1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

xbanker's EDC-related & other questionable ramblings

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by xbanker, Nov 12, 2015.

1. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

:nah_disagree:
    Dear God Man! Stop trying to be Jon, AKA "the 3 days straight at least workaholic", and GO TO FRACKING BED!

And do me a favor... stay out of Alaska. I think the earthquakes are following you around, and I don't need one.. ;) :p

2. Unagi42
    • In Omnia Paratus

Unagi42 EDC Junkie!!!!!

No hurry mate, I redirected them to the other thread and I tagged you to keep you abreast.
    News when you have it and advice when Jon is better.
    As AK said, go to bed.;)

3. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Funny thing. When retired in '01, swore I'd transform into epitome of laid-back, major change from my working-self. Turns out, 30-years' habit difficult to change. So, I embrace it (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em). Just thankful that at my advanced age :), able to do "stuff." Not everyone as fortunate.

You'll be happy to learn, no immediate plans to visit Alaska, though it's prominent on my bucket list. Have to imagine, you must give thanks everyday that you live there.

4. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

So, some discussion in Ben Rubinstein EDC-thread about the state of the union in our world here (e.g. Jon, the store, the forum), starting with Ben's own post here.
    Please remember, I don't/can't speak for Jon. Can't predict the future. But, not shy about sharing my candid thoughts as just another EDCF'er, but one who's been to beautiful, downtown Ponca City. :)

Jon's condition: as shared in post #38, I see 1000% improvement vs. condition pre-surgery, when I first arrived. You'd have to see it to believe it. Jon's convinced me that he'll dutifully go to hospital everyday to get wound repacked, as doctor ordered. Even once I'm gone, and not here to nag him. Believe he recognizes, surgery was a "gift," and now he needs to do his part.

Store-related: Jon's under no illusions. Knows the past few months' interruption to store routine has put him behind the proverbial 8-ball, and he's going to have to bust his butt to get back on track. It's no secret: inventory thin; some products, inventory completely exhausted; unfulfilled orders exist; recordkeeping behind. Reasonable to assume, income has suffered.

My guess — a week's worth of persistent, efficient, (mostly) uninterrupted work would mostly get things to a reasonable state. That is, assess inventory; touch base with key suppliers; records reconciled and in reasonable order; identify unfulfilled orders (most already known, some maybe not), ship those orders where item is in inventory, and notify customer if item(s) not in inventory, and shipping delayed until he can remedy. Imagine Jon will proactively offer refunds in this latter instance.

No question, this a lot of work for one guy, especially one whose post-surgery endurance is untested. Wish I could stay and help, but much as my wife likes Jon, I'd better be pulling into our driveway NLT 11/23, or xbanker will be x-alive (Thanksgiving, out-of-town relatives @ xbanker household). Key to pulling this off: prioritize tasks, focus on one task at a time, don't waste time on things that aren't important right now, DON'T GET DISTRACTED ON THE FORUM, work at comfortable, reasonable pace so don't end up back in hospital.

The hardest part for Jon will be to resist the inevitable temptation to get sucked into "activity traps;" that is, trying to juggle too many things at one time, rather than focus on one task to completion. Otherwise, nothing will get done/finished/resolved. Followed closely by avoidance of distractions (STAY OFF THE FORUM!).

IMO, the store isn't irreparably broken. Truly believe, with concerted effort and proper management, can come back stronger than ever. EDCF'ers have proved to be a loyal, understanding bunch. And because the forum and the store are inextricably linked, by extension, the forum could/should remain healthy. Just one guy's opinion.

Ben's observation about supporter badges helping is true. Jon doesn't like to "push" the badges. Resisted when first suggested by members some years ago, feeling he was "getting something for nothing." That's not true; and many other gear-themed forums we're familiar with offer similar means of member support. Participation is a great gesture, but no one thinks less of a member for not having a badge. We've all got unique life-circumstances and necessary priorities. And fun is still free here. :) Wish system was automated to handle "gift" badges for others.

OK, Comfort Inn is now serving breakfast. I'm outta here!

5. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

+1000 Jon' s improved health. As a still relatively new member( a little over a year) here, I have really enjoyed being part of this community. I pray for Joh's continued improvement, and will do what I can to support! Thanks xbanker for the update, and Ben Rubinstein for the suggestion!

6. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

Thanks for the update Xbanker.

7. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

Absolutely. Jon's health comes first-- we can abide the rest, gladly. Thanks for all your time and effort on Jon's behalf!

8. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Comfort Inn self made waffles. :hungry:

9. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Good update XB and thanks for paying Jon a visit.

One note to add, folks can donate privately by sending funds to contributions@edcforums.com; which is an EDCF only paypal account going straight to Jon.

(Fixed your link for member Ben R. as well).

Gilatabar, Nick4305, Unagi42 and 7 others like this.
  10. Ben Rubinstein

I was wondering why I got a alert of a quote from that long ago! :D

Gilatabar, Nick4305, Unagi42 and 3 others like this.
  11. AK Adventurer

I'm going to assume at this point you made it home in time, and this isn't your first thanksgiving from the great beyond after the wife slaughtered you... ;) :p

Happy Thanksgiving Dan! :wavespin:

Gilatabar, Nick4305, xbanker and 10 others like this.
  12. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Back home for some days. Just ahead of bunch of nasty weather. Left Jon better than I found him. :p

Thanksgiving was awesome. Always good to see favorite out-of-state relatives. @ Thanksgiving: the three forces who play me like a puppet :D : granddaughter, daughter and Ms. X.

Thanksgiving2015(6) (Medium).JPG

13. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thankfully they take after your wife and not you. :D

14. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Happy New Year!

15. Ben Rubinstein

16. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Happy 2016, xbanker !

AK Adventurer, mole, Brtsmpsn and 5 others like this.
  17. AK Adventurer

Hey XB! your thread is dying! post something! ;) :D

Just saw you post a couple other places, just wanted to jerk yer chain and check in on you. :)

Lynx likes this.
  18. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Hey my friend! Thanks for stopping by to smack me upside the head (figuratively speaking of course :)).

Last week was first time on forum in 60-days, since my last post on Dec 1. Oklahoma trip put behind on to-do list around the homefront (according to Ms X), followed by usual holiday turmoil, and the real time-suck, four separate sets of out-of-state visitors post-Christmas (friends/relatives escaping Midwest weather). Getting back into a routine proving to be a challenge. :frantic:

On an EDC-related note (it's a stretch, I know), I'll share a new sign on the interstate, not 1/2-mile from my house. It's those critters the gold miners used to carry some of their EDC, then turned loose in the wild once gold mining withered. They've multiplied (BLM estimates around 5,000 roaming AZ). Sometimes problematic. They don't co-exist well with semi-trucks.

burrowarning1-1.JPG

Working on an EDC-related project I'll share here next week or so, once get decent photos taken (need to justify the recent $$$ spent on new camera and lenses and ... :) ).

AK Adventurer and Lynx like this.