tend to be hard on my things. I would prefer analog, but digital is okay, and I would like a date feature and some type of illumination.

Last edited by USMA_Hopeful, Dec 24, 2017
    #1 USMA_Hopeful, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    jcombs likes this.
  2. USMA_Hopeful

USMA_Hopeful Loaded Pockets

If anyone knows a reliable place to purchase Luminox watches at a lower price than MSRP, I would appreciate that as well.

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'd say replace the G-Shock. As of this moment Amazon is showing that exact model for $37.37 (that seems to be a sale price - Amazon says normal prices is like $69); if you don't need immediate receipt of the watch you can have free shipping. Or if you want to spend more you can get the solar/atomic clock synch version at $140 (yikes. I got that for $95 in October!).

At the sale price for the G-shock it should leave you some budget for a second watch that you'd feel good with in a suit. Plenty of nice watches in that budget range! If you are even mildly tempted by an automatic, take a look at the wide range of Seiko 5 and Seiko 5 Sports.

Note that I am biased -- the G shock and the Seiko 5 Sports are my favorite watch series!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

stockae92 and USMA_Hopeful like this.
  4. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Luminox, especially in their entry level models, have had some QC issues lately. I’d steer you in another direction, probably to replace the 5600 you have or at least the band and then find a watch you could wear when the G isn’t nice enough.

There are lots of nice options in $100 range for sporty/dress watches. Take a look at the Orient Bambino and Seiko 5 series for an automatic or the Bulova Accutron Surveyor if you’d prefer a quartz.

Use watch sleuth to find a Seiko http://www.watchsleuth.com/seiko5finder/

Use eBay to find a Bambino or Bulova.

Good luck

5. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

Since you are beating up your watch every day, I would lean more towards getting either a Casio G-Shock or Timex Ironman shock resistant model. Either one should fit your bill on functionality, just pick the cheaper one. When it quit in 5 yrs, replace it.

With the $100 left, you can either save it up for a nice watch down the road, or get a Seiko / Citizen for occasion of which you need a nicer watch.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I vote replacing the G-shock as well. That seems to be the most practical option.

7. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

Another vote for buying another G Shock.

8. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

Sounds like you’re looking for a dressy diver. The most common choice is the Seiko 007. But if you absolutely can’t spring for the 007 (and its relatives) the Citizen Promaster is a good alternative for ~$150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

I bought a Tissot PR100 fro a pawn shop in my area for $90.00 and couldn't be happier. It works as a everyday watch that I can wear to work and out on the town. I have several other watches because I am old and time can afford you more things, but the Tissot is my current favorite. I have a G-Shock DW 9250 that is older than my youngest adult child...I made a paracord bracelet for it to replace the old strap and it still hangs out with me on the weekends.

jcombs and Moshe ben David like this.
  10. acidmaker

acidmaker Loaded Pockets

If you are interested in automatic movement perhaps, then I recommend SEIKO SNZG15