1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Yet another G Shock thread

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Fusilier, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

I have and EDC an analog G Shock solar that I bought here on EDC Forums quite a few years ago. I'm looking for a second watch to add to the stable and I'm having a hell of a time finding one I want to spend on.

First off, is it just me or does Casio seem to think that actually displaying the time is not important to a watch user? I want a watch that displays the time in BIG BOLD EASY TO READ numbers. It appears to me that most Casio digital watches have small digits that are kind of hidden among a number of other indicators or even just a small portion of the entire watch face.

So, first off, I want as big display numbers as I can get.

Second, it must be solar powered. Historically I've found that watches that take batteries are utterly no longer waterproof once the battery is replaced for the first time. There's a reason my current watch has lasted probably close to a decade and that's because the back has never had to come off.

I'd like one with the atomic time setting, even though being here on the east coast of Canada means there is no wireless signal that'll reach me but I do occasionally travel further into the middle of the continent and it's a feature I'd like to have.

I'm not interested in square shaped watches as they remind me off the first digital watches (anyone else remember having to push a button to light up the red LED time). I just don't find them attractive at all.

Lastly, the watch and its strap need to be black or grey or something subdued. I don't care for metal straps and I certainly wouldn't be caught dead with a florescent green or yellow or orange watch or strap. Let's just summarize that they are not my style.

So, I'm looking for a tough solar, atomic, black, G Shock with BIG numbers. Why is this so darn hard to find.

Closest I've found is the GWM530A-1. Not perfect as the numbers could be bigger. I also can't find a downloadable manual for it because the Casio web site wants the module number off the back which I don't have as I don't have the watch yet.

2. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I've been looking for a similar spec. Big number solar Gshocks (analogues at least) are a rare beast unless you go stupid money - and they aren't THAT clear either. The strap issue could solved by swapping it for a dark one. Mudmaster numbers look quite big but the whole watch would look massive on my spindly wrist.

The closest I got to solving it was moving sideways - I looked at a Casio protrek that was a clearer option and the gshocks cheaper cousin Tough Solar model
    AQ-S810W-1AVEF - not atomic though. After all that somehow, I've ended up with a Fitbit!

Fusilier likes this.
  3. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

I found GW6900 number to be bold and easy to read. Its solar atomic, you can display 2nd timezone in current time mode to make it a GMT watch. And its not square :)

I highly recommend getting a GW5000 strap for it, its uber comfortable. And all for under $100? (should be do-able)

[​IMG]

Or give GD350 a try. The display is huge. Its battery powered but listed with 5yr battery life, and will last longer if you don't use alarm and LED everyday.

http://www.casio.com/products/watches/g-shock/gd350-8

Something like Pathfinder PRW3100 is great too, but its not a G-Shock. Easy to read, and the STN display is supposed to be more crisp.

http://protrek.com/asia-mea/en/watches/PRW-3100_3000series/

Moshe ben David and Fusilier like this.
  4. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

There was a similar thread on another forum. There are several models that might fit your needs but the consensus was that these 2 are probably the best at offering what you are after.

MTG 910

GW-M850

Fusilier likes this.
  5. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

MTG 910 looks good but it is no longer made and the strap is metal. I do like the face though - best time digits I've seen on a G Shock I think so far. I suppose if I could find one, I could swap out the strap.

GW-M850 has smaller time digits and it looks like it only comes in white. Not fond of it but thanks for the suggestion.

jcombs likes this.
  6. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

The GWM530A-1 is one option. Available on Amazon.ca, priced not too bad, not a metallic strap. Wish the time digits were bigger but this one is still in the running.

7. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Look for the MTG M900, newer version and easier to find. Probably can swap the bracelet with a Jays and Kay's adaptor and put it on a NATO.

The 850 series is harder to find in a color other than white. There are some inexpensive bezel and strap replacements on eBay and Pacparts. eBay has the black bezel/strap for under $30 and Pacparts is probably cheaper than that.

8. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

The MTGM900DA-8CR is kind of nice. It's not black or subdued but it is available and it does have a better than average display. The metal band gets good reviews. The only problem is that while under $100 US on Amazon.com, these are listed for over $250 Canadian on Amazon.ca. That's too speedy for a second watch, at least for now.

9. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

While not atomic it is solar powered, the PRG-270 is a great watch with a LONG track record. Also the SGW-1000-1ACR has larger numbers and is solar powered. Any of the Pro Treks are solar / atomic with large numbers.

Fusilier likes this.
  10. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

I like the simple/uncomplicated faces of the ProTreks but they still seem to be very large watches for relatively small time digits. I haven't ruled them out yet though.

11. Barbourman04

Barbourman04 Loaded Pockets

Rangeman [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

+1 on the G shock GW6900!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

13. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

Sorry but the time digits on the GW900 and the Rangeman are way too small for my preferences.